Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Batista

• 18-09-2008 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Credit: ProWrestling.net

The feeling within WWE is that Vince McMahon will go out of his way to keep Batista in the main event scene. Batista has mentioned the idea of retiring in a year or two, and both current and former colleagues believe he really means it and is not just posturing for a better contract. However, Vince will likely sweeten up his deal to make Batista happy and active in the ring if he has to.

Some say that Batista has a reputation as a bit of a free spender and that might be one reason he would consider staying with WWE. However, the consensus among others is that he’s managed his money well, having spent a lot but made a lot more.

Batista does big business for WWE overseas. Apparently he is the most popular wrestler on international tours and WWE is well aware of this, which would explain why Vince would go out of his way to keep him happy.

I've never been a fan of his, his best match i thought was against HHH

He is pushing on now he is 42

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

JP Liz wrote: »
    I've never been a fan of his, his best match i thought was against HHH

He is pushing on now he is 42

i hate Batista

how the hell is he still there

and he's 42 :eek::eek:wow

why is he popular

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭Kane-N-Nite

i hate Batista

how the hell is he still there

and he's 42 :eek::eek:wow

why is he popular

Batista is boring and he sucks.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Why is Batista listed everywhere as being 39?, anyway he's no big loss in the ring only in the "star" power factor

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I also cant stand him. most of his matches were so boring. just let him retire but once they dont give a huge send of like flair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

How could he have a huge send off like Flair? if he did, it would be an insult to Flair and everyone who helped Flair become what he did.

With regard to Batista, I don't hate him. However, I think he has one of the blandest characters in WWE. He needed a heel turn a long time ago just to freshen things up for him. As for the question of how is he over, well I actually like the manner in how he got over. The simmering feud that built with HHH was an absolute classic, from its beginings in Evolotion. The crowd totally got behind him and seemed to demand he turn on HHH. Now i realise this was just great booking, but it was refreshing to see at the time.

Maybe a hiatus for Batista would do him good, and come back with a re invigorated character. I cannot see him walking away just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Batista is avery lucky man, the man despite lacking wrestling ability is one of the most protected people in the WWE today. The last time he lost clean was to Taker last year and he is consistently in the main event. Cena got hate for being booked for his perceived Superman like character and lacking wrestling ability when in fact it should have being Batista booed out the building on a constant basis. I suppose we should be grateful he has stopped his god awful Rock impression though, he is still muck on the mic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

My 2 cents on that is that Batista got over via a massive feud with HHH and has stayed over ever since. Cena was never "main event over" when he won his first world title, as was evidenced by the absolute lack of response from the live crowd at Wrestlemania. Plus there always seemed the thought iof Cena being rammed down our throats to get him over, which did not seem to happen with Batista. His was a lot more natural.

And please, do not read the above as Cena bashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Batista ticks all of McMahons boxes:
    1. Over 6 feet

2. No short of muscle

3. Friends with HHH

4. Controversial

Personally speaking, i dont love batista, but i dont really hate him.

I know he cant wrestle, nor can he sell. At present he is the most overrated in WWE and should not be anywhere near the title, but he will be.

He is a merch machine too, think of all the naive kids who love him because hes mates with rey?

I have a feeling batista is going to be around for a while, and theres nothing that will hinder that.. well that is... except an injury.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭herewegoagain

Batista ticks all of McMahons boxes:
    1. Over 6 feet

2. No short of muscle

3. Friends with HHH

4. Controversial

Personally speaking, i dont love batista, but i dont really hate him.

I know he cant wrestle, nor can he sell. At present he is the worst in WWE and should not be anywhere near the title, but he will be.

He is a merch machine too, think of all the naive kids who love him because hes mates with rey?

I have a feeling batista is going to be around for a while, and theres nothing that will hinder that.. well that is... except an injury.... :D

You have got to be joking

You have got to be joking

IMO, but what is your opinion on it?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

How can anyone think Batista is the WORST in the WWE - there are quite a few guys who are much worse than him. Mark Henry is just an example!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

brolly wrote: »
    How can anyone think Batista is the WORST in the WWE - there are quite a few guys who are much worse than him. Mark Henry is just an example!

I think Mark Henry's far better than he's given credit for. I'm not joking either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

flahavaj wrote: »
    I think Mark henry's far better than he's given credit for. I'm not joking either.

He does what he's meant to do. He's not meant to be a great wrestler or showcase any technical skills. He's meant to be a huge man who ploughs through his opponents methodically. And he does it better than a lot of other guys ever have

I wouldn't call Batista the worst wrestler on the roster when he's had some really good matches. He's had some bad ones too, but so have many others. I'd have no problem with him sticking around a few more years

Fozzy wrote: »
    He does what he's meant to do. He's not meant to be a great wrestler or showcase any technical skills. He's meant to be a huge man who ploughs through his opponents methodically. And he does it better than a lot of other guys ever have

Id agree with that, theres a few different wrestlers like that, kane for one... :p

(that is intended to be a joke....)

Fozzy wrote: »
    He was great as the ECW champ as well. I was annoyed when Hardy took it off him.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

flahavaj wrote: »
    I think Mark Henry's far better than he's given credit for. I'm not joking either.

I just don't like the guy! I haven't seen a match with him in it that has really interested me that much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Both Mark Henry and Batista fit their roles well and Ive no problems with them. Batista has improved a lot since used to bore me ot tears on Smackdown around 2006. I like Mark Henry as a person after reading interviews he did since the Benoit murders and enjoy the fun elements in his current character.

brolly wrote: »
    I just don't like the guy! I haven't seen a match with him in it that has really interested me that much.

Hi match with Rey last year on Smackdown was REALLY good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I like Batista a little. For one, he probably has the best entrance in the whole of the WWE. Every time I see it and get excited only to realise it's only Batista. Secondly, I much prefer him as the kiddies idol than Cena. He's far more enjoyable for the older fan than Cena is in that role. Third, he's actually getting better in the ring. Had a good series with Taker and finally hit a Goldberg-esque spear (on Cena). Also somebody has to fill the Warriot Goldberg position in the company (fast and athletic big guy) and I don't see anybody else in a better position. Good look as well

Batista is my Da.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Batista is just Ultimate Warrior version 2.0. Can't wrestle, full of muscle, does the shaking the ropes thing to build up his power, looks clumsy in the ring.. so clumsy infact, you're just waiting for him to accidentally somehow powerbomb himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Batista is an odd thing, cant really wrestle, rubbish at times on the mic, always blowing spots, but yet he had 2 fantastic feuds with HHH and Taker, and a decent one with Edge, now thats more than likely due to the other guys than Dave himself but he IS able to step up and put on a fine match when its called for but it depends on who he's working with, im not a fan of his but they need the star names so i dont mind him being their either

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Batista grew on me. I liked his HHH feud. Had a good one with Taker too. I liked his Flair impression against Cena (chop block and figure four. Classic :D)

He's not the great technical wrestler but he's not meant to be. We always slag him about being "botchtista" but to be fair he is getting better. And for a guy who’s 42 he does some good ring work. Big Daves alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

PWInsider.com is reporting that Raw star Batista will be out of action from anywhere between 6 and 8 months. As seen tonight on Raw, Batista was forced to forefeit his match against Randy Orton as he was selling the kick to the head he received from Orton last week, and it looks as if this will be the basis of an angle that will see The Animal out of the ring for quite some time. Batista has been reportedly suffering from hamsting problems which began on WWE's last European tour and have worsened since returning to the states. He will be undergoing surgery soon which will require him to be out of action well beyond Wrestlemania.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SASR

This is great news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

SASR wrote: »
    This is great news!

Classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

dlofnep wrote: »
    .. so clumsy infact, you're just waiting for him to accidentally somehow powerbomb himself.

hahahahaha that made me chuckle,
    :D

hmmm, I like batista.

Hes not great technically, but I dont think he HAS to be? Hes clearly extremely over, and thats all that matters as far as him staying in the main event picture goes.

Hel be back for WM.

Batista V Orton
    as previously discussed on other threads haha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

I was under the impression he'd be out 6-8 months, meaning a June/July return?

