Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asbestos in Tirellan Heights

Options
  • 18-09-2008 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi I've been renting in tirellan for about a year now and recently a friend of mine took a look out the back window and saw that the roofing on my shed is asbestos. After he pointed that out I noticed many more sheds around this area that have asbestos roofing. My God, Surely this isn't okay. Can anybody tell me how this can be? Should I get onto my landlord about it? Have i any rights? Moving the asbestos is dangerous isn't?? bloody hell how much of this stuff is just lying around this city?:eek:

Comments

Hi I've been renting in tirellan for about a year now and recently a friend of mine took a look out the back window and saw that the roofing on my shed is asbestos. After he pointed that out I noticed many more sheds around this area that have asbestos roofing. My God, Surely this isn't okay. Can anybody tell me how this can be? Should I get onto my landlord about it? Have i any rights? Moving the asbestos is dangerous isn't?? bloody hell how much of this stuff is just lying around this city?:eek:

Get out there and saw that roof off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

*Please don't.I do not want another death on my hands.

My shed in Castlelawn hieghts has an asbestos roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Should be fine if you don't go fiddling with it. Only dangerous when disturbed. How do I know this? Aithnaíonn ciaróg!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Why are you shocked? It was a widely used building product back with Tirellan and many other estates were built, same all over Ireland. Dont worry unless you go licking the roof or eating it I suspect you will just about survive :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

Its manly the dust off it thats dangerous as long as you dont go drilling cutting or messing with it it will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ditto on our gaff Westside..
    Grand unless you chop them up or drill them.

Shed roof got leak recently, I delicately painted it with black goo and prayed, as it costs about a grand to get rid of the stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Yeah asbestos is fine until it is broken up or sawed or otherwise messed about with.

It is the fibres from the actual material that go into your lungs. These fibres are just the right size to fcuk you over. Any smaller and they would past through your alveoli, any bigger and you would cough them up.

Even if you did disturb it it is highly unlikely that the bit from your shed would do much on ya. Most of the measures taken these days are ott and precautionary (rightly so but still...)

Advertisement