Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phones :S

• 18-09-2008 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

hi,

I'm from Dublin but go to University of Ulster Jordanstown so live up here during the week.problem is my phone is costing me a FORTUNE sending texts back south!getting charged at international rates to text home.anyone in the same boat??basically does anyone know of a network with good rates or if i could keep free texts or would it work out better to buy a uk phone?

thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

hi,

I'm from Dublin but go to University of Ulster Jordanstown so live up here during the week.problem is my phone is costing me a FORTUNE sending texts back south!getting charged at international rates to text home.anyone in the same boat??basically does anyone know of a network with good rates or if i could keep free texts or would it work out better to buy a uk phone?

thanks!!

Orange has probably the best rates for calling home: 5p to landlines, 20p to mobiles, 15p for texts (Camel plan). If you can unlock your ROI handset you can order a free SIM on www.orange.co.uk

Three is the best Irish network to have and use up north, Vodafone are second (no charge to receive calls, same per min rate to call home as if you were home) once you're on passport I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Lebara are a great network too for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

ellscurr wrote: »
    Orange has probably the best rates for calling home: 5p to landlines, 20p to mobiles, 15p for texts (Camel plan). If you can unlock your ROI handset you can order a free SIM on www.orange.co.uk

Three is the best Irish network to have and use up north, Vodafone are second (no charge to receive calls, same per min rate to call home as if you were home) once you're on passport I think.

I can't get my phone to work properly on the Vodafone UK network. I cant write messages, lock the screen or access the menus..... I have to manually switch to another network.

Considering that orange simcard.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

i am a student at uuj, im on the o2 network, you can choose a plan one is free texts to all other 02 fones up north, and i think there is one for cheap international calls and texts. in my experience living in jtown the orange signal isnt that great, my flatmate in halls used it. i would go for 02 but thats just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Hey i'm in the same boat! I spent 20 euro this week alone! My friend's in coleraine and she got a new phone with o2. Apparently they do a really good deal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Get your phone unlocked, costs around E15 in Dublin. get a sim from one of the networks.

O2 have one where you get cheap messages to phone home but international texts are still 20p a message

Also you can still use your webtext

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Still think this is the better deal...

http://www.lebara-mobile.co.uk/en/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

that looks pretty sweet, 10p texts to uk & international. will i have to get my phone unlocked, just bought a UK O2 prepay

enda1 wrote: »

thats a great offer

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Three is only good if you stay on the three network (it's as if you never left), if you roam onto another network then you will get charged for roaming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 myself69

enda1 wrote: »

Yes lebara looks great, but is it for sale in Northern Ireland? I can't find it anywhere.

myself69 wrote: »
    Yes lebara looks great, but is it for sale in Northern Ireland? I can't find it anywhere.

second this looked in belfast couldnt find it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

You can order it online but I can't find any reference to what their coverage is like in NI...

If anyone does fancy Orange (Camel plan for calling home :D) they're doing £10 off PAYG handsets over £29.99 with a valid student card at the mo. Valid in Orange stores only AFAIK. I used it in Connswater today no probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ewewontknow

Hey This is what I ended u doing incase anyone ends up in the same situation.I went into o2 down south and they unlocked my phone for free (something to do with how much credit youve spent on the phone),then I bought a talkmobile sim card in phones4u you can call any landline around the world for 4p a minute,I also got 2 free o2 uk sims and gave one to the girlfriend at home so now have free texts to her fromn tbe o2 uk phone.I also found out that if u get a meteor sim card people on meteor can ring you for free if ur up north.It means u hav to carry around 2 phones with you but saves a lot of yoyos.hope this helps

might actually copy ya there, current top up bill i currently about 90 quid a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I have two phones, one vodafone for people and stuff up here and a meteor one for Dublin stuff, with meteor you get 300 free webtexts a month so i just use them rather then ring usually

The vodafone one is a shiny newish one and the meteor one is at least 3 years old i just unlocked it (was a northern phone) to the meteor network and that does me just grand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 messagemaster

Hey guys, appreciate the advise, as im in the same boat icon7.gif
    Why cant they just have single rate icon9.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

have you considered a data plan of some sort over there on a local sim and then skype ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 messagemaster

skye on your phone you mean? or on PC. Didn't realise it was available on mobiles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

How about a phone with Wifi capability? This way you could send webtexts while on campus through your mobile. O2 in the republic allow you to send webtexts to any international number...

• Advertisement
Advertisement