Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burger King Coming To Galway?

Options
  • 18-09-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know if Burger King is coming to Galway?

I heard a rumour about a year ago that one was going in across from the Hospital. NUIG refreshers goody bags had loads of Burger King vouchers and a few months back I noticed a Burger King sign up on one of the bus stops in Eyre Square.

Anybody know anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

About as likely as a KFC coming :D

Seriously,these rumours seem to be based on nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Heard about a Pizza Hut opening up in Well Park when it opened and it turned out to be true..Still didn't open it though, had advertised for staff and all...f'in Eddie Rockets...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Supermacs wont be too happy having a burger king next to them!

I probably will never set foot in the place unless I'm REALLY drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Pizza hut is terrible. Tried it once in UK. No need for it here.

What IS going in opposite hospital anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I love Pizza Hut, KFC and Burger King...oh well! Not sure whats going in across from the Hospital probably the same as Briarhill and North Point...not much of anything!! Then the crown square development and the one down by the Salmon Wier will be needing renters...Should be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,486 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

i hope not ! They are supposed to be the unhealthiest of the lot !

Vivo at 3am on Prospect hill for a breakfast roll cant be beaten !(really healthy!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know why KFC, Burger King etc. aren't in Galway?

If this has been done before, apologies! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Gypo wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Does anyone know why KFC, Burger King etc. aren't in Galway?

If this has been done before, apologies! :D

Yeah id love to know that too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Burger King is one of the things I miss about living in Limerick. That and TK Maxx. But I'd rather eat used syringes than eat at KFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

cornbb wrote: »
    TK Maxx.
    +1

I actually only realised today that there's no TK Maxx in Galway. It never occurred to me that Sligo would have something that Galway doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

If they want to open some fast restaurant why cannot they open something better like 'Hard Rock Cafe' for example..?

fat-boys-sm.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

WooPeeA wrote: »
    If they want to open some fast restaurant why cannot they open something better like 'Hard Rock Cafe' for example..?
    If there's one thing I love when I eat an overpriced burger and chips, it's being in the presence of the ACTUAL bass used when Bachman Turner Overdrive recorded the first demo of "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet".

You can't buy tradition like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

topper75 wrote: »
    What IS going in opposite hospital anyway?

Bank of Ireland are going into the big glass building opposite UHG, where there used to be a petrol station.

Over ten years ago, Burger King failed to gett PP to open where the Wimpy on Eglinton St used to be (it's now a lingerie :cool: shop).

Rumour going around that KFC are going into that new building opposite Dunnes Westside.

And while I'm at it, DID Electrical are going in beside Western Motors, TKMaxx, Aldi and Argos Extra are moving into Knocknarra, beside B&Q.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Fantastic. More and More like the capital every day. :(

When do the scumbags with Soverign rings and tracksuits arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

AFAIK theres 2 new drive thru restaraunts being developed at the moment., One in Briarhill and the Other in Knocknacarra beside dunnes, both have gotten planning permission but iv heard already that supermacs are gonna be taking them... they seriously need some competition, like a TGI fridays or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I love Pizza Hut, KFC and Burger King...oh well! Not sure whats going in across from the Hospital probably the same as Briarhill and North Point...not much of anything!! Then the crown square development and the one down by the Salmon Wier will be needing renters...Should be interesting

Ya i would say either KFC or Burger King would try and get into the Crown Square. It's about time one of them arrived to Galway. That 3 meats in one burger looks bloody nice. Pity that the Crown Square will be another 2 years or so in the making, might be quicker getting a bus to Limerick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

we don't need another supermacs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

cornbb wrote: »
    Burger King is one of the things I miss about living in Limerick. That and TK Maxx. But I'd rather eat used syringes than eat at KFC.

Burger king I don’t really miss, TK Maxx on the other hand…….

I got a T-Shirt in TK’s for about 15yoyo’s this time last year, saw it in BT’s for 60yoyo’s about 2 months ago. Brilliant place to shop if you have a patience to look for something you like.

Pizza hut took over the god fathers pizza chain I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I really hope Burger King don't actually come to Galway, I mean how on Earth would I keep track of all the developments across the city were if not for the constant stream of rumors along the lines of "They're definitely moving in there, my brother's friend's Dad's Uncle heard all about it. It's more super sekkrit than the truth behind 9/11."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Now we just need a nice H&M and Ikea, and I'll be happy ;-)

(although I do think it's a shame that every Irish town looks the same now - with the same British/continental chains - almost all inner cities are now interchangeable...)

