Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography Forum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Dodgykeeper,

you are consistantly posting threads about Mod Actions that simply do not involve you. At this point i am considering this to be back seat moderating.

Once again you seem to be asking for information or commenting on a situation that simply does not apply to you. Myself and AR have had a nice discussion via PM and are now both happy with what the other one expects from a Moderator/Poster relationship.

In short, the poster that i pulled for behaviour has absolutely no issue at the moment, so i fail to see what issue you could have?

Finally, if you have issues list them, you cannot expect Seamus and the rest of them to magically know what you have a problem with.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I have a problem with some of the mod actions towards the end of ths thread, your toughts would be appreciated!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055379799

Replying as I still have access here from a previous query?

I assume you think the admins and smods are mind readers or are you actually going to make a specific query with details here so the admins can judge it and the mods of the photography forum can respond or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have a problem with some of the mod actions towards the end of ths thread, your toughts would be appreciated
    Your thoughts would be appreciated too.

If you have a problem that you want resolved, it's helpful to tell us what that problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Double Teamed,

Firstly I have a problem with Calina's post which both I and AR believe to be bullying

Secondly I have a problem with Dragens rebuke of AR which was done publically with a note that he was to respond if he wished by PM.

"It would be advisable to reply to this post via PM if you feel the need to"

Also Dragen posted

"Please note, this post is not inrelation to any post you made about wedding photography, simply your continuing fascination with publically knocking Mods."

Why go off topic in the thread

Then Dragen posted

"You made an accussation of bullying from a Moderator publically. I am letting you and other posters know that site wide this is not the correct way to go about this."

But site wide is the correct way of rebuking somebody??

In your post Dragen you suggest that I am consistantly post threads about mod actions...

Consistantly??

You as mods have to realise that I as a contributor to the Forum have as much right to be aggrieved at what is posted as you as a Mod!

Any toughts?

None issue. Mods have every right to pull someone up in public if they deem it necessary to educate all the other users that consistently questioning their decisions is not to be tolerated.

I do this on the airsoft forum and have done this in Politics and in Soccer.

Is that all or is there something else on your mind?

• Advertisement

Gandalf your arrogance in the last post is astounding, So basically you can rebuke somebody by going off topic in a thread which you admit the rebuke has nothing to do with said thread and then advise that any response should be done privately.

The main stakeholders in this Boards forum are the users not the ego massaging mods, I continue to have a problem with the modding of the photography form and will continue to air these views!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

"It would be advisable to reply to this post via PM if you feel the need to"

Indeed. I should have pulled a poster for commenting on Moderator posts in public and then told him to respond in public? Hardly. Animal Rights PM'ed me and the issue was sorted.

"Please note, this post is not inrelation to any post you made about wedding photography, simply your continuing fascination with publically knocking Mods."
    Why go off topic in the thread

That was me wanting AR to know that I have no issue with either his opinion on Wedding Photography or his expressing it. I did have an issue with what was said in reply to another Mod. This is not going off topic, this is called Moderation.

Then Dragen posted

"You made an accussation of bullying from a Moderator publically. I am letting you and other posters know that site wide this is not the correct way to go about this."

Yes. It is nomally best to leave notes in public as people see that Moderators are taking action. I do this on all the other forums I Moderate and will only take things to PM after that intitial piece of public contact.

In your post Dragen you suggest that I am consistantly post threads about mod actions...

Consistantly??

Yes. I have made 3 public calls on behaviour since I became a Moderator of Photography. You have decided to comment on all three of them when they did not inlvolve you. I would consider that to be consistant.

Firstly I have a problem with Calina's post which both I and AR believe to be bullying
    Please link the exact post in question and highlight the parts you believe to be "bullying".
    Secondly I have a problem with Dragens rebuke of AR which was done publically with a note that he was to respond if he wished by PM.

But site wide is the correct way of rebuking somebody??
    Often, yes. A public rebuke serves two purposes - it lets everyone else know that this behavious is not tolerated, and it also makes it clear that the issue is being dealt with. If AR's posts was left there, then there is the perception from other posters that the moderators have no interest in the forum.

The only other solution would be to just delete AR's posts, but that's the greater evil.
    You as mods have to realise that I as a contributor to the Forum have as much right to be aggrieved at what is posted as you as a Mod!
    You sure do. But the procedure is PM the moderator in question or start a thread here. You don't question the moderator on the thread, because it drags it off topic.
    The main stakeholders in this Boards forum are the users not the ego massaging mods, I continue to have a problem with the modding of the photography form and will continue to air these views!
    The moderators are users too, and most of them I can guarantee you have a much greater stake in this site than you do. You can continue to air these views, just don't air them in the photography forum.

Gandalf your arrogance in the last post is astounding, So basically you can rebuke somebody by going off topic in a thread which you admit the rebuke has nothing to do with said thread and then advise that any response should be done privately.

Really you are seeing things that are not there, an x-files fan maybe?

The user in question was given advice in thread, they questioned it publically and were advised publically to desist in that action. Your pathetic attempt at turning this into a bullying complaint is weak at best.

Agreed that's why we are modding the forum for the majority of users and not a little clique. If thats not to your liking you know where the door is.

Oh Gandalf I know where the door is just I will not be using it, I get too much enjoyment out of boards.ie to let you and your fellow mods ruin it for me.

This will be the last you will hear of me in this forum as posting here does no good at all.

Happy Modding I hope you get lots of satisfaction from your Virtual Power!

• Advertisement

How can you assure me that they have a greater stake in this than me....

Please explain.
    The fact that they are moderators and willingly give up their free time to ensure that the forums are usable and accessible for all demonstrates that they have an extra stake or "interest" in the well-being of the site as a whole.
    I did not voice any of these concerns in the photography forum since I have been made aware of this forum so that comment is nonsensical
    Indeed. However, your main greivance seems to hinge on the fact that people were corrected for questioning a moderator on the forum. They have every right to complain, just not on the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I would like to respond, if I may.

Dodgykeeper, I regret if you consider my post to AnimalRights last night to be bullying; I am of the opinion that it was not, it was a polite request for engagement in the debate. I fail to see given that I had the manners and guts to say please and thanks in that post on the subject of debate how you could construe it as bullying. That politeness is something that personally I felt was lacking in the responses I got leaving aside the accusations of bullying made to myself.

However, I do stand over issuing inthread warnings which both Dragan and I were compelled to do late last night in my case and this morning in Dragan's case. Dragan is a fan of transparency and the last time I was in here defending the forum it was against accusations of a lack of transparency of mod decisions. I see no consistency in your position. For other interested parties I want to make it clear that no warnings, infractions or bans were concerned; just some inthread warnings and a couple of posts.

The matter at hand does not, however, directly concern you other than in your apparent self-appointed role as watcher of photography mods. I am with Dragan in that I do not agree that you need to be involved in the discussion of moderations decisions particularly when they do not directly concern you.

In an ideal world, there would be no need for mods. The photography forum is growing and has grown a huge amount in the past few weeks. I don't think anyone can say that the board is particularly problematic; you only have to look at how fast community projects like the book, for example, grow; the number of IRL meet-ups, and the general increase in new users with a vast array of different photography styles. This couldn't happen without effective moderation and to be honest, my experience is that the number of complaints about it are on the low side given the number of users involved. In other words, the vast majority of stakeholders in photography do not appear to have the same problems as you do.

I understand you have issues with the moderation team at this stage. I believe that they are misplaced. As you have previously stated that you will continue to question mod decisions if you personally don't agree with them, I do not really know where we can go from here. As far as I am aware, you are in a very small minority.

Advertisement