Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Buying Scams?????

Options
  • 18-09-2008 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

I am currently selling the wifes motor and have received this by a fella whose e-mail address is in Australia. Is this a scam?? :confused:

Thanks for your mail,i do want you to know that am ok with the price , and the payment will be by Cheque ONLY,as i have a contact in who will make payment to you on my behalf , so if you are ok with this,get back to me asap with your details needed for the addression of the Cheque such as below:

Name to be on the Cheque:
    Address where Cheque will be received by you:
    Phone Number's such as Mobile ,Land line and Office Number:

As regards the shippment,i have a responsible shipping agent that will come for pick up as soon as you received your money and confirm this to me,i will ask my shipper to come for the pick up asap..
    Best regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Whats the car?

Seems a bit strange, I would be wary of giving out all of my personal details.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

peanuthead wrote: »
    Whats the car?

Seems a bit strange, I would be wary of giving out all of my personal details.

Sorry meant this to go to the motors thread. Its only a Diesel 307 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dohda

Hi OP,

This is a scam. The same one is doing the rounds on ebay. You receive the check for a larger amount than originally requested apparently as a mistake. He will then ask you to refund the difference by western union.

Check looks authentic so you bring it to the bank. It's international so it will take 5 days to clear. All seems ok you refund the difference and the cheque bounces.

If I'm not mistaken there is also a variation of this on carzone and another thread exists here somewhere. (had a quick look but could not find it!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

dohda wrote: »
    Hi OP,

This is a scam. The same one is doing the rounds on ebay. You receive the check for a larger amount than originally requested apparently as a mistake. He will then ask you to refund the difference by western union.

Check looks authentic so you bring it to the bank. It's international so it will take 5 days to clear. All seems ok you refund the difference and the cheque bounces.

If I'm not mistaken there is also a variation of this on carzone and another thread exists here somewhere. (had a quick look but could not find it!!)

Sounds about right. Thanks for the info.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

why post this twice...here and in main motors?

closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement