Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LINE tested ok, broadband not working for 6weeks

Options
  • 18-09-2008 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

BB provider company says line has been tested twice ,line is ok,dsl light on modem is steady.i plugged in a pc and laptop ,i can see modem in network connections,and lan,i reinstalled winxp ,still cannot acess server ,went thru modem diagnostics with rep,i can ping modem, i cant ping google.ie or any website,usual result ,server not found.THE bb company is not eircom.
    THE modem failed on the lasted 2 diagnostic test,s.COMPANY is sending out a new modem in 3 days from today.
    i think they are testing line to exchange, ie no one came to the house to test line quality back to exchange.PHONE is working fine ,user is useing a 30ft phone extension lead from the phone socket to the pc modem.THIS has been going on for 6 weeks.could the line quality have dropped ,ie phone ok,but dsl broadband reception is stopped by low quality or interference on line.
    THIS is friends bb line,should she ring eircom line maintence ask them to check is line quality ok,in regard to recieving broadband,the bb is on old underground cable ,ie house is 30 years old.Will eircom charge for line quality test.ITS a standard dsl modem.I believe a proper line test would mean someone testing from the main phone socket in the house ,right back to the exchange.the exchange is about 1 mile from the house,or less.NO one has tested anything in the house ,apart from me ringing customer service and going thru the usual modem diagnostic tests.I also reset the modem ,as instructed by the customer service rep.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Yes. She should call just about anyone and everyone who may be able to help.

Did the ATM Loopback test fail, a test found in most routers? If so, then her router is likely NOT at fault. It's probably Eircom or her own ISP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

yes the loopback test failed,should she ask eircom for a full line quality line test.is there a charge for this.BB provider says line tested ok,they see no problem with the line ,i think they are sending a modem in the post this week.I doubt very much its the modem at fault ,modem shows up in device manager ,thru usb cable.I can acess the modem thru ip 192.168.1.1 url.

Modems are well old school. Routers connected via Ethernet are much handier than using a USB router or modem. There's a few reasons for this, that I won't go into right now, as it may not be relevant to the problem at hand.

That test failing can mean the service has been shut down at Eircom's end, or that there is a problem. Her ISP (which is who, by the way?) may continue to charge her for broadband whilst this problem exists. ISP's do sometimes slow-walk their customers, and Eircom also slow-walk their wholesale customers (such as her ISP).

So, the problem could lie with Eircom. She should keep ringing and have her ISP forward a line fault on to Eircom, ASAP! Don't take no for an answer.

Two questions:
    What speed is she paying for?
    Can you check what the actual line sync is set at inside of the modem for both the downstream and upstream (in kbps)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

its a standard perlico modem,with usb and rj45 network ports,sometimes i know people who use usb for pc 1 thru usb, pc2 thru rj45 ,and pc3 thru rj45 2 on 1 modem,ie usb is handy if you wanna share 1 modem among 2 or 3 pcs ,so i think its sometimes handy to use usb,if you have more than 1 pc,or 1 pc and 1 laptop .i think shes on the cheapest 1meg perlico package 10 or 20euro per month ,shes quite happy with 1 meg,at the moment shes getting zero k per second,speed is not important.she uses standard network cable rj45 ,i just installed usb driver to test the modem in device manager .if you post instructions here,ill test the in sync ,its a standard modem ,rj45 with 1 usb port.
    in my experience its always the line quality,or pc os,eg virus,s ,malware 99percent of the time,tested modem thru laptap,exact same result ,modem failed last 2 diagnostic tests.
    the modem has no wireless options.

Forget the sync bit, it's not important if she's only on 1Mb. Just get her to keep calling Perlico and to make sure they log a fault with Eircom. Tell her to not let them slow-walk her on this, be brutal up to a point (not being too rude).

• Advertisement
Advertisement