Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox News and the People who Watch It - Idiots?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Does Ann Coulter work for Fox?! I didn't know that!

Out of the others, Seán Hannity is the only one with whom I am familiar, but yeah he's dirt of the highest order. However when you see some of the crap Billo pulls, screaming at people, calling them names, cutting their mics, etc., it's hard to think someone could be worse than him! It's true though that he has been quite critical of Bush at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Ann is more a guest talking head. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭Charlie

Dave! wrote: »
    Does Ann Coulter work for Fox?! I didn't know that!

Out of the others, Seán Hannity is the only one with whom I am familiar, but yeah he's dirt of the highest order. However when you see some of the crap Billo pulls, screaming at people, calling them names, cutting their mics, etc., it's hard to think someone could be worse than him! It's true though that he has been quite critical of Bush at times.

She is a paid contributor and regularly shows up on Hannity & Colmes.When people want to slate Fox and the right wing, she (or Hannity) really should be the one getting a dressing down, not O'Reilly.

The points you make about Bill though, as unprofessional as they are, they don't imply a political standing, any jerk could pull such stunts. However, people cite these as being illustrative of him being King of the right wing, whereas the reality of it is, he is one of the more moderate conservatives on that station.

His loudness and aggressiveness I think is all part and parcel of his act, Like Dunphy. It's why people tune in, and why he is the most watched cable 'news' show there is. He has coined it in for over a decade as a result of this OTT character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

oreilly is a demagogue , while not as much of a schill as hannity , he works for fox news and is therefore in the tank for the gop

btw , those who are allegedly liberals on fox are for all intense and purposes in the tank for the gop aswell , thier whats called , fox news democrats , they are there to give the illusion of a counter view , a perfect case in point is kirsten powers who half the time slates democrats and even when shes stands up for the democrats , she does so in a weak meek way and is soundly beaten by michelle malkin or what ever wingnut is opposing her

there's trouble in paradise :P
    http://thinkprogress.org/2008/10/13/nancy-v-bill-kristol/

some irony inherent in his comment, considering he suggested doing it in the 1st place
    http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/10/12/kristol/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

irish_bob wrote: »
    oreilly is a demagogue , while not as much of a schill as hannity , he works for fox news and is therefore in the tank for the gop

btw , those who are allegedly liberals on fox are for all intense and purposes in the tank for the gop aswell , thier whats called , fox news democrats , they are there to give the illusion of a counter view , a perfect case in point is kirsten powers who half the time slates democrats and even when shes stands up for the democrats , she does so in a weak meek way and is soundly beaten by michelle malkin or what ever wingnut is opposing her

Sorry, pet peeve:
    1) Intents and purposes.
    2) It's redundant anyhow. One or the other is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Sorry, pet peeve:
    1) Intents and purposes.
    2) It's redundant anyhow. One or the other is fine.

no prob , ive always been too relaxed with my sloppy spelling and laid back approach to grammar

Bill O Reilly on the McCain/Palin rally problem.

talking points memo October 13th - > http://www.foxnews.com/oreilly/index.html

He pretty much downplays the issue, skipping the entire past week of trouble, and goes straight to the bit with McCain finally standing up to his fans. Not one to rib McCain too much though, out comes his go-to villains, the dailykos.
    After castigating them for a bit, we get a shockingly funny display of irony from Bill, as he says that one shouldn't excuse bad behaviour by pointing to other bad behaviour, even though that was what he had just done, lol.

Oh they really really are ramping it up now over on Fox news.

Last night there was a show on for a whole hour presented by none other than Mitt Romney with a studio audience that roared and cheered at his one hour of obama bashing.

This afternoon lol,they went live to Rome to a "fox contributor" a priest based there who explained why it was a sin to vote for Obama on account of abortion..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Oh they really really are ramping it up now over on Fox news.

Last night there was a show on for a whole hour presented by none other than Mitt Romney with a studio audience that roared and cheered at his one hour of obama bashing.

This afternoon lol,they went live to Rome to a "fox contributor" a priest based there who explained why it was a sin to vote for Obama on account of abortion..

of course they're going to bring out theheavy hitters two days to election!
    THey covered a McCain rally where the Governator came out and chastised Obaba for having "Scraaaawny weak aarms"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Fox News.. theres no low they won't go to..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCQ4gAAVW2k

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I was watching a couple of clips today, not knowing they were Fox: clips from Mike Huckabee's show. He seems to be making a point of getting guests he disagrees with, and has been quite fair to them. I mean, you don't ask Bill Maher on, expecting to get a pat on the back. He's also had Richard Dreyfuss, fresh from his portrayal of Cheney in W., and he gets very deep on the topic of America:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

jonny72 wrote: »

That's outrageous. Did they deny it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭yaynay

Personally, I would compare the US media to what it would feel like to be apart of Scientology... It seems that the Americian people can't think or speak for themselves :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Holy crap, I'd say that's shocking but to be honest, there's very little that Fox could do anymore that would surprise me. To answer the OP's question - yes, in my opinion anyone that watches Fox and thinks what they are watching is anything other than Republican propaganda is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Holy crap, I'd say that's shocking but to be honest, there's very little that Fox could do anymore that would surprise me. To answer the OP's question - yes, in my opinion anyone that watches Fox and thinks what they are watching is anything other than Republican propaganda is an idiot.

It's spookily close to when the Simpsons parodied Fox where the Democratic spokesperson was given horns etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

can the same be said for msnbc and nbc,you watch them and you are watching democratic propaganda?

raven136 wrote: »
    can the same be said for msnbc and nbc,you watch them and you are watching democratic propaganda?

But that's okay because they are supporting Obama, you won't hear anyone complaining about that here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

yaynay wrote: »
    But that's okay because they are supporting Obama, you won't here anyone complaining about that here :rolleyes:

Seeing as America is far more right than here, then yes, Fox appears far more biased than MSNBC. However, I haven't seen anyone argue that MSNBC is unbiased on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

But that's okay because they are supporting Obama, you won't here anyone complaining about that here :rolleyes:

Relying on any single news source is a bad idea, most of them seem to be biased one way or the other. I get a lot of my news from the Guardian, I'm well aware that its pretty lefty. I also read the Fox news website once in a while to get some perspective. But Fox news really take the biscuit in terms of cynical, dirty-tactic reporting.

Take a look at this excellent article from the New Yorker - its long but its worth reading - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/nov/02/elections-obama-mccain-yorker-democrats

Its an editorial piece clearly in favour of Obama but every point is made and backed up in a reasonable and logical manner. This is not the sort of reporting that Fox engage in. Bill O'Reilly alone is a real bastard. I mean really, the guy is evil.

I think the Irish Times probably have the most neutral reporting I have come across.

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    Seeing as America is far more right than here, then yes, Fox appears far more biased than MSNBC. However, I haven't seen anyone argue that MSNBC is unbiased on this forum.

I agree nobody has argued that MSNBC is unbiased... they choose to ignore that fact instead. Seems a tad hypocritical to me, but that's just my humble opinion ;)

EDIT: Even though I'm in favour of McCain, I still believe the people at Fox News are crazy and their tactics leave a lot to be desired.

The thread is regarding Fox News. Open an MSNBC thread and you will get the same... though maybe not as harsh (as explained in my earlier post: Ireland ---> America)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that most people here don't have access to MSNBC it being an Irish board and MSNBC not broadcasting here (or are they and I missed it). People here have access to Fox on Sky. I watch it regularly for the laugh and find it incredible that people try to defend it.

As I said above, I definately am not trying to defend Fox. I'm just pointing out that biased reporting in coming from both directions, which people sometimes forget.

Ludo wrote: »
    Maybe it has something to do with the fact that most people here don't have access to MSNBC it being an Irish board and MSNBC not broadcasting here (or are they and I missed it). People here have access to Fox on Sky. I watch it regularly for the laugh and find it incredible that people try to defend it.

Doesn't CNBC sometimes change to MSNBC? I am almost certain it does.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There's nothing stopping you from digging out equally bizarre examples of blatant manipulation from other mainstream news sources, if you can find them.

I know, it's more work than just moaning about the left-wing bias here, but them's the breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Otacon wrote: »
    Doesn't CNBC sometimes change to MSNBC? I am almost certain it does.

I'm sure it does but seeing as it is business news every time I flick it on, I never bother sticking around to find out when the "real" news is on. If it was the proper MSNBC I would watch it some more and have a proper opinion of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

this probably isn't the best analogy but now you're comparing somebody who knocks over another kids sandcastle occasionally, to someone who will tie a person down in front of a speeding train daily. there's a diffirence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5crhZAAlXME

O'Reilly taking Biden's words claiming them for himself and then bashing Biden as an Unamerican terrorist loving liberal. Unbelievable and says everything about O'Reilly and Fox News. Why do people let them get away with this filth?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Not idiots just vile sc*m.
    Just read some of the comments. :mad:

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/11/03/obamas-grandmother-dies-eve-election/comments/

Advertisement