Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Stout & Guinness Draught (moved from BGRH)

Options
  • 18-09-2008 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this the wrong forum, there's a food & drink forum around somewhere but I can't find it.

I seek the knowledge of the all knowing brothers and brotherettes:). Sure to answer this in no time.

Any shop will sells two kinds of Guinness cans.
    Guinness Draught in a jet black can and Guinness Stout with an old skool harp on it, kinda old fashioned. Is there is a difference?
    Something to do with pressure and nitrogen maybe but could you even tell the difference if I put a pint of each in front of you?
    Two different products lines in the brewery?

Something I wondered and I asked around but nobody knows and I asked the lad in the off licence and got a blank look, thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭trout

I don't know ... but you'll probably find a better answer in the Beer & Wine & Spirits forum
    ->http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=598

Would you like me to move the thread ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

please do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hell yeah you could tell the difference, although i dont have a "scientific" explanation, but with the Guinness Stout when poured into a Pint glass, it's got a fizzy yellowish head, not a creamy guinness head a la the draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Both are the same produce but the gas delivery is different

Guinness Draught is under nitrogen, which does not dissolve into the beer like C02 and creates the creamy head associated with the draft pint. the down side is that nitro beer then to be blander affairs.

the old Guinness Stout can are under carbon dioxide, this will dissolved in to the beer which give that fizzy effect/taste. But also its will from carbonic acid (AKA acid rain;)) but this will give a slight tart taste to the beer, by dropping the pH and complement the dry flavor of the roasted barely much better that nitro version IMO.

If both are fresh pout of the can, I would say so

Here is an interesting experiment compering the nitro draught stout available in Ireland and can people tell the difference, interesting results

Put your stout where your mouth is?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

There is a huge difference between the two, Guinness Draught is much nicer if poured well IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

guinness draught is a different recipe to guinness extra stout.
    they are completly different drinks, but both are stouts made by guinness

subway wrote: »
    guinness draught is a different recipe to guinness extra stout.

How, their general recipe is 70% pale malt, 20% unmalted barley and 10% roasted unmalted barely

im moving house tomorrow so all my gear is packe dup.
    i have a book on the history of guinness whcih runs through it all.

there differnt in the same way guinnes extra stout is different to guinness stout, guinness porter, foreigh extra and all the brewhouse series that were on the market over the past few years.

guinnes draught is a new recipe from the 50s, guinness extra is from the 20s (i think) and foreign extra is the closest to the earlier guinnesses from the 1800s.

guinnes draught is a new recipe from the 50s, guinness extra is from the 20s (i think) and foreign extra is the closest to the earlier guinnesses from the 1800s.

can you post these recipes or what make them different? . The 70:30:10 is supposed to be similar to what we recognize as Guinness that was developed the 1840's

I could see some changed in the percentage to accommodate the nitro version. The foreign extra (west Indian stout) is supposed to have some lactic acid added to give it aged acid twang that would have been present in the original stored strong stout

• Advertisement

like i said, all my stuff is boxed up.
    ill try to post the info next week when i've unpacked.

where did you get your info?

Ok I have found this

"Going back to "A Bottle of Guinness Please" by David Hughes I think I've found the answer. On page 74 it says that in 1972 the Guinness Park Royal brewery in London brewed extra Stout from a grist to 70-71% malted barley (I uppose it means pale malt) 9-10% roast malt and 20% flaked barley. On page 75 it gives the 1983 Park Royal grist - 60% pale malt, 30% flaked barley, 10% roast barley."

This is taken for a blog called shut up about Barclay Perkins

Looks like their was differences over time

theres a lot of info here about guinness through the years.
    it doesnt give the recipe but you can see that there are definite differences.
    http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/irlbrew.htm

you've also got me wanting to dig that book out now, but im sure ill be beaten around the head of i do it :)

theres a lot of info here about guinness through the years.
    it doesnt give the recipe but you can see that there are definite differences.
    http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/irlbrew.htm

you've also got me wanting to dig that book out now, but im sure ill be beaten around the head of i do it :)

That link is by Ron Pattinson, who also writes the blog that i gave shut up about Barclay Perkins

Advertisement