Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop junk snail mail?

Options
  • 18-09-2008 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Help! I'm drowning in junk snail mail! Does anyone know of any marketing lists from which you can remove your name? When I lived in the UK there was a mail preference list that Royal Mail ran but I can't find an equivalent at An Post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Write "no junk mail" on your letterbox. Posty will respect that and not deliver it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Anything that does get delivered with a return address, cross your own address out, write unsolicited on it and pop it back in the post. They soon get the message.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sizzler wrote: »
    Write on your letterbox. Posty will respect that and not deliver it.

I wrote that on my letterbox but the Romanians/Lithuanian's that they hire to shove them through, didn't understand what I'd written. I was getting loads of the stuff daily. I subsequently had to write the notice in Russian, Romanian, Lithuanian, Nigerian as well as English and stick it on my hall window. I still get junk, just now not as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

If they come with free-post return envelopes, sellotape them to a cinder-block and drop them down to your local post-office.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Oryx wrote: »
    Anything that does get delivered with a return address, cross your own address out, write unsolicited on it and pop it back in the post. They soon get the message.

I've been writing fuck off on the Chorus letters, and sending them back for over a year now. They still haven't stopped.
    Sean_K wrote: »
    If they come with free-post return envelopes, sellotape them to a cinder-block and drop them down to your local post-office.;)

The majority of them are clever enough to not do this. They expect you to ring them to buy whatever service they're peddling.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

jor el wrote: »
    I've been writing f**k off on the Chorus letters, and sending them back for over a year now. They still haven't stopped.

LOL I suspect they see that as something which aggravates them. They will keep sending them twice as much then, just to annoy you back. read.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Biggins wrote: »
    I wrote that on my letterbox but the Romanians/Lithuanian's that they hire to shove them through, didn't understand what I'd written. I was getting loads of the stuff daily. I subsequently had to write the notice in Russian, Romanian, Lithuanian, Nigerian as well as English and stick it on my hall window. I still get junk, just now not as much.

any chance of a copy of that biggins??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

This really grinds my gears. I had mountains of crap being delivered, asked the postman not to deliver unaddresses mail and basicially was told he was just doing his job. Rang An Post to complain and they said it was a service the provide and if someone pays them to deliver unaddresses letters they do it!

Put a No Junk Mail sticker on my letterbox and for about 2 weeks it was working ... but normal service seems to have resumed. :mad:

Also rang Citizens Info to ask if there was anything that could be done but they hadnt a clue of any course of action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Doesn't work :(
    I get mountains of NTL/UPC junk mail. Some it even trying to get me to sign up to the package I'm already on, wtf?

I've sent the 01 telephone directory and the yellow pages Freepost back to HQ in East Point, Dublin 3. All wrapped up with return to sender on my "The resident", micmclo's gaff on it.

It doesn't stop, I tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

bakedbean wrote: »
    Help! I'm drowning in junk snail mail! Does anyone know of any marketing lists from which you can remove your name? When I lived in the UK there was a mail preference list that Royal Mail ran but I can't find an equivalent at An Post.

We have a no junk mail sign on our box. Has got rid of 95% of the mail. The only things that still come in are some charity bags and builder leaflets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

micmclo wrote: »
    Doesn't work :(
    I get mountains of NTL/UPC junk mail. Some it even trying to get me to sign up to the package I'm already on, wtf?

I've sent the 01 telephone directory and the yellow pages Freepost back to HQ in East Point, Dublin 3. All wrapped up with return to sender on my "The resident", micmclo's gaff on it.

It doesn't stop, I tell you!

It's just to cost them a fortune in postage, not to make it stop:P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yep, a great way to get rid of heavy rubbish from your house, now with the bin charges per kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭bakedbean

It's really annoying - they've obviously got my name and address off a list somewhere as all the junk has been mispelled the same way.
    Cheers for the ideas!:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

NTL/Chorus is quite a problem for me. I'm the second owner of an apartment but the first rented it out and it seems there have been about 5 different Chorus accounts at my address with slight variations on it. I return them all to sender. Took several months but haven't had any in a while - of course when I go home today, there'll be some now!!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement