Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheaten Terrier Pup

Options
  • 18-09-2008 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi All,

We're getting an 8 wk old female wheaten terrier pup tomorrow - I actually think I'm more nerveous about bringing her home than I was with either of the kids! - and would love any advice people have about this breed, especially toilet training.

Although I've had dogs before I've always got them when they were a year or two old and this is the first puppy we've had - in fact she's the first dog we'll have had as a family.

I know she'll probably be a bit upset by a new house and being away from her mum and sisters so is there anything we can do to try and minimise the upset. I've asked the breeder to give us an old blanket that they've all been sleeping on, so hopefully the scent will help her over the first few days.

Ideally I'd like her to be outdoors during the day and then sleep indoors - obviously she'd be in and out during the day - but at what age is it ok for her to be left alone outside. We have a very secure back garden so I'm not worried about her escaping but she'd be alone from about 8:30 till 1 four days a week.

Thanks in advance,

o29

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm still in the puppy stages with Ruby at the moment, so what can you expect...

Well, remember how difficult things were when you brought your human babies home, teething/crying/peeing & crapping etc.. Same thing with a puppy I'm afraid, but as dogs lives move along quicker than our's your dog will move through these stages much quicker - but its just as fustrating for the first few weeks.

I'd suggest setting routines early and sticking with them through thick and thin.

There's more experienced people using this forum than me who'd be better placed to advise you further, I'm just passing on my recent puppy experiences.

Btw, I love the Wheaten's. Will you post a photo when you take some please?.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

We used a crate for our most recent pup (available from petshops) - it provides an area of security for the pup and contains the damage (especially useful as you say it will be indoors at night). We kept the crate beside our bed for the first few nights just to settle her in, then moved it to the utility room (intended home). She will probably whimper at night for the first couple of nights as she misses the litter. Ask your breeder what feed she has been weaned onto and get some of it so that her digestive system isn't upset. Longer term, look for a puppy training class near to you as even with having had dogs before it helps you remember how to train.

Advertisement