Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top ten pubs galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

cant believe Tigh Coili isn't on any of the lists.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

lg123 wrote: »
    cant believe Tigh Coili isn't on any of the lists.
    Yes it is, twice. And including you, 3 times.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

An honourable mention must be put for Taylor's, god rest it's soul.

Good pints, a fire, the White Tornado, an early adopter of Franziskaner, eating any takeaway you wanted and a great mix of locals.

How many pubs are there where the locals lament the arrival of a titty bar? There is some optimism that the planning conditions for the nudey girls included that the bar had to be largely preserved so it may rise again.

Ok, so ive taken everyones top pubs in Galway and tallyed them up to give a list of the top voted for pubs.

Here goes:

12 recommendations
    Roisin Dubh
    10 recommendations
    Blue note
    8 recommendations
    Freeneys
    Front Door
    7 recommendations
    Beirhaus
    Dew Drop
    Monroes
    Neactains
    6 recommendations
    Bazaar
    O' Connells
    5 recommendations
    Quays
    Taffees
    The cottage
    4 recommendations
    Bar 903
    The Kings Head
    Massimos
    Sally Longs
    3 recommendations
    Aras Na Gael
    Cellar
    Mc Swiggans
    2 recommendations
    Busker Browns
    Cookes
    De Burgos
    Murphys
    Sheridans
    Skeff
    The Crane
    Tig Colli
    Only 1 recommendation
    An Pucan
    Bunch of Grapes
    Garavans
    Hughes
    Kelihans
    Living Room
    Murty Rabbits
    Number 8
    PJs
    Red Square
    The Spanish Arch
    Tonerys
    The office

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Robbo whilst I fully and whole heartedly support your suggestion that Taylor's should get an honourable mention it seems somewhat lacklustre if special credit is not given to that bastion of good customer service that was Séamus! Ne'er a more formidable pub character has Galway ever seen. Worked in Hannibals for a time so between that, drinking regularly in Taylor's since I was about 16 years old and knowing Séamus as a kid I can definitely say he was the most colourful bar man I have ever come across and all in all a great character. Miss that place. Certain aspects of its appeal are reflected in other bars across the city but I don't think any one establishment could qualify as a proper replacement. Such a mixed bag in terms of clientele and music.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Robbo whilst I fully and whole heartedly support your suggestion that Taylor's should get an honourable mention it seems somewhat lacklustre if special credit is not given to that bastion of good customer service that was Séamus! Ne'er a more formidable pub character has Galway ever seen. Worked in Hannibals for a time so between that, drinking regularly in Taylor's since I was about 16 years old and knowing Séamus as a kid I can definitely say he was the most colourful bar man I have ever come across and all in all a great character. Miss that place. Certain aspects of its appeal are reflected in other bars across the city but I don't think any one establishment could qualify as a proper replacement. Such a mixed bag in terms of clientele and music.
    I named him by his nom de guerre "The White Tornado". I heard he worked for a while after in Bransky's (or whatever it was called at the time) but aside from seeing him the odd time in town, the trail has gone cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

LOL!!Was that his nickname? Love it!!Yeah haven't heard tell of him in some time. My Dad knows him so must quizz him...Apologies for doubting your Séamus worship. Clearly I'm not as well versed as I thought. :)

LOL!!Was that his nickname? Love it!!Yeah haven't heard tell of him in some time. My Dad knows him so must quizz him...Apologies for doubting your Séamus worship. Clearly I'm not as well versed as I thought. :)
    I can't claim credit for it but it was pretty apt when he was in a huff moving at top speed along the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 anto_mac

cant believe hole in the wall has been mentioned on this list , has one of the best beer gardens in galway

anto_mac wrote: »
    cant believe hole in the wall has been mentioned on this list , has one of the best beer gardens in galway
    But its a "hole" of a pub. Awful place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mkeavers4422

only cheap, serial rapists who are on da pull for a 16 year old go to the Hole in the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 anto_mac

serial its has one of the best beer gardens in Galway

serial rapists who are on da pull for a 16 year old go to the Hole in the wall.
    Quiet!

If everyone knows then theres less for the taking!

Welcome to boards too.

serial its has one of the best beer gardens in Galway
    Did you just say "serial" in replace of the word "seriously"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Robbo wrote: »
    I named him by his nom de guerre "The White Tornado". I heard he worked for a while after in Bransky's (or whatever it was called at the time) but aside from seeing him the odd time in town, the trail has gone cold.
    He ended up working out in that thatch bar in Oranmore. The last I heard of him was that he was not very well. Does anyone have an update?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If I won the lotto I would buy that lap-dancing club, close it down, and re-open Taylor's as a proper pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

My top 10, in no particular order

PJs, Lower Salthill (great mix of clietele, lots of small rooms/areas, character barman, Beamish = 3.20)
    The Old Forge, William street west (very, very local pub, Guinness or Black Bush = 3.60)
    The Bierhaus, Henry street
    Roisin Dubh, Dominick street (large, late, music)
    The Salthouse, Raven's Terrace
    Myles Lee - The Dew Drop Inn
    Freeney's, High street
    Garavan's, William street
    O'Connell's, Eyre Square
    The Oslo (brewpub)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread bumped from 2008 by a spammer, since banned and his posts deleted.

Geuze, feel free to add your list to some recent thread, I'm necro locking this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement