Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 520, Saab 9-5, Lexus IS200, Nissan Maxima QX or Honda Accord

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

wish i could pay the insurance and the fuel on a gs300 but i cant, thats whats keeping me away from one of them (ive wanted one for years) but i think the verdict is in lads, its a saab 9-5 with FSH and a warranty for me

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

whats the budget?

Get a bmw 525/530i sport if its in or around 10-11k,

i can believe people are spouting nonsense about unreliable bmw 6cyl engines while telling you to buy a saab turbo'd engine :pac:

the e39 bmw is possibly one of the greatest saloons ever made, none of the other cars in the list really compare.

and 520is were bought to be driven hard, WTF :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    In the current climate and bang for your buck I would go with the Maxima.
    Hmmm don't think so. The 2.0 petrol Maxima is quite sluggish, you'd really should be looking at the 3.0 litre. Plus the depreciation on Nissan Maximas is horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Plus the depreciation on Nissan Maximas is horrific.

Which can be a good thing if you buy an older one that someone else has taken the hit on. It would still be the last one on my list though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kce

Defintely go for the 9-5, and go for the top speced aero version. Fantastic engine and good mpg to match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the 528i is the greatest car i have ever owned you will never look at another car again after owning a 5 Series

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

The oil sludge issue isn't too much of a problem on the 4cyl Saab engines. it just means that you have to change the oil every 6k mls. Also the oil has to be taken out via the sump bung and not vaccumed out the dipstick tube.

For complete piece of mind set a few quid aside and get a mechanic to pop the sump off and clean out the engines bottom end and replace the oil return and pickup pipes as these get blocked by the sludge.

The Saab 9-5 Aero is the one i'd go for out of the OP's choices. It will out accelerate a porsche 911 turbo between 30 and 70mph which means you can just about overtake anything you want safely.

Advertisement