Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanet broadband

Options
  • 18-09-2008 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

HI.I am thinking of getting in Permanet broadband.I am about 18 miles from the mast as the crow flies.I have a clear view of the mast on a sunny day(i know very rare this year).I was thinking about the 2mb deal.Has any one out there got any idea of the true speed i could expect to recieve!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 d_bogtrotter

I am in knocknagoshel,between Abbeyfeale and listowel

Hi . Some people say permanet is brilliant others say it's sh!t. What mast will you be connecting to.

They also have no cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mykro28

I have been using them for about 5 months now. Despite some inital problems the service seems reliable enough. Not as good as DSL but the latency is very low for FWA and I can work and use xbox live with no issues. The spped hovers close to what you pay for but I am not convinced that I am getting the max speed all the time. I am on the biz 3Mb package and I usually get about 2Mb down and almost .5Mb up.
    Compared to DSL they are expensive but if you can't get DSL they are a real alternitave. At least you will not have to suffer crappy satalite broadband!!!!!

• Advertisement

mykro28 wrote: »
    I have been using them for about 5 months now. Despite some inital problems the service seems reliable enough. Not as good as DSL but the latency is very low for FWA and I can work and use xbox live with no issues. The spped hovers close to what you pay for but I am not convinced that I am getting the max speed all the time. I am on the biz 3Mb package and I usually get about 2Mb down and almost .5Mb up.
    Compared to DSL they are expensive but if you can't get DSL they are a real alternitave. At least you will not have to suffer crappy satalite broadband!!!!!

I think you said it all in a nutshell. When I lived in Kerry I had my Permanet installed on 9th December 2005, they were only operational a few weeks at that stage. There were a lot of problems with downtime initially but it greatly improved over time.

Just be aware that the residential 2 meg package is actually 1.7 down and 256k up. Also, residential packages use private IPs so there's no proper port forwarding for P2P apps. I was able to get a business package with them which had a static public IP so I wasn't affected by this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Been with permant since summer 2007 very please near Duagh myself and getting a great conection,im in the 1mb connection (890 d/l 128 u/l) thats a test just there(might just be getting good speeds cause the whole of kerry are on the road to Dublin) :p
    326360117.png

Can't fault them though friendly customer care etc etc

Knockanore.Iam with vodafone 3G at the moment supposed to get 2mb but only getting 1/10th of that if lucky

ye I looked into that sat as well a Neigbour has it he gettin about 450 kb and payin through the nose for it.He had tried the 3G but had no reception so had to opt for sat

Permanet 512/128 service is ~€30 but it does the job perfectly,i just wanted the upgrade the 800 kbs for better streaming and downloading

No download cap is a huge plus!

• Advertisement

Thanks.I think i will give them a go,Most of the feedback seems to be good.Like i said it cant be any worse than this 3G have to keep disconecting and re conecting to try and get a better reception

A question for ricky91t

Can you watch RTE.ie content that is Island of Ireland only?

As Permanet traffic is routed through Level 3 which is US.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Knockanore.Iam with vodafone 3G at the moment supposed to get 2mb but only getting 1/10th of that if lucky

No. There is no g'tee speed with "3", O2 and Vodaphone. It's strictly "up to" and can easily be 120k to 800k all the time depending on the mast/usage. Unlike Permanet and other fixed Wireless, the quoted 3G/HSDPA speed is not per user but the total capacity for the entire sector of mast.

barnicles wrote: »
    A question for ricky91t

Good point, I never tried! I remember the connection was detected as being in the UK at one stage so it's possible that RTE wouldn't work but BBC iPlayer would. I'll have to try it next time I'm down in my parents' house, I still pay for their connection, lol.

http://aruljohn.com/track.pl

That will track ISP and country

A question for ricky91t

I have tried this,i'v read on their site there broadband is supplied from a UK provider and at first i seemed to have issues with it,sent permanet a quick email and asked
    Hi,
    I jyust went onto the RTe website to watch live tv and it came back saying for irish only.As im located in ireland i assume its something to do with your london excahge or something.I read on the site that my isp has to contact rte which in here:
    "ISPs can contact RTÉ at onlinetechs@rte.ie. The ISP must include their AS number with any correspondence. "

And the full document in there
    http://www.rte.ie/info/avfaq.html

Many Thanks
    Richard Toolan
    and they replied :
    Hello Mr Toolan,

At the moment this is an issue with level 3. You are correct in your own
    analysis of the problem. We will be changing providers shortly and this
    should rectify the issue.

permaNET wishes to apologize for this inconvenience.

Regards,

<snip>
    permaNET Ltd.
    1890 818 599
    But i now seem to be able to watch it(just checked and the sunday game program is working(but it might not be limited to Ireland))

Oh

Can you use the iPlayer?

Nope cant use iplayer they work on unique ip addresses given out by isp and only these will work!Obviously they havn't listed Permanet :(

Watching(well listening)tothe GAA all is working ok so the issue may be sorted

ricky91t wrote: »
    Watching(well listening)tothe GAA all is working ok so the issue may be sorted

Ok,
    The iPlayer would be good :)

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    No. There is no g'tee speed with "3", O2 and Vodaphone. It's strictly "up to" and can easily be 120k to 800k all the time depending on the mast/usage. Unlike Permanet and other fixed Wireless, the quoted 3G/HSDPA speed is not per user but the total capacity for the entire sector of mast.
    Git's .They never told me that when i signed up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mlo

So is the ping good enough for online games , e.g Wow or Guild Wars?

Here's a ping I took a few days after it was installed in 2005:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50518713&postcount=7

Not super fast but way better than 3G or satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mlo

That's still pretty good, afaik anything below 200ms is good for online games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mykro28

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxxx>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=60
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=60
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=60
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 38ms, Maximum = 44ms, Average = 41ms

I use it on Xbox live and PSNetwork all the time and it is great. No issues at all.

Any update on when Permanet will be moving from Level3 to another ISP? Level3 had a major outage recently and all Permanet's customers were affected.
    On the issue of IPs, I have a static one from Permanet and it is registered to Permanet and classed as Irish by RIPE Whois.

Ah
    I was thinking of getting PermaNET as no other BB is available.

What happens if i dl 1tb?

Ah
    I was thinking of getting PermaNET as no other BB is available.

What happens if i dl 1tb?

There is no download limit and i never read anything like "subject to a fair use policy"so i'd assume nothing...
    Saying that though iv never tried

Ping just now :
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

ping boards.ie

Pinging boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=60
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=60
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=60
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 26ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 30ms

Hostname mm3087.london1.eu.level3.net
    ISP BBBK07384 VLAN 400
    Country United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thats from the tracking site posted above,
    Seems the isp is still based in the UK

mykro28 wrote: »

Any update on when Permanet will be moving from Level3 to another ISP? Level3 had a major outage recently and all Permanet's customers were affected.
    On the issue of IPs, I have a static one from Permanet and it is registered to Permanet and classed as Irish by RIPE Whois.

Nope,never got back in touch with them,Could be quiet a while and i'd assume there would be an outage for a while while it was being switched over.So they might post on there site prior to the change over to let us all know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Git's .They never told me that when i signed up for it

Every ISP provides broadband with an "UP TO" speed, its just more relevant with the technology involved in mobile broadband.
    Mlo wrote: »
    So is the ping good enough for online games , e.g Wow or Guild Wars?

I had Permanet for about a month in a house I was staying and in that time used WOW no problem, there was the occasional latency spike but still quite playable. I usually hovered around the 300ms area in game which is perfectly fine in WOW. I wouldn't recommend them if you were planning on playing fps games though, just wouldn't cut it for any serious fps gamer.

One thing that really does irritate me about Permanet is their products count upload in the advertised speeds, for instance their 2mbit broadband is actually 1792kbit down and 256kbit up. There really should be guidelines for this sort of thing brought in since most providers just count download speed as the speed of connection.

Advertisement