Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Prediction for this season [Thread started by PHB]

• 18-09-2008 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Some interesting UEFA cup happenings thus far tonight. Both Kewell and Baros on the scoresheet for Galatasary this evening. And Everton having terrible trouble with Standard Liege at home!! :)
    That not really surprising. Liverpool and all their multi million pound signings had trouble with them. And Blackburn beat Everton this season already.

So nothing surprising there really. I don't see why it would make you happy either, I'd have thought you would prefer them to progress in European competition and have less to offer at the weekends. That way they don't end up costing Liverpool fourth place. After all that is the only Champions League spot thats available with the way Arsenal have started.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

eagle eye wrote: »
    After all that is the only Champions League spot thats available with the way Arsenal have started.

Am I missing something ?

League

Liverpool P4 W3 D1 L0 P10
    Arsenal P4 W3 D0 L1 P09

Europe:

Liverpool P1 W1 D0 L0 P3
    Arsenal P1 W0 D1 L0 P1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tusky wrote: »
    Am I missing something ?

League

Liverpool P4 W3 D1 L0 P10
    Arsenal P4 W3 D0 L1 P09

Europe:

Liverpool P1 W1 D0 L0 P3
    Arsenal P1 W0 D1 L0 P1
    No, I'm talking about the PL. You guys are fighting for fourth place in the PL. So you would be better off with Everton in Europe because this year they will not be challenging the top four and if they have no Europe either that makes derby matches much more important to the fans, therefore if they go out of Europe and are fresh they will give Liverpool a much harder time.
    You guys should be rooting for them in Europe in the early stages at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Fighting for fourth? Yeah, I suppose so. After all, we're joint top of the league, have just beaten the defending champions, and have a squad that boasts Torres, Gerrard, Keane, Macherano, Carragher, Reina... so we'll definitely be relying on Everton having a few European hangovers if we want to hang onto our grip on 4th position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

eagle eye is the new Boggles! :pac:

I for one hope nEverton have a decent run of excursions to eastern Europe this winter for the reason stated, but either way they will not be within shouting distance of Liverpool this season.

Mike.

Fighting for fourth? Yeah, I suppose so. After all, we're joint top of the league, have just beaten the defending champions, and have a squad that boasts Torres, Gerrard, Keane, Macherano, Carragher, Reina... so we'll definitely be relying on Everton having a few European hangovers if we want to hang onto our grip on 4th position.
    This is the only addition to the squad since last year that you mention. United have had a horrid start to the season but they will fill one of the top two places with Chelsea. If Arsenal had not started well I'd give you a chance of maybe battling for third but they did start well also so you can forget about third. Its between yourselves, City with Villa having a very outside chance of giving it a run. Do you remember the Villa Park match, and the two unconvincing wins at the start of the season. Or does you mind only remember the last game?
    I don't support any of the top four, so there is no hidden agenda here from me. I just say it as I see it. And its pretty clear to me that Liverpool are battling for fourth place yet again.
    The addition of Keane might be of benefit in that battle.

• Advertisement

You do realize that Liverpool finished 3rd (above Arsenal) twice in the last four years ? Basically, youre talking ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

This is the only addition to the squad since last year that you mention. United have had a horrid start to the season but they will fill one of the top two places with Chelsea. If Arsenal had not started well I'd give you a chance of maybe battling for third but they did start well also so you can forget about third. Its between yourselves, City with Villa having a very outside chance of giving it a run. Do you remember the Villa Park match, and the two unconvincing wins at the start of the season. Or does you mind only remember the last game?
    I don't support any of the top four, so there is no hidden agenda here from me. I just say it as I see it. And its pretty clear to me that Liverpool are battling for fourth place yet again.
    The addition of Keane might be of benefit in that battle.

There is a difference between finishing 4th and being in a battle for 4th. There was no such battle last year and i'd say the same will apply this year.
    Arsenal started well but showed the same tendancies as last year. Lovely football but still trying to walk it into the net.

