Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to pay for stamps

Options
  • 18-09-2008 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

I've just set up my company. I have an AIB business account. So no card just a cheque book. I went to the post office to buy stamps from my business account and they wouldn't take the cheque without a cheque guarentee card. Now, AIB don't seem to give these cards with business cheque books. So sounds like a stupid question but I'm puzzled, any idea how I buy stamps??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

isnt this what petty cash is for?

write a cheque to petty cash or withdraw a few hundred euros from your account and keep it in a money box -every time you buy 'sundries' replace the cash with a receipt -tally up each week /month etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

the person in th post office is being a clown, I've always bought stamps using my company cheque book without any problems. Try another post office,

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Ok thanks but I thought petty cash was for small value things like pens and milk and such.I'm talking about over €100 worth of stamps.
    and also, in a similar instance, say I want to buy a piece of furniture for the office and walk into a shop to pay with my chequebook, they wouldn't accept it either without a guarantee card. So how would I pay for something like that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Just get a atm/laser card for your business account and use that so you can keep track of purchases and get receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

you can pay for it anyway you like once you have a receipt for it...cash...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I have a Mastercard from Ulster Bank. It works as a debit card and the total each month is deducted from my business account. It's great for buying items online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

small tip for you op

Do you sell ANYTHING remotely related to paper, copybooks, tickets? anything that could EVER lead to a situation where one of your customers is requiring a stamp either during their business with you or as an afterffect of your products/services?

If so get yourreslf registered with an post as a stamp retailer (really easy) and you get a small plastic card an agent number. Then whenever you go to buy stamps in the future brign the card with you and the Post Office give you a discount of 5% on the price of the stamps.

Its not a lot I know but every little helps, especially if your going to use a good few stamps.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Snowdrop

There is a form you need to fill in if you want your local designated post office to take your cheques. Once it is set up you should have no problem or you can also buy stamps online from viking direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Wow, so many different answers.
    When I set up the busienss account, AIB said they don't do cards (any type of debit card) for them as its a business account. Thought it was odd at the time, and now seeing it as a problem. I have my business money in that account so I don't want to use my personal money and claim back really if I can avoid it.
    Will find out about that form-filling in An Post.
    And also about that buying them for a discount, sound good!

Advertisement