Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating Webpages in MS Word

Options
  • 18-09-2008 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hello,

Completely new to creating webpages so just toying around with creating them in MS word at the moment.

When I upload the pages to the domain the layout is fine if the browser is opened fully (i.e. The browser takes up the whole screen).
    If however the browser is not fully open the text of the webpage is out of place.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Am I not saving it correctly or forgetting to select a certain format when saving in MS Word?

I know it may seem trivial but I am completely new to this.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
    Frankly, using Microsoft Word. Its a decent text editor, but a horrible markup generator.

Instead, you should ideally be using a standard text editor and (X)HTML and CSS resources to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

creating them in MS word
    MS Word isn't designed for creating webpages.

Search Google for a wysiwyg html editor, or maybe someone here can suggest one.

In the mean time, forget Word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Homer J Simpson

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will take your advice on board.

Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Amaya should do the trick for you.

You could also head over to http://www.w3schools.com/ and do some learning over there or search this forum for pointers on how get started (search for w3schools).

hth
    \r

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Notepad++ along with w3schools for the basics in getting you up and running, have a look into css aswell along with xhtml.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Homer J Simpson

Many thanks for your help guys.

I downloaded a demo version of Microsoft's WYSIWYG and have been doing the tutorials on w3shcools. Find it extremely helpful.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

EditPad Lite is also a good editor. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Also install the developer toolbars for IE and Firefox. You can highlight a portion of a page, and choose to see the HTML behind it. Very handy if you see a particular section on a website and want to know the markup behind it.

Advertisement