Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male teenager jailed for exposing too much underwear

Options
  • 18-09-2008 3:07pm
    Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like the fashion police are trying to clamp down on baggy trousers.
    RIVIERA BEACH - A judge has decided a law banning sagging pants in this town is unconstitutional after a teenager spent a night in jail on accusations he exposed too much of his underwear.
    Julius Hart, 17, was charged last week after an officer said he spotted the teenager riding his bicycle with ten centimetres to 12 centimetres of blue-and-black boxer shorts revealed.
    Hart's public defender, Carol Bickerstaff, urged a judge to strike down the sagging pants law, telling him: "Your honour, we now have the fashion police."

Circuit Judge Paul Moyle ruled that the law was unconstitutional based on "the limited facts" of the case. Technically, however, the charge hasn't been dropped yet: a new arraignment awaits Hart on Oct. 5.
    Voters in Riviera Beach approved the law in March. A first offence for sagging pants carries a $150 fine or community service, and habitual offenders face the possibility of jail time.

Proposals to ban saggy pants are gaining ground in several places around the U.S., and have met with opposition from civil liberties advocates who say they will lead to racial profiling against young African-Americans.

The fashion is believed to have started in prisons, where inmates are not given belts with their baggy uniform pants to prevent hangings and beatings. By the late 1980s, the trend had made it to gangster rap videos, then went on to skateboarders in the suburbs and high school hallways.
    Bickerstaff said she wants the city to drop the law - regardless of whether anyone dislikes low-riding pants.

"The first time I saw this particular fashion, I disliked it," she told the judge. "And then I realized I'm getting old."
    - AP

taken for nzherald.co.nz

If you can read this, you're too close!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Stupid.

There is hardly any difference between a pair of boxer shorts and a pair of shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

koth wrote: »
    have met with opposition from civil liberties advocates who say they will lead to racial profiling against young African-Americans.

Way to call a kettle african-american black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

But how will you slag them off on looking stupid now? I look forward to hearing how America will opress it's citizens next...

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Maybe the leg of his pants got caught in the pedals and pulled his pants down?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

What about Judges wearing dresses and wigs, if to be stereotyped.. ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Roadend wrote: »
    Maybe the leg of his pants got caught in the pedals and pulled his pants down?
    Worse again if the local bully pulled his pants down and the victim got jailed.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Haha. Lock 'em up!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tedandbetty

now that bring a whole new meaning to the old saying "caught with your pants down".

altough i do agree that boxers showing does look stupid. but i am a big fan of little thong showing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

altough i do agree that boxers showing does look stupid. but i am a big fan of little thong showing....on wimmin!!

Woah there Nelly! I think we need to narrow this quote down...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Stupid is right!!

I'll say it again, people should be allowed be naked where and when they want....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

In fairness I saw a guy working in Club Denim in Dundrum wearing pants like that and It honestly enraged me..

And what's more puzzling is why they wear belts aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I think they should be chucked in jail overnight. Make them think about how much of an idiot they look with their pants falling down. Two nights if they have belts on as most of them do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Stupid is right!!

I'll say it again, people should be allowed be naked where and when they want....
    Why? I've seen what you look like in the know your nerds section and I definetly would not want to see you naked. FACT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

LeahBaby wrote: »
    In fairness I saw a guy working in Club Denim in Dundrum wearing pants like that and It honestly enraged me..

Well duh, don't want the trousers to fall ALL the way down. That would just look stupid.

Yeah lad in college used to do the same thing. Weird thing was he was in to metal music, and this fashion would be mostly reserved for those of a (c)rap genre. Was a tad over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

about damn too, stupid kids. punishing waistband droppage is the way forward.

Pull your pants up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Was this in New Zealand or Americaland?

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Was this in New Zealand or Americaland?
    America, just happened across the article in a New Zealand website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

LeahBaby wrote: »

FX Meister wrote: »
    I think they should be chucked in jail overnight. Make them think about how much of an idiot they look with their pants falling down. Two nights if they have belts on as most of them do.

YYAAYYY Im not the only one:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: It takes a lot of chanting on my behalf to remain lawful when I see it, i mean WTF :eek: I get an overwhelming urge to run up behind them and wedgy them till the arse seam is pokin through thier front teeth :mad::mad::mad:
    ****in Muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

chin_grin wrote: »
    Yeah lad in college used to do the same thing. Weird thing was he was in to metal music, and this fashion would be mostly reserved for those of a (c)rap genre. Was a tad over the top.

That's not weird, loads of people did it here, especially skaters and metal heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Saggers look silly, but it shouldn't be subject to police / legal interference ffs!

And better at least saggers with underwear showing than builder's crack from guys twice to three times their age!!

/shudder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fredzer

Maybe these kids want to be wedgied, thus the kacks on display. Goddam kinky kids!

Wagon wrote: »
    But how will you slag them off on looking stupid now? I look forward to hearing how America will oppress it's citizens next...

If its oppression you like look no further than our own Emerald Isle, half two closing times, ten o'clock offie closing, on the spot fines for being irish drunk, jaysus what next!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Have to say the people who go around with trousers below their ass just look stupid!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

for all those of you that agree with this, I hope none of ye are Fat or Ugly, cos if wearin stupid clothes can merit a fine then morbid obesity should be a mandatory 5year sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Anyone who doesn't think this law is insultingly ridiculous needs to take a moment to think about the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Of course it's ridiculous. They'd have to build new jails solely for women in bikinis. And wearing a thong-th-thong-thong-thong would get you 15 to life!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

They'd have to build new jails solely for women in bikinis. And wearing a thong-th-thong-thong-thong would get you 15 to life!
    And this is a BAD idea?!! :cool:

/applies for job as warder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You have no idea how bad the Aussies/Kiwi (I assume) dress with their jeans

They have them starting around their belly button (boxers) and they let their jeans hang around their thighs ... they just look stupid

Hopefully they'll introduce this law too ... and fat birds with thongs showing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

kmart6 wrote: »
    Have to say the people who go around with trousers below their ass just look stupid!
    Here heree!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

is there a flip side to this?? like is it illegal to show too little underpants aswell?

....cause im going commando today..... shhhhhhhhhhhh

Advertisement