Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touch HD

• 18-09-2008 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭

There a video of the soon to be released Touch HD http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/18/htcs-touch-hd-makes-its-video-debut/ is out . Its in french but it still good. The screen looks pure class at 800 x 480. I think this might be the phone that replaces the N95 8G for me ... well as long as it doesn't cost the earth.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,469 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

looks class

what are the specs

http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=64796

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,469 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

foobar wrote: »

when is the release date?

when is the release date?

Before the end of the year is all there saying at the moment .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

yes this could be the one pda/multimedia phone that makes me make the high end phone transition. was thinking of a diamond for a long time (cant be ar*ed getting locked down to apples model of customers regardless of how class the UI is on it)

but this looks literally drool worthy for the tech savvy :eek:

• Advertisement

The HTC Touch Diamond is 574.99 on expansys. It could be well over 700 for the HD :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

If its anything like the touch Diamond and Pro or the X1 it will be rubbish...... I have played with all three now and every one is sluggish, the x1 being the worst......did anyone see the video of it taking SIX seconds to change the screen from portrait to landscape?

Judging by the above video the HD looks to be smoother, but they didnt show it doing al that much.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Looks nice.
    Looks like a 3.5' screen, is it.
    Very iphone-like in terms of form factor and UI.
    Admittedly none of these devices seem to have the iphone's fluidity but the specs are top of the line.

HTC are due to bring out the first Android phone shortly as well IIRC- should be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

If its anything like the touch Diamond and Pro or the X1 it will be rubbish...... I have played with all three now and every one is sluggish, the x1 being the worst......did anyone see the video of it taking SIX seconds to change the screen from portrait to landscape?

Judging by the above video the HD looks to be smoother, but they didnt show it doing al that much.....

Yeah for all their functionality, WM devices can be frustratingly slow sometimes.

it doing al that much.....

To be fair the x1 not even out yet. Here a video of the latest build http://www.theunwired.net/?item=videoview-hands-on-with-sony-ericsson-s-latest-xperia-x1-built . Changing from portrait to landscape is pretty fast.

• Advertisement

foobar wrote: »
    To be fair the x1 not even out yet. Here a video of the latest build http://www.theunwired.net/?item=videoview-hands-on-with-sony-ericsson-s-latest-xperia-x1-built . Changing from portrait to landscape is pretty fast.

Yes I watched that vid last night too, really slow server it was hosted on too, kinda in keeping with the X1 :-)

It does seem to be a big improvment I have to admit.

The other video of it was with some SE dude, who was a clown going on about how the phone was like a suit, I am pretty much sure he will be moved department or fired after everyone on the comments sections of popular gadget websites flamed him for being a fool.

Anyway he has been using the phone for months.........and thats what I hear the problem is, once you start using the phone for a while it becomes clogged......The one on the video last night was fresh.....The specs are not that high and I cant see how it can run "9 Desktops" at the same time...........My desktop would have a problem with that!

I really wanted this phone to be what it seemed to be in those adverts (that seem like 20 years ago now, you know the one where someone does a bad cover of The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour) but it seems the device is being slammed by WinMo and silly people at SE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

The first builds of Touch Flo 3d were indeed slow... but it's fine now, and Opera is significantly better than Safari. I was going to get a Nokia n810... but I'll wait now and get this. I'm really looking forward to having phone, radio, a passable camera, expanable/removable memory, flash enabled web browsing and remote desktop at 800x480. €700 is alot for a phone... but I guess that's what it will initially cost here. However, I'm off to SE Asia in January and will get there probably for about €550.

I really remember the stooopid prices shops were asking for the N95 when it launched:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

The specifications of the handset are very good however I still would prefer the HTC Touch Pro or X1 as there is a slide-out keyboard.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    The specifications of the handset are very good however I still would prefer the HTC Touch Pro or X1 as there is a slide-out keyboard.

I was told by the two Pro owners that I have met that they end up not using the qwerty slider and just use the touch screen keyboard because its so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I was told by the two Pro owners that I have met that they end up not using the qwerty slider and just use the touch screen keyboard because its so good.

The thing I don't like about a touch-screen handset with no keyboard is the fact that you need to wipe it clean constantly. I know you can get screen protectors but they're not fingerprint resistant; as unfortunate as that is.

This is the main reason why I don't particularly like the functionality of the iPhone and why I feel the same about the HTC HD. They are great handsets in their own right, but just not for me.

Advertisement