Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Flog Off II

Options
  • 18-09-2008 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

I have no idea what I'm talking about so the following is a rant based on nothing.

defaul4.jpg

The audio equipment market feels all messed up right now - both new and second-hand stuff. Feels like everyone from Thomann and Musicstore, to Joe Soap on adverts is trying to flog a bit of kit at a "good" price.

50off.png

The price of a lot of new gears keep coming down and down and in the meantime, people are selling so much stuff second-hand.

I'm guessing it's the effect of several factors, such as competition with online stores, the wobbley economy, the perpetual advance of software, and the last nails in the coffin of the traditional hardware based project studio.

Musicstore have dropped the price of the MPK midi controller from 400 euro, to 350, and in response, Thomann, have dropped their price to 288 euro. Elsewhere, one can now get a basic midi keyboard starting around 39 euro.

akai-mpk491.jpg

It reminds me a bit of what (I hear) happened in the 80s when people made the transition from analogue to digital synths, now, more than ever, so many people are just doing "everything in the box".
    Virtual analogues like the Microkorg and Nord Lead have lost much of their appeal, with software making great advances now on a day to day basis, and the cutting edge sound being only a download away.

ni_massive_screen2.jpg

People are flogging off their Novas and MS2000s to replace them with software, a bit like analogue synths were flogged off in the 80s, anly this time, there is less chance of the kit coming back "in vogue".

I'm talking about a new world order here, except it's not that new, and only applies to audio nerds.
    bb1.jpg

Meanwhile, second-hand gear sales on classifide ad sites such as adverts.ie is at an all time high.

Right now for example, there are about a dozen synths on adverts.ie, sitting there, where only a year or two ago, most synths were whipped up within a couple of days.

What I'm trying to say is:
    The end is nigh.
    extinct1-745463.jpg

OK I know some of you cats are diehard hardware heads, so bring the flames.
    There's not much left in my studio to set fire to.

I'm ready.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Thought you were planning a day of mass forum masterbation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

womoma wrote: »
    The audio equipment market feels all messed up right now - both new and second-hand stuff. Feels like everyone from Thomann and Musicstore, to Joe Soap on adverts is trying to flog a bit of kit at a "good" price.

The price of a lot of new gears keep coming down and down and in the meantime, people are selling so much stuff second-hand.

I'm guessing it's the effect of several factors, such as competition with online stores, the wobbley economy, the perpetual advance of software, and the last nails in the coffin of the traditional hardware based project studio.

Musicstore have dropped the price of the MPK midi controller from 400 euro, to 350, and in response, Thomann, have dropped their price to 288 euro. Elsewhere, one can now get a basic midi keyboard starting around 39 euro.

It reminds me a bit of what (I hear) happened in the 80s when people made the transition from analogue to digital synths, now, more than ever, so many people are just doing "everything in the box".
    Virtual analogues like the Microkorg and Nord Lead have lost much of their appeal, with software making great advances now on a day to day basis, and the cutting edge sound being only a download away.

People are flogging off their Novas and MS2000s to replace them with software, a bit like analogue synths were flogged off in the 80s, anly this time, there is less chance of the kit coming back "in vogue".

Meanwhile, second-hand gear sales on classifide ad sites such as adverts.ie is at an all time high.
    Right now for example, there are about a dozen synths on adverts.ie, sitting there, where only a year or two ago, most synths were whipped up within a couple of days.

What I'm trying to say is:
    The end is nigh.

OK bring the flames. There's not much left in my studio to set fire to.

I'm ready.

Great Post!

I have noticed, keeping a very casual eye on Adverts, that there does seem to be tons of stuff at cheap prices.

No excuse for bad recordings then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Great post womoma absolutely brilliant. +7

The truth is, the speed of new stuff coming out is outstanding, coupled with the fact that buying equipment is addictive and can look as sexy as my cat naked. Also with the so many musicians in a financial place to get recording, the competition has opened up. The big shops are able to put in higher order quantities and hence the lower prices. It is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Thanks for reading guys (and not ripping me apart)

BTW I'm very tempted by that MPK49 for 288 euro. Stunning value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

funny you should post that womoma, i've gotten into synths in a big way over the last few years. just yesterday i was considering flogging my harware synths as i almost exclusively use massive and reason.

the circle of life and all that....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

womoma wrote: »
    Thanks for reading guys (and not ripping me apart)

BTW I'm very tempted by that MPK49 for 288 euro. Stunning value.

looks sweet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDN5n9w2xNc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I dunno...I bought this last week.

http://www.rawpower.co.uk/acatalog/tascam_mfp01.jpg

Granted it was cheap enough...but it sure is fun!

God damn it. MPK was definitely 288 earlier but has gone back up to 350 on Thomann. Must have been a mistake. Still at least they knocked 50 quid off.

What the hell is up with Thomann?! The MPK is back to 288 today..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

may the sales continue, itll make my penchant for spending obscene amounts on gear i dont need that little less financially damaging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Helix wrote: »
    may the sales continue, itll make my penchant for spending obscene amounts on gear i dont need that little less financially damaging

Or allow more to be spent on the stuff you do?

Advertisement