Where's the Crown Squaredevelopment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

How many times has this rumour gone around? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I errr I mean Galway needs a KFC ...
    There's nothing healthier than after a serious session on a Friday night to fetch a bucket of hot a spicey chicken and watch the football all day saturday...
    mmmmmm talk about living the dream :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

+i moved over from london in august this year..
    burger king, is NASTY.. mcdonalds, same beef pumped with water, nice!!

supermacs, is the best!! ( occasional treat) they make there milkshakes, with real ice cream, burger king and mcdonalds, pump vegetable oil in them!
    KFC.. chickens fed with a major amount of growth hormones, cheap nasty and not good

tk maxx.. that MAY be good, but in the uk, they attract the designer wannabe chavs and the knife welding hoodies,

to be honest ireland is fantastic just the way it is!! following england, isnt the way too go, the country is a shambles and are completly consumer driven, this country, is wonderful country ireland has a balance of culture tradition, morals, standards, and embracing the new, but lets not take it too far.
    supermacs is NOT alternative ... in my view, Supermacs, is the best!

i may have be born in the uk, too irish parents but my heart belongs in this land, and i SALUTE the irish people for making this beautiful country what it is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

TK Maxx isn't really great for regular clothes - I simply don't have the patience to go through all the crap.

But for workout gear, handbags and household stuff, it's fantastic. Also you can get stuff like straighteners for a song.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

galah wrote: »
    Where's the Crown Squaredevelopment?

It's the new shopping centre they are building in Galway. It's going to be the biggest shopping centre in the west which isn't to hard considering what is there at present. It's due to be finished by 2010.

You can see what it will look like here:

http://www.crownsquare.ie/

Oh ya it's just off the Tuam Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

http://www.zimbio.com/KFC/articles/16/The+true+story+of+KFC+chickens

And I'm sure Irish health regulations are more stringent too.

+i moved over from london in august this year..
    burger king, is NASTY.. mcdonalds, same beef pumped with water, nice!!

supermacs, is the best!! ( occasional treat) they make there milkshakes, with real ice cream, burger king and mcdonalds, pump vegetable oil in them!
    KFC.. chickens fed with a major amount of growth hormones, cheap nasty and not good

tk maxx.. that MAY be good, but in the uk, they attract the designer wannabe chavs and the knife welding hoodies,

to be honest ireland is fantastic just the way it is!! following england, isnt the way too go, the country is a shambles and are completly consumer driven, this country, is wonderful country ireland has a balance of culture tradition, morals, standards, and embracing the new, but lets not take it too far.
    supermacs is NOT alternative ... in my view, Supermacs, is the best!

i may have be born in the uk, too irish parents but my heart belongs in this land, and i SALUTE the irish people for making this beautiful country what it is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

s_carnage wrote: »
    It's the new shopping centre they are building in Galway. It's going to be the biggest shopping centre in the west which isn't to hard considering what is there at present. It's due to be finished by 2010.

You can see what it will look like here:

http://www.crownsquare.ie/

Oh ya it's just off the Tuam Rd

Happy days! ;-)
    (I hope they do include a big enough car park and proper access to this, though...Don't need another shopping center that's a complete disaster access wise...:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

ErnieBert wrote: »

And while I'm at it, DID Electrical are going in beside Western Motors, TKMaxx, Aldi and Argos Extra are moving into Knocknarra, beside B&Q.

Bout time TKMaxx moved in. It was a pain in the hole getting back from Sligo only to find the feckin ejits left those stupid plastic tag things on me clothes. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

galah wrote: »
    I do think it's a shame that every Irish town looks the same now - with the same British/continental chains - almost all inner cities are now interchangeable...)

Very important point. I would say Galway is the last bastion of local retail in Ireland, but it will gradually fall. The Brits are happy for us to have a parliament so long as the commerical imperialism remains intact. :pac:

I'm not anti-British really, so I jest above. In fact, I feel sorry for the them having viewed the urban homogenisation that has happened in the UK in recent decades. I lived in London for a few years and my initial curiousity when I landed about what other UK towns and cities might look like was crushed after a few sortees in the train to Brum, Cardiff, L'pool etc. when I arrived only to see the same streetscapes as in London just jumbled up in a different order. Sad reflection on society on these islands that craves the illusion of greater consumer choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Let me see if I get this right...
    TKMAxx sells last years knocked down labels and sports wear and is popular in Sligo and Limerick as well as being much loved by English chavs.
    And some of you can't figure out why it's not in Galway?

...oh sorry Burger King ya wow amazing can't wait to have a substandard burger that a TV ad told me to like.

Advertisement