Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free speech with Americans

Options
  • 18-09-2008 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi,
    Does anyone know of a forum where one might have an exchange of views with American voters? I have tried a few but they are all heavily monitored and require elaborate registration procedures.
    Do Americans have the equivalent of Boards.ie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Boards.us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

If you're a liberal or left-leaning, and want to go up against the heartbeat of America (basically conservative or right-leaning), go to this site (it's not a true forum, but works okay if you stay current). It's for bass anglers like me, who have a lot to say regarding our politics. I rarely post there but enjoy reading there after visiting here, just for a breath of fresh air. Registration is very simple, and there are little rules or restrictions. But I warn you, it will be tough if you're on the left (sort of like here with a 20 to 1 ratio against someone like me).

I linked two areas of the site. They have one sight dedicated to politics, but most don't follow the rules and post to the general area instead. Warning, these guys and gals can be tough! (If you're on the left you'll love Brad).

http://www.wmi.org/multi_boards/politics/
    http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboard/other_topics/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

lol any site that seems to think Palin is a serious contender is hard to take serious.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I think Pocono's pretty much on the right track. Many American-based political boards are ideology-aligned. Basically a bunch of Democrats or Republicans all congratulating themselves on how great they are, and how the other side are complete idiots. Any dissention is promptly squashed. The few neutral ones often will simply devolve into Monty-Python style 'tis/'tisn't sort of argument. (See also Youtube's "Red vs Blue Differences between Internet and Real Life" politics example)

The best bet is to get onto a board of entirely non-political subject matter. Almost every board I can think of, from 4x4 offroading boards through firearms boards through Sci-Fi boards will have an 'off-topic' subforum which allows most topics to be discussed, almost invariably including politics. Pocono's bass angling board would be only one of these. The side-benefit is that you get onto a board which is of use to you in whatever your hobby is. Best of all, they are generally 'normal Americans', who aren't so hugely fired up about the process to go through the hassle of registering for and frequenting a politics board, but who will discuss politics as an aside, just like most people will at the pub. They are unlikely to be actively involved in a campaign. Obviously, the choice of board topic will reflect the makeup of the membership. Military or firearms boards will generally lean Conservative, for example. So, pick an interest to you which doesn't lend itself either one side or the other of the political sphere, and have at it.

NTM

Hobbes wrote: »
    any site that seems to think Palin is a serious contender is hard to take serious.

LOL! that comment soooo reminded of a recent article I read at the telegraph.co.uk "Sarah Palin: You Brits will never get her "
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/09/17/do1705.xml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The Politics boards at bigsoccer.com are pretty good. But seeing soccer is a "foreign" game in the US, it tends to be a bit more liberal than conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    LOL! that comment soooo reminded of a recent article I read at the telegraph.co.uk "Sarah Palin: You Brits will never get her "

Brits? Think you're on the wrong site mate

www.boards.co.uk

Brits? Think you're on the wrong site mate

I know the difference brother. It was just some of the points in the article that reminded me of the many similarities of comments here.

Side note: My 12 year old daughter wants to take up the drums (god help me). Any recommendations about a decent 5pc set, which would be just a little better than a beginner set.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Gaothfar

Thanks for all the information.
    I've just registered at Boards.us and they only wanted my date of birth. I'll see how that goes.
    I have tried having a real exchange of views on other US websites but have always come up against the 'this correspondence is now closed' whenever I said anything uncomfortable to American readers.
    Regards

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I would through the StraightDope in there though it is more left-leaning then here so if anyone is looking to argue with the Right then it may not be so good.

Great Debates is the place to look (and the BBQ Pit is like our Thunderdome).

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    I linked two areas of the site. They have one sight dedicated to politics, but most don't follow the rules and post to the general area instead. Warning, these guys and gals can be tough! (If you're on the left you'll love Brad).

http://www.wmi.org/multi_boards/politics/
    http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboard/other_topics/index.html

Tell them to update their BB software and I'll pay them a visit. :)

Their forums just seem so 90's it's difficult to follow for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hobbes wrote: »
    lol any site that seems to think Palin is a serious contender is hard to take serious.
    it was an easy think to think given the first impressions of her: a gun wielding moose killing hockey mom that could deliver a speech. I field dress mooses so my family can have stew! USA! USA! USA! And was it not ever timed so well with the disappointment of Hillary supporters.

by the way OP my voter card just came in the mail yesterday so you can talk to me ;)

Advertisement