Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I turn it around in 6 weeks?

Options
  • 18-09-2008 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi there,

After reading a whole load of fitness logs over the past 6 months I have decided to give it a go myself. You see I have my graduation in 6 weeks (11th Nov 2008) and I wanna lose as much weight as possible.

I am 26/F/5"5 = Weight (here's a shocker 13 Stone!!:eek:).

I lost alot of weight a few years back by walking/running my ass off and I now plan to do the same.

Starting at 6am tomorrow morning I shall be hitting the gym before work!

I plan on posting my diet + fitness logs daily.

Oh and here is a picture now (attached) after that will post again in 3 weeks and then after that in 6 weeks.

Fingers crossed for me :):(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

How did your first day go? :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

6 weeks is focusing too much on the short term. Medium to long term is where the money is. How about working at it for 6 months? This way you can make incremental improvements without burning yourself out too soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭uturnin6weeks

Trojan wrote: »
    How did your first day go? :)

Hi there. Sorry for late post. I can't post at work and I had to go bowling after work so didn't get a chance to post.

Yesterday morning 6.00am I got up and went to the gym - I wasn't feeling well as I have flu but nevertheless pulled myself out of bed and to the gym.

Started off

5 mins warm up on treadmill (walking fast) then 15 mins running [heart rate 178]
    20 mins on bike
    15 mins cross trainer

I couldn't do anymore as I was feeling really unwell.

Food intake:

Breakfast: 2 weetabix with slimline milk
    Cup of coffee - no sugar or milk.

Lunch: 4 Ryvita with ham and tomato
    Cup of tea - no sugar or milk

Dinner: Fresh Hake wrapped in tin foil and baked for 20 mins with Lemon Juice, served with Rocket, 1 Tomato chopped, Lemon juice, desert spoon of couscous with honey and raisins - sin e...

Cup of coffee - no sugar of milk @ 6.00pm

End of day 1.:confused:

BossArky wrote: »
    6 weeks is focusing too much on the short term. Medium to long term is where the money is. How about working at it for 6 months? This way you can make incremental improvements without burning yourself out too soon.

Hey yea, of course I am focusing too much on the short term as I have something to work towards. However, I plan after than seeing it into the long term. I want to turn my life around and I will.

Thanks a mill for your comments- keep them coming ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

interested in how this goes as i intend to lose weight in a short amount of time too!
    good luck and hopefully will see you succeed :p

• Advertisement

Well yesterday I was really feeling sick with a bad head cold so I stayed in bed for the day + took loads of legal drugs to get rid of it. I took yesterday as my rest day so that means I have alot of hard training this week.

Food Intake:

Toast & tea (no sugar or milk)

& same again in afternoon

End

I felt alot better today and it was a fab day so I took advantage so I climbed three rock.. I was up and down in 1 hour and 30min (took a wee rest at the top to admire the fine weather). I felt really good after it.

Food Intake:
    Breakfast:
    Brown Bread with small amount of butter + cup of tea

Dinner:
    Small amount of roast beef with veg

Tea:
    Cup of tea + 1 slice of brown bread

** I know a good few carbs there.... :(

Anyways better get to bed - up at 6am for the gym .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Well yesterday I was really feeling sick with a bad head cold so I stayed in bed for the day + took loads of legal drugs to get rid of it. I took yesterday as my rest day so that means I have alot of hard training this week.

Food Intake:

Toast & tea (no sugar or milk)

& same again in afternoon

End

I felt alot better today and it was a fab day so I took advantage so I climbed three rock.. I was up and down in 1 hour and 30min (took a wee rest at the top to admire the fine weather). I felt really good after it.

Food Intake:
    Breakfast:
    Brown Bread with small amount of butter + cup of tea

Dinner:
    Small amount of roast beef with veg

Tea:
    Cup of tea + 1 slice of brown bread

** I know a good few carbs there.... :(

Anyways better get to bed - up at 6am for the gym .....

Good work - and as I always say when you have a lot to lose a lot comes off at the start - so if you watch your diet and exercise hard that belly is going to fly off you over the next month;)

celestial wrote: »
    Good work - and as I always say when you have a lot to lose a lot comes off at the start - so if you watch your diet and exercise hard that belly is going to fly off you over the next month;)

Thanks a mill.. I hope it does.. its all about the hard work- I know I can do it

This morning I felt a little tired getting up but I got up at 5:45am and was in the gym for 6.05am! Actually it was the thought of this forum that kept me going……

5mins warm up on treadmill then 15 mins running (heart rate 185)

15 mins bike
    10 mins cross trainer
    15 sit ups repeated 5 times
    15 torso twists repeated 4 times on each side of torso

Food Intake:
    Breakfast - small bowl of cereal with slimline milk (no sugar)

Lunch- Ryvita x4 with turkey slices + sliced tomato + thinly sliced low fat cheese + half a tea spoon of fruit chutney

Dinner: Fresh fillet Salmon (wrapped in tin foil and baked for 20 mins) with vegetables 1 small potato
    Sin e……..

Tomorrow I am going to reduce my evening food intake and going to cut back majorly on carbohydrates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You need to start eating more, not less. Check out the stickies in the fitness forum.

• Advertisement

Hey,

Ok so I haven't posted in a few days and this is due to me being out of the country due to work (it wasn't planned). My diet and excerise went out the window. I plan to get back to it again tomorrow.

Will post more info tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Just get back to it today. Its really nice out so maybe go to the gym and do the three rock walk you mentioned at a more relaxed pace? Try not to let your motivation go now as you will be kicking yourself at your graduation, then at Christmas, then Summer etc

I went back to the gym Saturday morning and spent 1 hour 50 mins training. I felt good after it. On Sunday I went for a long power walk for 2 hours, and once again after it I felt good but tired.

This morning I was really tired so didn't go to the gym but I did go at 5pm after work. I decided to try the spinning class (OH MY GOD) I am sooooooo unfit!! It was a great workout though but very tough- it was for 30mins -I had bad lower back pain after - think I might have pulled something but I did a few torso twists after to try and work it out and it feels ok again. I went for a run after for 10 mins and did a few weights and left it at that for tonight.

I plan to hit the gym again at 6am-

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Well done for getting back to it. Its grand when you get manage into a routine and not exercising is not an option. 11th Nov is still a fair bit away so you'll defo see results by then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

You need to start eating more, not less. Check out the stickies in the fitness forum.

I don't know about that...I find the only way for me to lose weight is to cut down food intake...that is eat less on a consistant basis...If her aim is to lose weight for the graduation I definately think eating less is the key.

You definately need to start counting/adding up the calories in the food you take...it needs to be significantly less than the calories you burn, otherwise you won't lose weight...so eating less is important.

Other tips I would give to the OP is to excercise on an empty stomach when you are hungry...in this case the body burns fat as has no real carbohydrates to burn up.

Fast walking is often better than jogging until you are out of breath...strenuous excercises burns carbohydrates as you require a lot of energy....fast walking is better for burning fat...

stay away from sit ups and crunches for the time being...they dont shift fat around the stomach area, and while they may build muscle in the stomach, this will only get added to the fat on your stomach, making it even bigger!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

plasmaguy wrote: »
    I don't know about that...I find the only way for me to lose weight is to cut down food intake...that is eat less on a consistant basis...If her aim is to lose weight for the graduation I definately think eating less is the key.

You definately need to start counting/adding up the calories in the food you take...it needs to be significantly less than the calories you burn, otherwise you won't lose weight...so eating less is important.

Other tips I would give to the OP is to excercise on an empty stomach when you are hungry...in this case the body burns fat as has no real carbohydrates to burn up.

Fast walking is often better than jogging until you are out of breath...strenuous excercises burns carbohydrates as you require a lot of energy....fast walking is better for burning fat...

stay away from sit ups and crunches for the time being...they dont shift fat around the stomach area, and while they may build muscle in the stomach, this will only get added to the fat on your stomach, making it even bigger!

I have done a six week blast and have before and after pics, simply put its this:

Lift heavy weights, you will not get muscley or bulky, FACT :D
    Only eat fresh produce, use common sense, a wheel of cheese is not a good idea, and eat regularly, otherwise your body stores fat. Nothing from a box, chicken, fish, vegetables, show me someone that got fat eating this and I'l show you a liar. Dairy whilst its fresh has a big fat content,
    You're not trying to loose weight, well not as basic as that, you are trying to change shape,
    Lastly, give it socks,

Sorry with the lack of posting over the past few days. I am going to try and post everyday from now on.

Ok so, I have been working out throughout the week- however, I went out for dinner after work (pizza :eek:) mid week and I had a few glasses of wine (more like alot of wine) so the gym was off the menu on Thursday.

My aim is that I train 5 times a week so now cos of my messing mid week my trainig has to spread into the weekend. I went back to the gym again last night and spent 40 mins running on treadmill - 30 mins on bike - 20 mins on cross trainer and lots of weights.

My diet has is getting better (bar my mid week mess-up). I have also started taking Maximuscle Diet (I take it after working out) -Its is not nice at all but lets just see how it goes. I am taking it becasue I have heard good reviews about it.

Ok, so I am just up now so I am heading to the gym for a workout and later today I think I am going climbing the Sugar Loaf (if the weather holds up).

gabgab wrote: »
    I have done a six week blast and have before and after pics, simply put its this:

Lift heavy weights, you will not get muscley or bulky, FACT :D
    Only eat fresh produce, use common sense, a wheel of cheese is not a good idea, and eat regularly, otherwise your body stores fat. Nothing from a box, chicken, fish, vegetables, show me someone that got fat eating this and I'l show you a liar. Dairy whilst its fresh has a big fat content,
    You're not trying to loose weight, well not as basic as that, you are trying to change shape,
    Lastly, give it socks,

Hi Gabgab,

Thanks for you comment. I have been following your log for a long time now. It kinda made me start this one as it is motivating. So thanks for following mine :)

Ok, so I have just uploaded a new pic - So you see any difference?

I went to the gym on Saturday and didn't do the Sugar Loaf as I was planning to do- this was due to the weather. I did good workout in the gym though.

35 mins non-stop on the bike at level 7

35 mins on treadmill ( I took the advice of a poster and did fast walking on incline pushed it to 74 and got heart rate up to 181-183.

Cross Trainer for 20 mins and again really pushed it I really enjoyed it.

I took Sunday off ................:(

I am thinking of training twice a day for 5 days over the next few weeks? - I think I am able for it now.

I was back in the gym this eve and did the same workout as Saturday - now I feel great tonight - which is good.

I feel that I am getting fit and I have lost weight off my face which is good but I need to balance my intake of food more. I am eating more carbs than I should be!!

I am going to start to keep a record of what I eat from tomorrow.

Sin e mo charra...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Definite progress there no doubt about it. Keep it up. Reach your goal.

kazzer wrote: »
    Definite progress there no doubt about it. Keep it up. Reach your goal.

Thanks a mill.... its tough sometimes but I just keep at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

yep it can be heard but keep it up... and if you set a long term goal it might help also. :)

best of luck

Well I have great news to report! I have lost half a stone in weight from going to the gym!! I am delighted with that.

I haven't posted for a wee while now and thats because I am looking for jobs and attending interviews so I don't have much time at the moment. I also took 4 days off training because I felt a bit worn out and my knees were at me but I am ok again:(

I am starting back again in the gym tomorrow morning.

I am going to keep at it till I reach my target!!! Its less than a month to my graduation now :)

Will post tomorrow eve after gym ...

Well I took a weeks break even though I shouldn't have.
    I started back this morning in the gym.

45 mins treadmill: Fast walking on incline followed by running.

35 mins bike: I really pushed myself on the bike today level 8 for 35 mins ( I think I left half of me on the bike).....

25 mins on cross trainer at level 6

Weights & torso twists included after cardio.

Felt good after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

great, well done so when is the big day.. looks liek your on target .:)

shels4ever wrote: »
    great, well done so when is the big day.. looks liek your on target .:)

Thanks, its the 11th of November ... but I am going to keep it going after that. My next mile stone will be Christmas!

Advertisement