Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual instruments - recommendations for newbie who needs "general purpose" software

Options
  • 18-09-2008 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

Hi folks... I know this is probably one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions, but I'll ask anyway... what would you recommend as a good piece of "virtual instrument" type software to start off with?

The style of music is kind of melodic pop/rock (I hate that description, but can’t really think of a better one… it may be easier to say what it’s not – i.e. it’s not metal, dance, hip-hop or reggae).

My home set up is used mainly for recording my acoustic drums. I have just started to record very basic demo type stuff on my acoustic guitar (micing the guitar) or electric guitar (micing the amp). I then add in acoustic drums & vox to get a very basic demo.

My set up is:
    – 2Ghz Intel iMac/2Gb RAM running PT LE 7.4.2 (Leopard)
    – Digi003 rack with Behringer ADA8000 preamp via light-pipe
    – Various mics (the standard drum ones… SM57s, AKGD112, Rode NT5s…)
    – Newly acquired Axiom 25 midi interface/trigger pad (which I’m hoping to be able to use with whatever virtual instruments I end up using)

I’d now like to be able to add some bass guitar/keyboards/percussion/loops and am hoping to do this via a virtual instrument pack.

When I originally got PT LE, there was a lot of extra software bundled with it (Ignition Pack 2). While it seemed like there was loads of good stuff in the bundle, I’ve been playing around with it recently, and as far as I can tell, it’s either fx/plug-ins or it’s all demos/lite versions with little (if any) software that’s capable of actually emulating an instrument. Here’s a list of what I got:

• Ableton Live Lite 6 Digidesign Edition
    • Propellerhead Software Reason Adapted 3
    • IK Multimedia AmpliTube LE
    • FXpansion BFD Lite
    • Celemony Melodyne uno essential
    • Digidesign Xpand! by Advanced Instrument Research (A.I.R.)
    • Way Out Ware TimewARP 2600 Lite
    • Arturia Analog Factory SE
    • Structure lite
    • iZotope effects: Ozone 3 Lite, Trash Lite, and Spectron Lite

So, my question is this – if I wanted to get “general purpose” software that is:
    1. Capable of producing bass/keyboard/piano/synth/percussion
    2. Is compatible with my set up
    3. Can be played/controlled via an Axiom 25
    4. Relatively easy to use. I play drums, some guitar – and two finger (!) piano
    5. Costs between €100-200

… what would you recommend? Can any of the stuff in Ignition Pack actually be used to make music, or do I need to upgrade?

I have been trawling through various websites for about a week now, but I’m really none the wiser as to what would suit best

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

you have everything you need to get you started already in that pack.

if you want to get some full version software i would recomend saving a few extra quid and plum for native instruments kontakt 3 sampler €400rrp (although you'll find it cheaper than that if you shop around)

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=kontakt3

the sample library it comes with is unreal and its a very very flexible sampler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Yeah - that's what I thought... and it's what the Digidesign blurb tells me!... but when I actually try to use the software, I seem to keep coming up against "this is a demo only, so you have to upgrade if you really want to use this software" type messages.

This has happened with:
    • FXpansion BFD Lite
    • Structure lite

... I'll go back through all the user guides again - maybe I'm just not using this stuff properly and/or there's a problem with version compatability... I bought PT 7.4, but upgraded to 7.4.2 recently (since it's approved for Leopard). Not sure if that's what's causing the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

I picked up sampletank for my laptop rig as a Jack of all trades master of none solution. Doing the trick nicely. massive library of stuff.

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Yeah - that's what I thought... and it's what the Digidesign blurb tells me!... but when I actually try to use the software, I seem to keep coming up against "this is a demo only, so you have to upgrade if you really want to use this software" type messages.

This has happened with:
    • FXpansion BFD Lite
    • Structure lite

... I'll go back through all the user guides again - maybe I'm just not using this stuff properly and/or there's a problem with version compatability... I bought PT 7.4, but upgraded to 7.4.2 recently (since it's approved for Leopard). Not sure if that's what's causing the problem.

the problem is that each of those have limited useability (such as limited track count in live, disabled saves on some synths, limited outputs in others ect) and work arounds are needed to get the ideas down. it can be done by rendering everything you do to audio but then you're working with short audio clips and missing out on the power of the synths engines..

like i said have a think about kontakt or like ^^ said sampletank xl 2.5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Thanks for that ... I had a look at kontakt & sampletank xl 2.5. They look great, but at €400 are more than I've bdugeted for. Any other suggestions?... would I be better off upgrading to the full version of Reason or Ableton? They cost about the same

Actually, I just checked & it seems owners of Reason Adapted can upgrade to Reason 4 for 200 yoyos

• Advertisement

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Thanks for that ... I had a look at kontakt & sampletank xl 2.5. They look great, but at €400 are more than I've bdugeted for. Any other suggestions?... would I be better off upgrading to the full version of Reason or Ableton? They cost about the same

Actually, I just checked & it seems owners of Reason Adapted can upgrade to Reason 4 for 200 yoyos

go for it. reason is a great program, the included library is pretty good and you'll be able to run it in rewire with pro-tools. the synth in reason 4 (thor) is pretty special to play with.

Advertisement