Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap Tyres

Options
  • 18-09-2008 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hey all

Just wondering the best place to go for tyres at a decent price in the dublin area. Need four tyres 205/40/17 and was quoted 100 yo yo's a tyre fitted.

Is this about the normal price or could i get them cheaper??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

ambman wrote: »
    Hey all

Just wondering the best place to go for tyres at a decent price in the dublin area. Need four tyres 205/40/17 and was quoted 100 yo yo's a tyre fitted.

Thanks in advance.
    Yea thats about average for a economy make,premium makes would be alot dearer.
    I could do them for 90 apiece fitted and balenced for a budget brand,that would be fine.But you would have to drive to Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hey all

Thanks in advance.

try not to get complete rubbish fitted, have a look on camskill.co.uk and pick something decent and get them fitted instead of overpaying for bad tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Dont skimp on cheap tyres, The money will be no good to ya when your upside down in a ditch on fire :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

To piggy back this post:
    Can anyone recommend good tyres for RWD car 215/45 that are especially good in the wet
    I don't want to break the bank but am willing to shell out for a decent set, the ones on the car (nankong I think) are terrible in the wet

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

I just got two 235/45/17 Good Year Eagle F1's for €117 each from www.eiretyres.com. Had them fitted locally for €15 each. The guy who fitted for me said that the cheapest he could have sold me those tyres would have been €180 each.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Hey all

Thanks in advance.

cheap tyres can be false econemy... what do you need new tyres for... as in sport, fuel savers or ?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Not all cheap tyres are poor quality! I worked for a manufacturer for a while in the UK. Well known tyre manufacturers set up in eastern european and asian countries under different local sounding names so that former communist regimes would not loose face. Same compounds, moulds etc. Michellin, Pirelli, Continental, Bridgestone, Dunlop etc all have these economy brands. Only difference may be that initial thread depth is better in some big names.

Only things I would absolutely avoid would be remoulds and 2nd hand tyres.

Try eiretyres.com. Ive used them several times and found them to be very reliable. You can usually get tyres fitted for between 10/15 euro per tyre. (try an small independant rather than the big fancy places)

All manufacturers have different compounds which have different properties. eg most Michellins are hard wearing but not so great in the wet. Uniroyals and Bridgestones are great in wet but wear more quickly. Continental good all round but expensive!

Notch000 wrote: »
    Dont skimp on cheap tyres, The money will be no good to ya when your upside down in a ditch on fire :mad:

Do expensive tyres put out fires:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

I have a cheap chinese tyres in my car, they are ok when it does not rain... when it rains tough, grip is really, really bad.

But price was 38e/tyre with work included, so you get what you pay for.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Fatswaldo wrote: »
    Not all cheap tyres are poor quality!
    Similarly, not all expensive tyres are good
    See the first post in this thread...
    www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=37245

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Don'y buy Wanli. Cheap but noisy and slippy in rain

• Registered Users Posts: 68,932 ✭✭✭✭L1011

kbannon wrote: »

Gah, now you've made me need to get down on my hands and knees and lunch time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Personally I think that one of the most important things to consider is whether or not the tyre in question has silica in its compound. I would avoid at all costs a tyre that does not contain silica yet is "energy saving" or said to "reduce rolling resistance". If buying a cheap tyre I think focus on ones with the best wet weather performance. If spending more, choose a tyre that has silica, and then energy saving tech can be combined with high performance. Also, tyres with silica in the compound will save you approx 5% on fuel so will pretty much pay for themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,932 ✭✭✭✭L1011

kbannon wrote: »

Mine are German (see above), thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I needed tyres in a hurry for the NCT and the local garages had no decent brands in stock so i went for some unknown cheaper brand. They are absolutely dire, no grip at all, I'd never do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

MYOB wrote: »
    Mine are German (see above), thankfully.

Mine too - Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I just got two 235/45/17 Good Year Eagle F1's for €117 each from www.eiretyres.com. Had them fitted locally for €15 each. The guy who fitted for me said that the cheapest he could have sold me those tyres would have been €180 each.

