Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox News and the People who Watch It - Idiots?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Bloody hell... there really is no depths...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Letterman hands O'Reilly his testicles, Priceless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtkYGPg6u4I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

My Father-in-Law watches it for at least 2 hours a day. He believe's its good to know what the enemy is thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

marco_polo wrote: »
    Not idiots just vile sc*m.
    Just read some of the comments. :mad:

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/11/03/obamas-grandmother-dies-eve-election/comments/

I've had a quick glance through them and in fairness most of them are from "good Christians" chiding the ignorant comments made by others and sending their condolences to the man they really, really don't want to be president. I fundamentally disagree with your stereotypical Fox news viewer but they're not necessarily evil.

Obama's first and most critical task as president would be to try to unite the two very stark factions in american society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Steviemak wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5crhZAAlXME

O'Reilly taking Biden's words claiming them for himself and then bashing Biden as an Unamerican terrorist loving liberal. Unbelievable and says everything about O'Reilly and Fox News. Why do people let them get away with this filth?

1. because it's privatley owned and can therefore do whatever it wants (at least i think it can, lease correct me if not):)

2. because most intelligent people (though not everyone) don't take it, or O'Reilly seriously. everybody knows that he is just a republican attack dog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

cornbb wrote: »
    I've had a quick glance through them and in fairness most of them are from "good Christians" chiding the ignorant comments made by others and sending their condolences to the man they really, really don't want to be president. I fundamentally disagree with your stereotypical Fox news viewer but they're not necessarily evil.

Obama's first and most critical task as president would be to try to unite the two very stark factions in american society.

Indeed you are right having had a few minutes to calm down :o. It is amazing how a couple of bad comments make one completely oblivious to all the good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

^^^Absolute vintage Bill there haha. I may hate a lot of what comes out of his mouth but at least he's entertaining unlike that moron Hannity.

To be fair I think Letterman comes of worse in the O'Reilly interview. He goes down to O'Reilly's levels of ignorance imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Quint wrote: »

Bill and Geraldo are always at each other,entertaining stuff.

They're really pushing on the "coal industry" today.

They're spinning comments made by Obama to the SF Herald as "obama is going to bankrupt the coal industry"

Both Ohio and pensylvania have coal industries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

They're really pushing on the "coal industry" today.

They're spinning comments made by Obama to the SF Herald as "obama is going to bankrupt the coal industry"

Both Ohio and pensylvania have coal industries.

Apparantly it's another liberal media conspiracy, to try and hide this statement untill now.

Yet at the same time they're ignoring the fact that McCain had the same position as Obama on clean coal technology.

Slight double standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Alan's leaving H&C
    http://hotair.com/archives/2008/11/24/alan-colmes-leaving-hannity-colmes/

So now Fox have Huckabee, Glenn Beck, and an hour of Hannity 6 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Jon Stewart has an interesting reveal about Glenn Beck and his conflict of interests.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-december-10-2009/beck---not-so-mellow-gold

It seems that Mr. Beck is a paid spokesman for Goldline; the price of Gold rises during periods of fear and uncertainty; and Glen Beck is going on the Air 2x a day 5(6?) days a week (Radio and Television) to broadcast and instill fear. All the while pushing gold and raking it in.

"Yestarday, in the time that I was on the air, gold shot up $50!" -Glen Beck; The Glen Beck Show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

According to a study from The Pew Research Center in 2008, Fox News’ viewers are the most evenly divided among Democrats, Republicans, and Independents.

CNN: 51% Democrats, 18% Republicans, 23% independents
    MSNBC: 45% Democrats, 18% Republicans, 27% independents
    Fox News: 33% Democrats, 39% Republicans, 22% independents

So of the three listed, Fox News has the best representation of overall American viewership by political party. So by calling people “idiots” who watch Fox News, you are pretty much calling the best representation of Americans… “idiots.”

http://people-press.org/reports/pdf/444.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    So by calling people “idiots” who watch Fox News, you are pretty much calling the best representation of Americans… “idiots.”

If the shoe fits and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

According to a study from The Pew Research Center in 2008, Fox News’ viewers are the most evenly divided among Democrats, Republicans, and Independents.

So of the three listed, Fox News has the best representation of overall American viewership by political party. So by calling people “idiots” who watch Fox News, you are pretty much calling the best representation of Americans… “idiots.”

Democrats only watch it for research purposes

I've pretty clearly agreed since the start of the thread that that titling of such was misguided:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57302930&postcount=2

It hasnt stopped me from pointing out inconsistency and falsehoods on the network mind you.

Dave! wrote: »
    Democrats only watch it for research purposes

Let me guess... you heard that while watching MSLSD. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

To conclude that Fox is "the best representation of Americans" based upon this poll and these statistics is problematic and methodologically spurious.

If anything, what these poll statistics imply is very uncertain and limited by subjective interpretation, which leaves room for a great deal of bias when attempting to conclude anything from them?

Darrell Huff authored a little book (100 pp) decades ago that has a lot of relevance to this discussion regarding what can be concluded from these poll results called How To Lie With Statistics.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The thing that always got me about Fox is that I've always found the news itself to be quite good. It reports a slew of articles either faster than other companies, or that other companies don't report on at all. The problem is that the news bulletins get interspersed with so many opinion shows (which are not in any way neutral) that it taints the perceived quality of the reporting.

You can't discount something just because it's on Fox. You have to ask yourself 'what show in Fox was it?'

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

It seems a regular enough news channel if you were to just watch the bulletins/ news updates. The opinion shows are another matter. They can be quite hilarious.

Or quite disturbing when you think about droves of people nodding their heads away to it.

Overheal wrote: »
    Or quite disturbing when you think about droves of people nodding their heads away to it.

It really is man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 joehanley55

oh my god i am so sick of this attitude in ireland, fox news may be a lil biased towards republicans, but in the end of the day people like stossel and beck are the only ones really asking tough questions of the government of america which is eroding freedom in the name of some greater good which it feels it has the right to impose on everyone. they deal with the real issues, like growing facism in america. watch msnbc, theres a real biased network, its like a talking piece for the white house and its progressive views, which all sound great to idiots. no, people who watch fox news are not idioits(well some are), most of the people who have commented on this board are idiots. in the end of the day, anyone who doesnt agree with your views will seem biased, get over it.

MSNBC is really no better. I know that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Fox News is a joke.

And notice how its defenders all use the same "well so is msnbc" response? Creepy huh? They're fine with the bias because they're told that everyone else is too.

And then you get the truely brainwashed who consider fox to be the best source of information out there because they're tackling the major issues like "facism in america"!

It'd be funny if it wasnt so scary.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Fox News is a joke.

And notice how its defenders all use the same "well so is msnbc" response? Creepy huh? They're fine with the bias because they're told that everyone else is too.

Wrong IMO… most of the time its just pointing out the hypocrisy of those who claim Fox News (whose Pundit programming definitely leans Right, while news programs is the most fair and balanced of the networks) is biased… yet give MSNBC (whose entire programming leans Left) a free pass.

If I had to give “a label” to the networks, I’d have to say that Fox News advocates/represents Individualism, while CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS and NBC all advocate/represent Stateism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 joehanley55

wow, if only inthetrees had control, he seems to have well thought out views and could set all us brainwashed people straight. i probably dont even know that im brainwashed, i need someone like a government to tell me wat to do and wat to think, and wat to watch.

i have no problem with any news station being biased, its all relative to how u think, and wat your views are. its freedom of speech. but now the obama white house has shown that any news station that properly questions wat they are doing will be attacked by the white house at all chances. thats government imposed censership, and just because everybody believes fox news are crazy, its ok. but seeing as the government always knows best, and we're just brainwashed people, its a good idea to give up all our freedoms to them.

Oh Settle down strange new wild eyed wanderer.

The White House is blanking FOX News specifically due to its Pundits afaik

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    The White House is blanking FOX News specifically due to its Pundits afaik

Wish we could sterilize this administration…so they only could shoot blanks. ;)

They are targeting all of Fox News. If they were only complaining about the Pundits, they would have said so, as this administration chooses its words very carefully (well everyone except Joe Biden that is).

Advertisement