Liverpool have had a mixed bag start and are still 2nd in table. It's going to get better as well. Skrtel, Torres, Babel into their second season so expect to see improvements from them. magine the thought of Torres getting better!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That not really surprising. Liverpool and all their multi million pound signings had trouble with them. And Blackburn beat Everton this season already.

So nothing surprising there really. I don't see why it would make you happy either, I'd have thought you would prefer them to progress in European competition and have less to offer at the weekends. That way they don't end up costing Liverpool fourth place. After all that is the only Champions League spot thats available with the way Arsenal have started.

More and more, my first reaction to your posts is becoming: "Jaysus".

It makes me happy to see that they are also causing Everton trouble - for it makes our labors look less bad retrospectively.

Secondly, I'm a Liverpool fan so I wish ill upon Everton! :)

And finally, if a challenge to the top four is coming - it won't be from the Toffees.

Chill out man and relax!! :)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    More and more, my first reaction to your posts is becoming: "Jaysus".

It makes me happy to see that they are also causing Everton trouble - for it makes our labors look less bad retrospectively.

Secondly, I'm a Liverpool fan so I wish ill upon Everton! :)

And finally, if a challenge to the top four is coming - it won't be from the Toffees.

Chill out man and relax!! :)
    On this bit, I did not say that, but if you end up dropping four points in these two games it will have a huge bearing on where you do finish. It is going to be a very tight battle for fourth this year imo.

On this bit, I did not say that, but if you end up dropping four points in these two games it will have a huge bearing on where you do finish. It is going to be a very tight battle for fourth this year imo.

If we drop four points over the two games against any of our league opponents it will hurt!! The Everton games hold significance in that they are the local derby and are usually particularly physical in nature. However, they will not be Champions league qualification six pointers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Has someone told him that arsenal have already lost this season. I see liverpool grabbing 3rd place this season.

The way liverpool took control and beat Utd was very pleasing on the eye and Reira looks like he maybe the solution to our left wing problems. Early days yet of course. I expecat stoke us to beat stoke 2:0, hopefully keane will break his scoreing duck.

Villa look very decent when at full strenght, but could be stretched by Europe, ditto Everton - who have little beyond thier best starting 11, Spurs are fupped already. They have no depth at all, Pompey should be consistent when they get a few players back, again Europe could be a problem, City are well, City. Even a spending spree in January might yeild little tangible - its hard to drop a bunch of names into a squad mid-season.

Who outside that lot will even be at the races?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Jesus Titty fcuking Christ eagle eye, another 8 baller is in the house predicting the future and talking through his hoop.

mike65 wrote: »
    Villa look very decent when at full strenght, but could be stretched by Europe, ditto Everton - who have little beyond thier best starting 11, Spurs are fupped already. They have no depth at all, Pompey should be consistent when they get a few players back, again Europe could be a problem, City are well, City. Even a spending spree in January might yeild little tangible - its hard to drop a bunch of names into a squad mid-season.

Who outside that lot will even be at the races?

Mike.
    I've said it above already. I don't believe that Everton will be challenging. My original point regarding Everton is that if they end up out of Europe and you guys are still in Europe then you play a fresh Everton team and they will be putting their very best foot forward on both occasions.
    As regards teams that will challenge for fourth, City will certainly challenge and I don't believe they need any strengthening to do that.
    Aston Villa have improved steadily under Martin O'Neill and have a decent squad but they look a little light up front. If they can keep Agbonlahor and Carew fit all season they will give it a run also. Carew has been very injury prone in the past and he limped off the other night so that might be tough.

Its going to be a lot tighter this season for fourth spot and I'm not saying that Liverpool will not get there, but anyone with dreaming of a title challenge this season is deluded. Maybe I went a bit overboard saying that its definitely fourth place at best but Arsenal look better to me this year than last.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Talking through your hole,

Talking of Liverpool winning the league is about as deluded as saying they will be at best getting 4th. Total nonsense. Thanks for making me laugh though always nice to have something incredibly stupid to read in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I think it is very early to be talking about the top 4. United have had a terrible ficture list to start with and if they lose to Chelsea, they will have lost 1/3 of their "top 4" games, which is probably unusual for them.

Liverpool haven't done anything to suggest they will surpass United in the league. They look a better team, but they're not playing well and I'm not sure if they will recover from a bump in the road.

I'd go with Liverpool for 3rd or 4th again. I think their games with Arsenal will be telling.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Talking through your hole,

Talking of Liverpool winning the league is about as deluded as saying they will be at best getting 4th. Total nonsense. Thanks for making me laugh though always nice to have something incredibly stupid to read in work.
    A little more detail please as to where the sufficient improvement will come from to finish better than fourth.

Ok well we've already improved on any of our previous league meetings with utd under benitez,
    After that I would say keane and Reira as new signings should improve the first team,
    Babel should push on and become a more influential player, maybe just maybe popping up with the odd vital goal to make some utd fans shut up,
    Agger back to full fitness will be great missed him alot last season.
    More options at right and left back with degen and dossena, plenty of incredible talented youngsters mean we can really rest players for the carling cup and still expect a strong side.

A little more detail please as to where the sufficient improvement will come from to finish better than fourth.

I think Liverpool will finish 3rd. Flamini & Hleb are pretty big losses for Arsenal and they barely strengthened during the summer. Apart from that, Liverpool finished 3rd twice in the last four years so its not like they need MASSIVE improvement to do that again.

However, I do think the team is stronger than least year.

Attacking options of Torres, Gerrard, Keane, Kuyt, N'gog, Riera, Babel, Pennant & Benayoun is pretty damn decent. Babel seems to have improved since last year, as does Reina & Skrtel. They also have a top class 2nd choice keeper in Caviliari. Also, Agger is a big player for Liverpool and he missed all of last year.

My prediction:

Chelsea
    Manchester Utd
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Aston Villa
    Everton/Man City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

t will challenge for fourth, City will certainly challenge and I don't believe they need any strengthening to do that.
    Aston Villa have improved steadily under Martin O'Neill and have a decent squad but they look a little light up front. If they can keep Agbonlahor and Carew fit all season they will give it a run also. Carew has been very injury prone in the past and he limped off the other night so that might be tough.

Its going to be a lot tighter this season for fourth spot and I'm not saying that Liverpool will not get there, but anyone with dreaming of a title challenge this season is deluded. Maybe I went a bit overboard saying that its definitely fourth place at best but Arsenal look better to me this year than last.

Here are both squads as per the BBC website:
    Reina			Friedel		Hart
    Cavalieri		Guzan		Schmeichel

Arbeloa			Young		Onuoha
    Degen			Gardner		Zabaleta
    Darby  					Mills

Carragher		Laursen		Dunne
    Skrtel			Davies		Ben-Haim
    Agger			Knight		Richards
    Hyypia			Cuellar

Aurelio			Bouma		Ball
    Dossena			Shorey		Garrido
    Insua

Gerrard			Barry		Kompany
    Mascherano		Reo-Coker	Elano
    Alonso			Sidwell		Ireland
    Lucas			Petrov		Johnson
    Plessis					Hamann

Babel			Young		Wright-Philips
    Riera			Milner		Robinho
    Benayoun		Routledge	Petrov
    Pennant
    El Zhar

Torres			Agbonlahor	Jo
    Keane			Carew		Benjani
    Ngog			Harewood	Vassel
    Kuyt					Sturridge
    					Boljinov

Nemeth			Delfouneso	Martin
    Spearing 		O'Hlloran	Gelson
    Pacheco		Baker		Caicedo
    Kelly			Herd		Castillo
    Fkynn			Stieber		Etuhu
    Hansen					Logan
    Idrizaj					Williamson
    San Jose				Glauber
    Roque					Weiss
    Gulasci					Mee
    Flora					Obeng
    					Ramsey
    					McGivern
    					Mentel
    					Brown
    					Tsiaklis
    					Morris
    					Williams
    					Ball
    					Hussein

The lads at the bottom are lads on the edge of the first team or players that I don't have a clue about. If they should be in any position, I will move them upon being corrected.

There is no doubting that both Villa and City are building something but the Liverpool squad has that bit more across the board, both in terms of quality and sheers numbers.

• Advertisement

I know its not your fault but richards should be in the city team no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

mayordenis wrote: »
    I know its not your fault but richards should be in the city team no?

Corrected :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Please take Danny Mills out of there and put him at the bottom.

Thanks

Corrected :)

liverpool would dick them either way so no big deal :P

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

All the Liverpool players will die eventually anyway, we are going to die too, simple economics like, there is no point in anything at all, the world will end in 5 weeks too, allegedly, so, at that particular time, Liverpool will have the most league titles, and the most European cups out of all the English teams, therefore making me class, and everyone else gay, because bottles of Buckie rule all, and Torres is sexy, know what I mean yeah?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

good old drunkeness

All the Liverpool players will die eventually anyway, we are going to die too, simple economics like, there is no point in anything at all, the world will end in 5 weeks too, allegedly, so, at that particular time, Liverpool will have the most league titles, and the most European cups out of all the English teams, therefore making me class, and everyone else gay, because bottles of Buckie rule all, and Torres is sexy, know what I mean yeah?

you win the soccer forum, simple as

A few observations on the panels.

Vincent Kompany started his career as a Centreback and can play that position at the highest level. So he is cover in that position also.
    Stephen Ireland has shown that he can play either side as well as in the middle so he covers both sides of midfield as well.

Liverpool are by far the weakest of the three in the wide areas. This has been a problem for Liverpool throughout the Benitez era.

As I have said before they are capable of beating the best teams on any given day, its when they come up against the teams that play a defensive midfielder in a five man midfield that they seem to have problems, reason being there is no natural wide players and they just don't seem to know what to do except keep trying to put the ball through a bunch of players.

Just look at the record over the last two years.

P 38 W 20 D 8 L 10
    P 38 W 21 D 13 L 4

Last year Liverpool had 21 wins, Arsenal 24, Chelsea 25 and United 27.
    The previous year it was Liverpool 20, Arsenal 19, Chelsea 24 and United 28.
    The big problem here is the amount of wins. Its just not enough, you need 25 wins minimum to contend. While last year there were less defeats, the number of draws grew while you only had one extra win. This is the Liverpool problem, if you solve this you can challenge for a title. If you don't solve it this year you can expect to struggle to gain a Champions League spot.
    The reason I see City as such a threat is that I expect a high number of wins given the attacking threat they pose. They seem decent at the back and have a very solid looking midfield.

City will not win more than 20 games this season though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Riera has looked good, although he has barely played 2 games, but still, he has looked good.

Babel played well against Marseille I thought, and is always a threat because he has a good shot on him, and wins penalties too.

Gerrard will also feature on the right a lot of the time IMO, which, is on the wing, I think, and in that position he is arguably in the top 5 in the world at least.

Benayoun is a decent player, he'll never be a world beater or anything like that but he can create something out of nothing and scores a few too, he's a very good squad player to have, IMO.

When(hopefully) Keane scores his first goal I'm sure more will follow and that will give us an extra goal threat, if he scores over 15 goals, which he is well capable of doing, it will be a very good season for him and for us too.

Kuyt played decent against United and I think as a striker he is a much better player than when he plays on the right, he got into some very good positions against United but missed all his chances, but I'm sure the goals will come for him eventually, as they did in the Dutch league.

Our defence is class, we let the least amount of shots against last season and have consistently had one of the top 3 defences in the league over the past 3 seasons, and Reina has a couple of golden gloves to prove it. Mascherano too is arguably the best holding midfielder in the game at the moment and provides great cover, as does Alonso.

So, basically, I think we will come close, hopefully, but we'll probably do bad in the European cup since we've won a game already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Top 4 will be business as usual, the league again is down to Chelsea and United with Liverpool and Arsenal fighting for 3rd and 4th.

City and Villa are building nice squads but they won't get near the top 4 this season.

Since the Premeir league started money has always ruled and more often that not the team that spends the most money on the top quality players wins the league, that's why next season I give City a big shout to make a go at the CL places.

As for Spurs, the top 11 teams could donate their star player and they would still be mediocre, I'm already hearing cries of Ramos out.

As for people basing there opinions on how the table looks now after 3/4 games, have a look at the table this time last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

zAbbo wrote: »
    Jesus Titty fcuking Christ eagle eye, another 8 baller is in the house predicting the future and talking through his hoop.
    I'm absolutely amazed that despite being on this board for years, some posters cannot help but repeatedly reply to these type of comments and then incessantly complain about constant "trolling".

Not helped by mods making it into a thread of it's own, further increasing the exposure and sh*tetalk.

Here's a hint lads: stop bleedin' replying and they'll stop bleedin' trying.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

PiE wrote: »
    I'm absolutely amazed that despite being on this board for years, some posters cannot help but repeatedly reply to these type of comments and then incessantly complain about constant "trolling".

Not helped by mods making it into a thread of it's own, further increasing the exposure and sh*tetalk.

Here's a hint lads: stop bleedin' replying and they'll stop bleedin' trying.
    But, PiE: where's the fun?

This chat was not about Liverpools possible/probable finishing position, it was about who'd finish 4th (and in the minds of some knock Liverpool back into 5th). So the thread title is misleading frankly.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

stupid thread eagle eye was looking for a rise as per usuall and you make things worse by giving a thread of its own.

lets make threads:
    man utd prediction for this season
    chelsea prediction for this season
    arsenal predition for this season
    man city prediction for this season
    everton prediction for this season
    stoke prediction for this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Boards soccer forum is getting worse and worse everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

This is a shockingly childish thread :o

Agreed. I'm getting pretty sick of these trivial and pointless threads being started by whoever.

Surely the Liverpool predictions can be kept to the Liverpool thread. Isn't that what it's there for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

GuanYin wrote: »
    I'd go with Liverpool for 3rd or 4th again. I think their games with Arsenal will be telling.

Same as, can't see Liverpool finishing in the top 2, slightly better chance that Arsenal will, but only slightly. Chelsea for the league and United 2nd me thinks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Agreed. I'm getting pretty sick of these trivial and pointless threads being started by whoever.

So true and having to have match threads also is a joke, matches are the main point of a teams season so why take them out and isolate them away from a complete discussion??

• Advertisement

RustySpoon wrote: »
    So true and having to have match threads also is a joke, matches are the main point of a teams season so why take them out and isolate them away from a complete discussion??

I actually think the match threads are working quite well. But removing this original discussion from the team thread is beyond ridiculous imo!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Agreed. I'm getting pretty sick of these trivial and pointless threads being started by A mod PHB.

Surely the Liverpool predictions can be kept to the Liverpool thread. Isn't that what it's there for?

fixed

I did not start this thread as has become clear at this stage. I was not looking to 'stir' things either. My first post was a reply to someone I respect as a very good poster. It might have got out of hand a bit since then but others have done this, not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I can tell you all exactly where Liverpool are going to finish this year.

Now, if ye all just wait patiently untill next May, I'll answer all ye're questions!

Bump! So Karmafaerie where is Liverpool going to finish?! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

mike65 wrote: »
    Bump! So Karmafaerie where is Liverpool going to finish?! :)

next year is your year, next year. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Some delightful reading here;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Ntl....i found the climax to the season very interesting, we kept steam rolling opponents while Utd wobbled in numerous games but still picked up the points required to win the league. What wasn't interesting about that? you thought Utd would run away with the league. they didn't. you thought Liverpool wouldnt be close, they were.

I thought things would get interesting and they surely did.

However, 2 things i find more interesting are;

1) Your inability to offer anything to this forum other than constant petty digs at Liverpool.

2) The amount of space in your sig dedicated to me. I think you have a crush. I'll go on a date with ya if you like, you're paying though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

After the lack of class by Benitez yesterday he has just made sure United will give everything to get 19 next season.
    Can you imagiane Fergies teamtalk for start of next year :D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm in there too now it seems. Good to see my optimism amuses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement