Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox News and the People who Watch It - Idiots?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Lawlord007

shortys94 wrote: »
    Come on fox news is great, full of drama!

If my mates and me are very bored we sometimes switch it on for a laugh, good buzz before you head out.:)

I agree. It's not at all bad for entertainment value, as long as you dont believe anything they say. Alot of the time you cant even hear what they are saying because they are shouting over each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,348 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I had to turn those clips off - FOX spent so much time with the interviewer on camera it made me sick.

"Oh yes, she said this and that and that and this and then she did a handstand using only her left ring finger. Then she went on to say this:"

:rolleyes: Give me a ****ing break.

Overheal wrote: »
    I had to turn those clips off - FOX spent so much time with the interviewer on camera it made me sick.

"Oh yes, she said this and that and that and this and then she did a handstand using only her left ring finger. Then she went on to say this:"

:rolleyes: Give me a ****ing break.

Just as well that you did, I suppose. It only gets worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Well Palin has talked so much crap so far, some chap compiled a greatest hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrzXLYA_e6E&feature=related

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

turgon wrote: »

Enjoy!

Brilliant stuff!!!

On the topic of FOX...

Well I hate them so much.

I suppose I'm racist/far-left/sexist/ageist/anti-American/bigoted/ignorant just for saying that eh? :P

• Advertisement

turgon wrote: »

Enjoy!

The funny thing about this compilation is that it is incomplete i.e there are a number of other moments which have been just as surreal. Take, for instance, the time that she made fun of Bidenn's age only to look sheepish when Couric reminded her that McCain is older than Biden!

For those of you who have yet to see Tina Fay's skits then I strongly recommend the following.

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/categories/2000s/25066/?sort=views

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

You know just playing devils advocate here (and I'm by no means sympathetic to the Republicans) - believe it or not, Sarah Palin has real strengths.

She's come from nowhere to huge prominence in a few weeks, people (even her detractors) can't stop talking about her.

She isn't going away. Assuming Obama wins & McCain is forgotten, something tells me this is just the first we've heard of Sarah Palin.

She is beloved by the Christian Conservatives, a good 25% of the US population, and is probably now their new leader.

For all her dopey mistakes, she is intelligent enough.

And her biggest achievement ? In the mold of Ronald Reagan - she is a truly great communicator.

I'm fairly sure McCain-Palin '08 is history, as it will be President Obama. I'm just as sure this is only the beginning of Sarah Palin in US national politics.

BenjAii wrote: »
    You know just playing devils advocate here (and I'm by no means sympathetic to the Republicans) - believe it or not, Sarah Palin has real strengths.

She's come from nowhere to huge prominence in a few weeks, people (even her detractors) can't stop talking about her.

She isn't going away. Assuming Obama wins & McCain is forgotten, something tells me this is just the first we've heard of Sarah Palin.

She is beloved by the Christian Conservatives, a good 25% of the US population, and is probably now their new leader.

For all her dopey mistakes, she is intelligent enough.

And her biggest achievement ? In the mold of Ronald Reagan - she is a truly great communicator.

I'm fairly sure McCain-Palin '08 is history, as it will be President Obama. I'm just as sure this is only the beginning of Sarah Palin in US national politics.

I'm afraid that Fox has already beaten you to expressing the horrific notion that Palin may wish to run in 2012. If she is to stand any chance then she has alot of improving to do.

I cant see how she is a 'good communicator' - and God knows I've tried - since she seems unable to form a coherent sentence unless it has been engrained in her head beforehand. She is a master of the sentence to nowhere.

It is true that nobody can stop talking about her but it is for all the wrong reasons! And yes the Republicans do love her, but they would vote for a pig wearing lipstick (or even without lipstick) so long as it was Republican.

I'd also like to say that I feel genuinely sorry for her - she has been incredibly naive and alot of the mess has been of her own making, however, she has been thrown into the deep end and, unfortunately for her, is drowning rapidly.

Lawlord, everything you are saying is true with regard to the dopiness and inanities she has come out with.

But you know what, despite that, she has triumphed as a communicator.

She has come from nowhere to being the new standard bearer of the Christian right wing in the space of a few weeks. That in itself will propel her forward.

She should have been a disaster in the VP debate; but she wasn't. Despite the lies and vacuous replies, she held her own.

And you can't deny her appeal, despite being VP everyone seems more interested in her than McCain (who will be forgotten soon most likely when it is President Obama).

And as clumsy as she is, she is smart enough to learn in time.

And I really think she has one massive talent, to communicate with a huge amount of (right leaning or symaphtetic) Amrericans.

I do think there are a lot of parellels with Ronald Reagan.

Lawlord, everything you are saying is true with regard to the dopiness and inanities she has come out with.

But you know what, despite that, she has triumphed as a communicator.

She has come from nowhere to being the new standard bearer of the Christian right wing in the space of a few weeks. That in itself will propel her forward.

She should have been a disaster in the VP debate; but she wasn't. Despite the lies and vacuous replies, she held her own.

And you can't deny her appeal, despite being VP everyone seems more interested in her than McCain (who will be forgotten soon most likely when it is President Obama).

And as clumsy as she is, she is smart enough to learn in time.

And I really think she has one massive talent, to communicate with a huge amount of (right leaning or symaphtetic) Amrericans.

I do think there are a lot of parellels with Ronald Reagan.

As I said, I have nothing personal against her so I do hope you are right and I am not American, or politically-minded, so I have no bias in any of this. But objectively speaking, I cannot find any examples of her communication skills nor intelligence. In my opinion the VP debtate was scripted which is why she expressly refused to answer some of the questions. So at least she does have a decent memory. And yes, she probably is the most 'appealing' of the candidates...

• Advertisement

Lawlord007 wrote: »
    As I said, I have nothing personal against her so I do hope you are right and I am not American, or politically-minded, so I have no bias in any of this. But objectively speaking, I cannot find any examples of her communication skills nor intelligence. In my opinion the VP debtate was scripted which is why she expressly refused to answer some of the questions. So at least she does have a decent memory. And yes, she probably is the most 'appealing' of the candidates...

Lawlord, you are right in what you are saying that is critical of her technical and factual abilities.

But I think that victory in mass communication is won at different levels and in that she triumphs.

Her core constituency (the chiristain right) won't care about the lies/BS - she is one their side, that is what will count for them. That appeal can extend further than that base for her in a wider political career.

And tough as it is to face if you are the sort of person who respects arguments won purely and squarely on facts & logic (i'd like to think i am) - most people aren't like that.

They have their own prejudices and prefer to support people who play to them, regardless of fairness in facts and logic.

Hence her success in knowing how to manipulate her presentation to be appealing, regardless of "fair play".

That's why i'll give her credit for being smart - she knew who to lie to and how.

Lawlord, you are right in what you are saying that is critical of her technical and factual abilities.

But I think that victory in mass communication is won at different levels and in that she triumphs.

Her core constituency (the chiristain right) won't care about the lies/BS - she is one their side, that is what will count for them. That appeal can extend further than that base for her in a wider political career.

And tough as it is to face if you are the sort of person who respects arguments won purely and squarely on facts & logic (i'd like to think i am) - most people aren't like that.

They have their own prejudices and prefer to support people who play to them, regardless of fairness in facts and logic.

Hence her success in knowing how to manipulate her presentation to be appealing, regardless of "fair play".

That's why i'll give her credit for being smart - she knew who to lie to and how.

I agree with you, however, I would also give American voters some credit. It is no coincidence that McCain's popularity dropped the moment Palin gave those terrible interviews i.e. she did lose alot of respect. Most of those who remained on her side are the types of people who I think you are referring to i.e. those who felt they connected with her, albeit on a somewhat superficial level - those are the people who clearly have not learned the lessons of George dublya, the man who in 2000 portrayed himself as one who would look out for the ordinary people of America, because he himself was rather ordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

I believe a recent Pew research shows the amount of Democrats and Independents together make up more than the amount of Rebublicans who get their news from Fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Lawlord007 wrote: »
    I'd also like to say that I feel genuinely sorry for her - she has been incredibly naive and alot of the mess has been of her own making, however, she has been thrown into the deep end and, unfortunately for her, is drowning rapidly.

Occasionally, I feel sorry for her too but she's a little bit too arrogant at times. I hate to mix the two volatile topics of politics and football but I see her as a kind of Steve Staunton figure. Inexperienced at the top level. Lacking knowledge of the fundamentals. Dismissive of the press. Way out their depth etc. Kind of a Tim Nice but Dim figure really.

Unfortunately when Staunton screwed up, we didn't qualify for a tournament. When Palin screws up, the US invades Pakistan or nukes Russia. I think one of the scariest things about it all is that satirists don't really have to exaggerate much when poking fun at her.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

My favorite liberal alternative to Fox are the young turks. Totally biased, but admittedly so, and much funnier than O'Reilly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

banquo wrote: »
    My favorite liberal alternative to Fox are the young turks. Totally biased, but admittedly so, and much funnier than O'Reilly.

Forget the young turks.. Bill has a protege!!........ :D

Does it not work??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-teM03FPUow

oh god, thats brilliant.

Watched them there during lunch to see if they had anything on the rate cuts...
    Not a mention.

They did spend a lot of time on Obama's links to the Kenynan govt... and how this will come out tomorrow.

They showed clips of the debate last night too...all of McCain praising the U.S work ethic..

According to Fox News 87% of their viewers - yes, 87%! - thought that McCain won the debate. 11% voted Obama and 1% was undecided. Not only do these figures not add up to 100 but they are clearly suspect. I mean if you are going to lie then you should make it at least slightly believable.

....Here is Bill O'Reilly at his best....quite brilliant. You gotta watch this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tJjNVVwRCY

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I love Bill O'Reilly he tells like it is Fair, Honest and unbiased. Liberals and Poor Black people are to blame for the financial meltdown in Bill's words not mine. Plus he has an Irish surname +1

P.S. I want John McCain to win! (plus I dislike PC liberals)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Robert Kuttner on Hannity and Colmes and when Hannity doesn't like what he's saying he starts talking over him and bullying, and Kuttner having none of it and threatening to walk off the set.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

mumhaabu wrote: »
    P.S. I want John McCain to win! (plus I dislike PC liberals)
    P.S. I just want someone with an IQ over 45 to win! (plus I dislike religious extremists)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Trojan wrote: »
    ahaha, cringe :D

Did that last woman say Obama is an Arab?

zod wrote: »
    Robert Kuttner on Hannity and Colmes and when Hannity doesn't like what he's saying he starts talking over him and bullying, and Kuttner having none of it and threatening to walk off the set.

Wow, one month later, Hannity has really choked on his own words hasn't he?

"You democrats are trying to convince the American people that the economy is in Dire Straits - That is a lie."
    Trojan wrote: »

Wow. Respect for McCain, thats as good as a public apology to Obama this close to the election. But its going to shake up his base a bit. It may however just give him Ohio: they tend to respect civil politics much more than the bible belt cares for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

zod wrote: »

Isn't the guy on the right supposed to be the democratic rep on that show? Comlmes? He doesn't say a damn thing!

Edit: Left-> Right. Freudian slip?

god watching Fox news today, the anti obama rhetoric is really really getting strong on fox now.
    They must be scared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

eoghan harris in his weekly collumn in the sindo refered to bill o reilly today by calling him the best political brain in america , i spent a good half hour on the floor laughing , harris has really lost it

that said , hes always good value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭Charlie

I don't get when people slate Fox, they go straight for O'Reilly every time. I would say he is one of their staff that is much closer to the middle then the vast majority who work there.

He has been very critical of Bush for the last 3 years, has gone after a fair few top Republicans, gives Obama as fair a shout as you could expect from a right wing station, and has been openly critical of the McCain/Palin campaign.

Sean Hannity, Fred Barnes, Dick Morris, the black dude who stands in for Hannity sometimes, Steve Deucy, Gretchen Olsen, and Ann Coulter are far more annoying and ignorant.

Advertisement