Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion: Trek 7.0 FX or similar

Options
  • 18-09-2008 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Well, I have finally managed my brother to give up the car and start cycling to college. It only took removing the tyres to persuade him ;).

Anyway, he is 19 and would only be commuting to college (8km each way).

He has about 350 to spend on a bike (could possibly take out a loan with the First National Bank of Dad to get up to 450, but the cheaper the better).

I'm going to take him to Joe Daly's on saturday and have a look at the Trek 7.0/.2. Just wondering has anyone here any experience with these bikes or could they perhaps recommend an alternative within his price range? I'm going by UK prices here, I'm hoping the 7.0FX isn't over 350 euro.

I'd be fairly happy with the Trek, but I am not that familiar with mountain bike components.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,977 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Generally speaking, bikes are more expensive here than in the UK. I checked an online website for a store here and the 7.0FX sells for €370, which isn't too bad as you normally pay more of a premium for buying locally. The FX series are good bikes. Has he factored in the cost of all the other bits and pieces he'll need for cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yup. I just ordered all the other bits off Wiggle. His total budget was €500.

The only Irish price I could find online was Worldwidecycles. I was tempted to buy from them after their stellar contribution to the SK tour this year, however it would be a bit of a trek and they do seem more expensive than some. If I lived closer I would definitely pay the premium of buying from them (well, I'm sure I could persuade my empoverished student brother!).

Advertisement