True, there can be big savings by buying online but don't forget to shop around too. I just got a set of 4 Bridgestone Turanza ER300s 205/55/R16 today from a local tyre shop @ €95 each fitted and balanced. Price on eiretyres.com is €92.20 + another €10 for fitting and balancing.

Local fitter's = €380, eiretyre's = €408.80, that's €28.80 extra in my pocket whilst helping maintain employment for 4 local lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

when I bought a second hand fiesta a few years ago it had some cheap Indian made tyres on it. fine in the summer, but come winter I actually lost it twice on wet and icy roads.

not even haring round corners either, both times I was just going wit the flow of traffic round slight bends. one of them I was actually behind a removals van going very slowly and hit some ice and ended up facing the opposite direction on the other side of the road. thankfully it was early morning and there was nothing coming the other way but i could easily have been in a fairly serious crash.

i got them changed asap after that and the guy in the tyre place said he wouldn't actually sell tyres of such poor quality even if someone asked fo them specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I used to use eiretyres until I came across camskill

bought 4 tyres last week from them, delivered in 48hrs (€326 inc delivery for 225/40/18 Falken FK452's) plus another €60 to fit them.

I haven't done the maths but I'd say I saved over €400

The Falken tyre this week has been superb in the dry weather we are having....looking forward to testing themn in the wet soon

vibe666 wrote: »
    when I bought a second hand fiesta a few years ago it had some cheap Indian made tyres on it. fine in the summer, but come winter I actually lost it twice on wet and icy roads.

not even haring round corners either, both times I was just going wit the flow of traffic round slight bends. one of them I was actually behind a removals van going very slowly and hit some ice and ended up facing the opposite direction on the other side of the road. thankfully it was early morning and there was nothing coming the other way but i could easily have been in a fairly serious crash.

i got them changed asap after that and the guy in the tyre place said he wouldn't actually sell tyres of such poor quality even if someone asked fo them specifically.
    It dosnt matter what make tyre you have under you when you hit ice or brake on ice,if you dont negosiate the conditions correctly you are going to loose it ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

thetyreman wrote: »
    It dosnt matter what make tyre you have under you when you hit ice or brake on ice,if you dont negosiate the conditions correctly you are going to loose it ....

I think you'll find you're very very wrong.

With my current tyres it takes about 70% braking effort for the car to skid on black ice.
    With the previous..about 15 and it was sliding..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

ClioV6 wrote: »

With my current tyres it takes about 70% braking effort for the car to skid on black ice.

Unless one was a winter compound and the other not, there could not be a big difference in performance on ice. Assuming the same amounts of wear on both tyres, correct tyre pressures etc. The mu between tyre and ice will vary very little for summer compound rubbers

You think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I've slid off the road due to black ice without touching the brakes at all, so I think you are a bit optimistic with even your 15% estimate.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Where on earth did you pull those figures from? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

thetyreman wrote: »
    I was neither braking or speeding (for the conditions) either time it happened.

when I lost it on the icy road I was doing less than 15-20mph going up a hill on a very very slight bend behind a removals van which was also behind something else going particularly slowly. I wasn't speeding, nor going to fast for the conditions. neither of the other two vehicles in front of me had any problems with those speeds and conditions and I have driven that road many times since (used to be part of my commute) in similar conditions with better tyres in the same car and never had any problems.

HERE is exactly where it happened on the ratoath road round the back end of finglas, after the scrap yard on the apex of the left hand bend. it's barely even a bend. It was a few years ago before all the building works going on round there now so it wasn't even muddy either.

The other time it almost went was right outside the entrance to the cappagh hospital on the road there where the bend is. It was raining and everyone was going more than slowly enough for the conditions, inc. myself and we were all in a big long line of traffic at rush hour so there was no opportunity for anyone to speed at all.

EDIT: worth mentioning that I didn't lose it totally, but lost traction in the front wheels and crossed the white line and came within what must have only been a couple of cm of side swiping someone coming the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

+1

Advertisement