Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Ole Careers Dept.........

Options
  • 19-09-2008 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭

lads as much as we have all given out about the Careers Dept in the college over the years..

my little sister was up at the Higher Options in the RDS today and she is wanting to follow in the footsteps of my myself and some of my other siblings and head towards ul...

however she had a few questions regarding the architecture course and the required portfolio which nobody could help her with just point her towards the prospectus...

also other fellow students from the school found it hard to even get a prospectus off them... The school also brings a bus load of interested students to limerick during the open days.. so hopefully when the girls go visit ul in october they get a much better feel for the place that has so much going for it... and will see ul for what it is.. thankfully there is plenty of lecturers etc on hand on the day to guide these students in the direction in which they want to head...

so lets all hope that the blooming Careers Div cops on abit... as anyone who has done co-op knows how much fun it is to deal with them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

key point...

young sister...:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

I'm not sure if your still around UL but they usually hand out prospectus' like candy, so I'm a little surprised by that.

Apart from that, the architecture course is very new, So I'm not too surprised that people didn't know about it, though that is a weak excuse anyway.

I myself never went to a UL Open Day so I cant say what its like, but I'm sure others can.

I'm sure you've told her what a great place UL is anyway, even if it is full of perv's like kaimera :)

Edit: And PeakOutput

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

pics plix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Peteee wrote: »
    I'm sure you've told her what a great place UL is anyway, even if it is full of perv's like kaimera and peak :)

fixed it for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

When I went to the open day it was in the last century (god that makes me sound old) so I'm sure its changed a good bit since then.

As you say Nutty, Have her talk to the lecturers. They should know about it. Like Peteee said, she should have no problem getting a prospectus on the day. You can even call UL and they will send out one and I think they will also send out specific info on the course your interested in. Once she has this she can see what modules she'll be doing and she could compare them to modules in other colleges that have been doing architecture for years.

I know a guy who did architecture in Dublin (I forget which college). But the portfolio is a must. They expect alot of effort in it and for the candidate to have sketches and technical drawings of alot of differeing types of structures/statues/etc. It took him a few months to do so tell your sister to start it now as it'll make it easier and she'll have time to edit drawings or put in extra ones.

Also he had to do 2/3 interviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭McGetty

I came to the open day here when I was in secondary school and don't remember there being much structure to it. There was no real assembly or anything or a speech from the college, just a few people stationed here and there to answer questions about that part of the college, and you were just kind of left to wander around by yourselves for most of the day. So of course me and my friends spent half the day trying to find how to get to the glass tunnel between the main building and foundation building.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

yeah i dont remember there being much structure either. i just ended up getting lost and only barely getting the school bus home. i was interested in a new course, and no one knew anything about it. was kinda bizarre that when i got it and came up for orientation still no one knew anything about it. i still have to explain what im doing anytime anyone asks me.. "law plus?... law plus what?". it is a silly name though.
    So of course me and my friends spent half the day trying to find how to get to the glass tunnel between the main building and foundation building.

hmm i spent mine in the sports bar with my mates trying to get served, in my uniform too. on the open day. cant remember why i was surprised i wasnt.

Advertisement