Not a fan of his at all tbh, nothing more than average on the mic and just pure power in the ring, not my cup of tea but that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I like Batista, he ain't bad despite what people say.

Bit silly though that this is how they write him off. I mean Cena was out for a day with the punt, Di Biase will be back as soon as The Marine is finished but Batista is out for 6-8 months with the kick?

• Advertisement

They will eventually say he has an additional injury..his hamstring

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I'm gonna go with fractured skull as a result of the kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Batista is a shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

AFAIK they used the punt kick as a storyline for Batista to rest his injured hamstring.?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    AFAIK they used the punt kick as a storyline for Batista to rest his injured hamstring.?

well if that is the case then surely he will just be out for a few weeks like a footballer/or rugby player would be, no need to risking him now pre the road to Wrestlemania

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

well if that is the case then surely he will just be out for a few weeks like a footballer/or rugby player would be, no need to risking him now pre the road to Wrestlemania
    Wrestling Observer says he will be out for months:D

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/7834/
    Batista suffered a hamstring tear and will be out of action for several months. It is believed he will be undergoing surgery to reattach the muscle.
    At this point plans for Cena vs. Batista, probably at Wrestlemania, seem to be out the window. The television storyline will be that Randy Orton's kick to the head gave him a concussion and will be used to set up a feud upon his return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I like Batista, he ain't bad despite what people say.

Bit silly though that this is how they write him off. I mean Cena was out for a day with the punt, Di Biase will be back as soon as The Marine is finished but Batista is out for 6-8 months with the kick?

Shawn was out five months after Orton's kick. He'd have been out longer only Cena got injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

They could say the punt damaged Batistas brain, oh wait nevermind :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Podge 2k7, please don't cross-post in future. There's no need to start a new thread about something when you have posted it in a thread that already exists. It clutters the place up unnecessarily.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Wrestling Observer says he will be out for months:D

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/7834/

well if what they say is true it isnt a standard Hamstring injury like the football/rugby ones i spoke of if the actually have to reattach the muuscle then yeah he will be out a good while.

Orton vs Cena instead maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭killyourtv

Great news. I don't want to see anyone injured but if this injury is the only thing that can save us from Cena v Batista at Wrestlemania then I am not complaining at all. The idea of that match was depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SASR

killyourtv wrote: »
    Great news. I don't want to see anyone injured but if this injury is the only thing that can save us from Cena v Batista at Wrestlemania then I am not complaining at all. The idea of that match was depressing.
    And look at it like the wrestling equivalent of Hiroshima, it'll save more careers than if it hadn't have happened.

They will eventually say he has an additional injury..his hamstring

What did I tell ye folks..I said they would do this..And they are doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭ger34

When is Wrestlemania?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

WrestleMania is on April 5th.

Wonder what ol dave would be doing if he was able to work mania.

Wonder what ol dave would be doing if he was able to work mania.

Facing Cena for the title probably. He may be muck but cena v Batista would be a bigger match than Cena v Orton sadly. A lot of people forget how over Batista has being over the last few years.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Facing Cena for the title probably. He may be muck but cena v Batista would be a bigger match than Cena v Orton sadly. A lot of people forget how over Batista has being over the last few years.

But Orton v Cena is a huge match too. Some would argue it was the biggest match owing to the factors of Cena being the biggest babyface the company has seen in a while and Orton being the biggest heel (bar edge).

And anyone that completely despises Cena is bound to rather this match.

Apart from HBK, those two are the most over faces on Raw and I could imagine kids eating up that feud. Orton is great and all but its only recently he has being getting a reaction around the time he kicked Batista to be precise. Also Cena v Batista has being done once before and it’s fresher than Orton v Cena. I have no problem with Cena and Orton going at it but I reckon if fit Batista would be in there somewhere. Like it or not he’s a huge draw.
    P.S At the PPV after Survivor Series Orton lost clean to Batista as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Orton vs. Dave would be a bigger draw than Cena vs. either IMO. Evolution history, Dave is more over than Cena. Nobody would really buy Cena vs. Orton for the technical matches anyway so you'd lose nothing there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

ger34 wrote: »
    When is Wrestlemania?

You know a quick search on the internet would provide you with the answer to that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement