Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History or Ag Science?

Options
  • 18-09-2008 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm currently doing Art, Business, English, Geography, Maths, Classics, History and French.

I picked up Business and History this year (both new to me) because I was waiting to find out if I could get Classics grinds nearby.
    Now that I know i can do Classics, should I drop History (a huge course) for Ag. Science (a managable course)?

I'll be applying for English in UK colleges.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

History is v difficult. You have 5 essays I think at 2.5 pages minimum with 8 relavent points each supposedly. I got an A1 in hons history and only a D1 in LC hons history

At the ned of the day if its not a course requirement go with the 'soft' subjects to get the points up. Its all about points, its a points based system so use the system in your favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Phototoxin wrote: »
    At the ned of the day if its not a course requirement go with the 'soft' subjects to get the points up. Its all about points, its a points based system so use the system in your favour.

Not in the UK. They'll know what subjects she's doing and many universities there frown on the less traditional ones.

I would reccommend doing as many essay-based subjects as possible if you're applying for English. Which universities are you thinking of?

Also why are you doing 8 subjects? It just seems a little strange that you're worrying about workload on one hand but taking on extra subjects on the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Scarface Claw

One of my subjects is pass, and I'm not relying on art for points, it can be a fallback.

Coke, would you say the fact that I'm doing classics aswell would cancel out that frown?

I'd be going for Edinburgh uni, also thinking of applying to Cambridge for the hell of it. Highly doubt ill get accepted, may aswell try though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Well your offer is going to be based on 5 or 6 subjects, and assuming it's Maths you're doing at ordinary, you've got 4 "good" arts subjects without History so I'd say you'd be fine.

Most people I know who did history would constantly moan about time and their sore hands and bla bla bla, but I think all that would be good for you in a way. There'll be no avoiding writing essays under pressure in Cambridge and Edinburgh. The reason unis don't take say Media Studies as seriously as English Literature is less to do with Media Studies being easy to get an A in and more to do with it not being great preparation for a degree. Just something you might wanna think about.

But at the end of the day you need your AAAAAB/AAABB or whatever so if you think that'd be doable with ag science but history then go for ag science.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

If you don't have to do History, then I would advise not to. It's a huge course, a hard exam, and requires not only a great deal of knowledge and essay-writing skills on the day but also a pre-written, researched journal to submit.

Ag Science and Classics are, by all accounts, far more manageable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement