Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DHCP Problems

Options
  • 18-09-2008 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi,
    I cannot connect my pc to the internet via wireless. the computer doesn't seem to be getting an ip address from the router.When I choose conect it gets as far as "renewing ip address" and then disconnects.

It can connect to other wireless networks nearby and the other computers in the house have no problem connecting to it.
    I have tried reinstalling the drivers/updating to the latest drivers for the wireless adapter but that didn't solve it.

Details:

Router: Netopia 2247-NWG
    Wireless adapter: Belkin F5D7050 Wireless USB Adapter
    Wireless Security: WPA-PSK
    Access is restricted by MAC Address

I replaced the belkin adapter with a Sweex adapter today but the problem remains.

When I run ipconfig/all there's a few things that seem wrong:

For the wireless network connection DHCP server is set to 255.255.255.255
    For the 'Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunnelling Pseudo-Interface' DHCP is not enabled and NetBIOS over Tcpip is marked as disabled.

I've tried everything I know but to no avail.
    Any ideas where to go from here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Duffman85

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭p2kone

Details:

Router: Netopia 2247-NWG
    Wireless adapter: Belkin F5D7050 Wireless USB Adapter
    Wireless Security: WPA-PSK
    Access is restricted by MAC Address

1. have you entered your new cards mac address on the netopia 2247 admin site

2. have you enter the key for wpa-psk in the wireless connection details

?

best thing is to turn off encryption and mac address filtering on the wireless router just to see if you can connect and then turn on encryption again when you know it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

If you can connect to other wireless devices nearby then it sounds like all you need to do is change you're the wireless channel on the router. It may just be interference causing you unable to connect, as stupid as it sounds it does happen. The router might be using channel 4 so change it to 7 or 11 and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

ok,the new adapter's mac address has been added to the router's allowed list. I turned off the WPA security earlier and I could connect to the internet. the router is showing up as using WPA2 in windows even though I have set it to WPA 1 and 2 on the router.
    I think I'll try setting it to WPA 1 and see what happens. Will this still be reasonably secure?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Shouldn't your subnet be 255.255.255.0?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

yep, the subnet should be 255.255.255.0 no the dhcp server.
    From what i can see neither wireless adapter supports WPA2. Thanks for that suggestion p2kone.

I came up with a workaround -

I enabled multiple ssids on the router - so there are two now one for the other
    computers using WPA 2 -PSK and one for me using WPA 1 - PSK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement