Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FOUR ASSOCIATION TOURNAMENT

• 18-09-2008 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireand have agreed to take part in a '4 Associations Tournament' in 2011

just saw this on football365 and was wondering what everybody else out there thought about it

i reckon this is really good as it means that ireland will win at least 3 games every year, that's gotta be a good confidance builder

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

MEH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Savman wrote: »
    MEH

Agreed.

It's a makey-up tournament for teams that can't qualify for real tournaments.

It's going to be played in the Summer months, which means the players will treat it the same way as they treat the blazer junket trip to Amerikay which involves some matches being played.

Maybe Joe Lapira will get another cap :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You'd be lucky to get a decent team of senior players involved. It will probably be a load of new faces looking to break in to the team.

At least with this there is a bit of local pride involved compared to going to America

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

dantes74 wrote: »
    i reckon this is really good as it means that ireland will win at least 3 games every year, that's gotta be a good confidance builder

why would you take it as a guaranteed 3 wins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm looking forward to it anyway. I'd rather we played our neighbours and have something at stake than have a friendly with Belarus or what have you.

I always get the feeling some fans in this country will be negative no matter what.

"Hey did you hear Ireland are set to play a four-team tournament with Brazil, Argentina and Spain?"

"Who cares? We'll just get beaten. It's a waste of time."

"Oh right."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Des wrote: »
    Maybe Joe Lapira will get another cap :rolleyes:

If ever there was a doubt EL players are being overlooked for international football, Joe Lapira is the answer.

Utterly retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'd rather we played our neighbours and have something at stake

There is absolutely zero at steak in this "tournament".

Nothing.

Nada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Nothing.

Nada.

well the potential to cultivate something of a rivalry between the countries involved will surely make this tournament a better alternative to the usual dull friendies we see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It'll certainly be competitive. The winners will actually celebrate when they lift the cup imo. Not your pre-season tournie type anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nothing.

Nada.

No one will want to lose it. I think it could get quite interesting on the final day. Plus if it proves a hit you could see England get involved and then we could have a tournament similar to rugby's Six Nations. I'm sure that is the ultimate goal for the associations.

I don't think we should brand it a failure before a ball has been kicked. I think it's worth giving it a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ireland -v- Scotland, which to wear my Man Utd jersey or Celtic jersey mmmmm.:rolleyes:

Another money maker for the FAI, and they'll blow it all away just like the money we got in 1990, etc...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Well I for one want to watch Ireland play for something even if it is a bit on the makey upy side of things, it could spawn a 6 nations style tourney down the line and that would be excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I'm torn about it tbh. One one side it'll be great to see more than just friendlies from time to time. Okay maybe the players might still treat it as one but the possible atmosphere that could be generated certainly wont.

On the other hand, friendlies are very handy when facing teams that play in the particular style of a someone in our qualifying group. That, and the fact that this team needs as much practice as possible playing away from home, and staying in our home comforts won't help us in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nothing.

Nada.

Not even a bit of sirloin or a T-bone?

well definately not fillet but possible some lower quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah I'd still imagine its better than some ridiculous friendly against poor opposition.
    Its still not very appealing though.

the main positive is that it may drum up more entusiasm with younger fans who amy be a bit deluded, I grew up during a great time for irish football in the early 90's I haven't had much to cheer about since, I guess the world cup in japan/korea but obviously that was kind or marred with nonsense.
    So I think for younger fans it might see a slight resurgance possible could lead on to greater things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

mayordenis wrote: »
    the world cup in japan/korea but obviously that was kind or marred with nonsense.

It provided great entertainment though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

if it turns out to be like 'le tournoi' and we see another roberto carlos freekick like he did, if all for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Make it under 23s and then I'll support it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

***** idea. Waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Nothing.

Nada.

Chump maybe ;)

Ireland -v- Scotland, which to wear my Man Utd jersey or Celtic jersey mmmmm.:rolleyes:

Yes indeed, its important to restate my point over and over and over and over and.... zzzzzz*

*sorry couldn't resist.
    single issue candidate FTW ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Might be a good opportunity for some LOI players to try and make the step up..... Other than that I don't really see the point of playing teams with similar styles to ourselves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Might be a good opportunity for some LOI players to try and make the step up..... Other than that I don't really see the point of playing teams with similar styles to ourselves...

Exactly... this is what it could be used for. We should have a policy for at least 5 LOI players on the pitch at once. If its gonna be competitive, lets see how'd they'd get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Trilla wrote: »
    Exactly... this is what it could be used for. We should have a policy for at least 5 LOI players on the pitch at once. If its gonna be competitive, lets see how'd they'd get on.

Why?

We should have our 11 best, not some quota filling rubbish. There is already some under 23 EL only competition for this anyway.
    I always get the feeling some fans in this country will be negative no matter what.

It seems to be purely the preserve of EL types who wonder why nobody wants to join them watching Shels in Division 1.

Woah. Didnt see that one soming.

Another money maker for the FAI,

Money spinner?

Of course it is a funking money spinner. How do you think the FAI would fund the youth academies people have been crying out for for years? Magic beans.

ffs I know the FAI has, even to near the present day, had a chequered history but it is a step in the right direction. Yes, it is a minor cup on the world scene. So are whatever Mickey Mouse trophies Man U and the rest play for in Africa/Asia pre seasons. So what?

I dont like the talk of a league format mind. If England were in it we would have enough for group stages wouldnt we? Building points up in such a short tournament is a bit boring tbh, unless each team plays each other twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

shane86 wrote: »
    Why?

We should have our 11 best, not some quota filling rubbish. There is already some under 23 EL only competition for this anyway.

Our best isnt good enough it seems for bigger competitions... and it would be interesting to see how well our LOI cream of the crop would fair in this "competitive" tourny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Is it on every year or every few years?

I think if it's on every 2 years, fair enough. It's a chance for fans to travel, have some craic, and for the squad to spend more time playing together. That said, I'd imagine there won't be much to play for and that the standard of football won't be world beating.

Advertisement