Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points

Options
  • 18-09-2008 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi all,

question - I have just received a notice for two penalty points for doing 69 in a 50.

here is my question - it is not a road that I really use and i haven't been on since so I wouldn't have been aware of the speed unlimit, not unless there was road signs, which I can only assume there wasn't as I never speed. ... ever.

Do I have any comeback on this or is just a fair cop?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Im sorry to say and every judge will say this...

"Ignorance to the law is no defence"

I dont agree with it most of the time.

In my opinion and it is really only my opinion if you dont know the speed limit on the road you are driving on you shouldnt really be driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You got a fine for driving 69km/h in a 50km/h zone. I dont see how you expect to get out of this? Just because you dont know the road, or didn't see the road signs that day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

My god, a speeder :eek:
    To the gallows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

So it must surely have been either in a built up area or major roadworks?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Go look for the signs, if they're there - not a chance in hell of getting off for not knowing the limit.

If they're not - almost certainly be thrown out when it comes to court cause of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭geoff29

Mini wrote: »
    Hi all,

question - I have just received a notice for two penalty points for doing 69 in a 50.

here is my question - it is not a road that I really use and i haven't been on since so I wouldn't have been aware of the speed unlimit, not unless there was road signs, which I can only assume there wasn't as I never speed. ... ever.

thanks

Hi OP, prob is - I think that the general speed limit on such roads is 50 km/h, even if no sign-posts. At least I think that would be the case against you. Hard luck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

geoff29 wrote: »
    Hi OP, prob is - I think that the general speed limit on such roads is 50 km/h, even if no sign-posts. At least I think that would be the case against you. Hard luck though.

There is no general speed limit anymore - it was done away with when we changed to km/h. Up to then, general limit was 60mph and 30mph urban.

However, new rules means each road has to be evaluated and signed appropriately (sic..)

As for OP comment
    it is not a road that I really use and i haven't been on since so I wouldn't have been aware of the speed unlimit, not unless there was road signs, which I can only assume there wasn't as I never speed.
    ...you might not get points for your speeding.........but pick up points for driving 'without due care and attention' !! :p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

This is kinda odd.
    I just got a letter with two points for doing 69 in a 50 zone aswell.
    While it is a road I use fairly regularly its a road that I know there is usually Gardaí camped out on so i wouldnt go faster that the speed limit on it...

Was the Dundrum bypass btw, silly road to have at 50km/h... :p

EDIT: Not trying to get out of it, if I was doing the bones of 70 in a 50 its my own fault, but if anyone else has gottenb a wierd PP notice id like to hear about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If you can prove that the Garda in question was not wearing his hat on at the time of the offence there is a good chance of getting the case dismissed in court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The Dundrum bypass is signed though the speed signage by the county council for that area is appalling ... just look at the N11.

Bit of a popular spot for the speed cams now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Mini wrote: »
    Hi all,

thanks

:)

Don't mind them penalty points. Their all a PR stunt by the govt and tr,it doesnt exist. You keep bombing along you crazy speed merchant. You won't keep up with me though.

Advertisement