Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Handbrake

Options
  • 18-09-2008 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

was doing a pre test today. My instructor told me that when I approach a stop sign i have to come to a complete halt. Which i knew already. But he told me that i HAVE to put my handbrake up too. We came to this junction where I stopped and got ready to take my turn. I had my foot on the clutch and was in first gear, but he still told me to put the handbrake up. Is this right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Post moved to it's own thread.
    It's is not completely necessary to apply the handbrake at a stop sign, however if you're going to be there for more than 3 seconds it would be good practice to do so. Some instructors insist on doing this to ensure you actually Fully stop, there is nothing wrong with it either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I note you said pretest- I've heard people recommend using the handbrake more often than normal during the test, in case you don't realise you're on an incline and roll back which could knock your confidence. That way if you're on any bit of a hill you'll be grand starting forward and won't be marked down for the hill start. Dunno if this is technically right or wrong, it's just what I've heard and my two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

My instructor indicated that it's a good idea from a safety point of view, in case someone bumps you from behind. I suppose in the shock your foot might slip and you could end up looking at getting pushed onto traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Deadeyes wrote: »
    My instructor indicated that it's a good idea from a safety point of view, in case someone bumps you from behind. I suppose in the shock your foot might slip and you could end up looking at getting pushed onto traffic.

Yes. I would tend to agree. I would always apply the handbreak when stopped for 3+ seconds. Just a habit at this stage. But from a testing point of view, there is no requirement to do so at a stop sign, unless the junction is on a hill etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

According to my instructor, the handbrake should be applied only when you intend to be stopped for more than 5 seconds (give or take!) or you feel the car may roll backwards. Assuming the junction is busy and on an incline/hill it might be a good idea to apply the handbrake :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭SeanW

macroman wrote: »
    According to my instructor, the handbrake should be applied only when you intend to be stopped for more than 5 seconds (give or take!) or you feel the car may roll backwards. Assuming the junction is busy and on an incline/hill it might be a good idea to apply the handbrake :cool:
    +1

Advertisement