Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I do anything?

Options
  • 18-09-2008 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭

Someone keeps parking a Volkswagen Crafter LWM (long & high) which is 22ft 8in X 9ft 10in outside my house & neighbours. The van is that long it just fits between my gate post & his.

The person who drives the van has been seen parking up and leaving the cul de sac, which probably means he doesn't live in this cul de sac.
    The van appeared approx a month ago with UK plates, the next day it was changed to Irish plates. It stays here for up to a couple of days at a time (not always outside my place, but in front of others).

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of it (legally ;) ). My neighbour has put notes on it not to park here anymore already. If I ring the gardai, can they do anything??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Go to woodies and buy 4 concrete blocks
    Go to halfords and buy a wheel brace and a bottle jack
    I dont think I need to fill in the rest,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

small blocks of wood with some nails in them, placed just behind his rear tyres :D

or you could just leave some traffic cones on the road outside your house....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

If you say that the vehicle has been parked up for some time and you think there is something suspicious about it they may come out to take a look. This happened to us once before. But the chances of them actually doing anything are slim id say.

To be honest, a note wouldnt do much. Is there anyone mad enough to knock on his door and ask him nicely to find somewhere else to park it, or go mad at him if he doesnt cooperate??

Thats really annoying though I know the feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Call the Guards and report it as suspicious. I'd also go for the traffic cones solution.

peanuthead - the bloke doesn't live near by, can't knock on his door.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Constantly write insulting comments in the dirt on the back of his van

• Advertisement

Constantly write insulting comments in the dirt on the back of his van

I find the "also available in white", "I wish my wife was this dirty" and "wash me" to be the most effective deterrants:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

MYOB wrote: »
    Call the Guards and report it as suspicious. I'd also go for the traffic cones solution.

peanuthead - the bloke doesn't live near by, can't knock on his door.

Next door called the guards, I went out to them when they looked like they were done. They said they ran the van, it was clean, they said they could give him a ticket for parking on the footpath, but then every other car would have to get one. They were fairly helpful in fairness, nothing they can really do.

I ;) have had a new idea though. As we have 2 cars and a motorbike here at present and my next door neighbour has 2 cars, this evening, we're going to block him in, so he'll have to call in to get us to move so he can get out. Then we'll see what he has to say for himself!

Slig wrote: »
    I find the "also available in white", "I wish my wife was this dirty" and "wash me" to be the most effective deterrants:D

Unfortunately the van is spotless, possibly the cleanest white van I've ever seen. I could write it on with muck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Why don't you and you neighbour just park on the road outside your house for a while? When he finds no parking regularly available he'll soon find somewhere else to park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

the guy actually isnt doing anything wrong - you're getting annoyed as you feel you have more of a claim to the spot outside your gate than he does - this is not the case

live and let live - i dont think he'll take up permanent residence outside your house anyway

• Advertisement

lafors wrote: »
    Unfortunately the van is spotless, possibly the cleanest white van I've ever seen. I could write it on with muck :)

Now that is suspicious

Hagar wrote: »
    Why don't you and you neighbour just park on the road outside your house for a while? When he finds no parking regularly available he'll soon find somewhere else to park.

We do usually, we have a small Ibiza and they have a small pug, the van parks where he can get space.
    VH wrote: »
    the guy actually isnt doing anything wrong - you're getting annoyed as you feel you have more of a claim to the spot outside your gate than he does - this is not the case

live and let live - i dont think he'll take up permanent residence outside your house anyway

You may be correct, anyone can park there, but I don't think you would like it if I drove a van I own and parked it outside your house in full view from your living room, and I wasn't even your neighbour!

As for the "permanent residence", I would say that it has taken up "permanent residence" in our cul de sac, been here over half the days in the past month.
    I have gone with the "he won't keep parking there" attitude for the past fw weeks, I'm changing me attitude now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Have you ever seen the driver and asked them why they re parking there.

No harm in asking.

Anyway its manners for the driver to ask if its ok to park there.

Otherwise

Take the number plates off the van, call the county council to say a van has been abandoned outside your house and you would like it removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

is it blocking a gate or parked opposite one? isn't there something about it being illegal to park in front of a gate or directly opposite on in the ROTR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Someone keeps parking a Volkswagen Crafter LWM (long & high) which is 22ft 8in X 9ft 10in outside my house & neighbours. The van is that long it just fits between my gate post & his.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of it (legally ;) ). My neighbour has put notes on it not to park here anymore already. If I ring the gardai, can they do anything??

Just 1 car parked halfway between your gate-post and your neighbour's will stop him - he has to have the full length to park without blocking your gates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Public Road right? it sucks but he has a right to park there. Would you get mad if it was a car? Just saying its hard to get a space to park a van. But why would it be manners to ask? Is he actually blocking the entrance to your house/driveway? Or is it just the case hes blocking out the sun!!!

Not alot you can do, best approach is ask him to stop, writing on his white van makes him look cool!!:D

It is harsh that he parks there for days at a time rather then overnight. Im sorry OP.

JamesM wrote: »
    Just 1 car parked halfway between your gate-post and your neighbour's will stop him - he has to have the full length to park without blocking your gates.

We nearly always do have one there, either ours or next doors.
    The neighbor said that his wife, whose car was outside, was dropping their daughter to work this morning at 7 and by the time she came back, 25mins later, the van was parked up.
    btw, cheers for all the suggestions lads

You may be correct, anyone can park there, but I don't think you would like it if I drove a van I own and parked it outside your house in full view from your living room, and I wasn't even your neighbour!
    nothing I could do about it - its a free country
    lafors wrote:
    As for the "permanent residence", I would say that it has taken up "permanent residence" in our cul de sac, been here over half the days in the past month.
    I have gone with the "he won't keep parking there" attitude for the past fw weeks, I'm changing me attitude now.
    by permanent residence I means its there permanently - which he doesnt seem to be - maybe he's trying not to p1ss you off by moving around

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

kluivert wrote: »
    Otherwise

Take the number plates off the van, call the county council to say a van has been abandoned outside your house and you would like it removed.

which would be theft(of the numberplates)

peasant wrote: »
    which would be theft(of the numberplates)
    as well as theft if the council did take it away and the OP was found out would probably get a nice fine and maybe a stint in the joy

normally not a fan of closing threads but I think this one needs to - OP is looking for advice on how to get a citizen who is law abiding "moved on" cos he doesnt like the look of their van - and is getting advice which is legally questionable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If the van is taxed and insured and has these displayed there's nothing you can do from a Gardai point of view about it providing he is not blocking access.

One way to rid him would be to park one car either side of him with about 2mm gap from his bumper, go for pints for the night and likely when you move your cars the next day you will never see him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

VH wrote: »
    as well as theft if the council did take it away and the OP was found out would probably get a nice fine and maybe a stint in the joy

normally not a fan of closing threads but I think this one needs to - OP is looking for advice on how to get a citizen who is law abiding "moved on" cos he doesnt like the look of their van - and is getting advice which is legally questionable

You know what?

I think you're right !

closed ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement