Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Nissan Tilda Copy! = New Avensis

Options
  • 19-09-2008 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

Yuck!

I always found toyota's especially the yawn :rolleyes: Avensis to be the motoring equivalent of white goods.

The nearest thing to e.g. a fridge, it works, you barely know its there and they are totally bland and inoffensive

Now Toyota are bringing ot a "new" Avensis and to me its obvious they checked out all the ugly cars and settled on a nissan Tiida for the styling.

First I thought Avensis's were bland but this new design yuck!

What do you folk think?

toyota-avensis-2009-img_5.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭ongarite

It doesn't matter what it looks like. Its the new Avensis so Toyota will sell loads of them.
    Seems to enough people think the same in the world as Toyota isn't short of making a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Have we seen the end of D4-D....the pic has a D-CAT badge on the car. I had assumed D-CAT was a system operating within D4-D engines no??

Personally I think it's a massive imporvement, though the grille-bumper fusion area seems unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Sorry Bee dont know what a tilda is but I cant see the Nissan Tiida in this either. :) I think its definetly an improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Bee wrote: »
    Yuck!What do you folk think?

I think I'll have a cup of coffee.

Oh, about the car? What was it called again?

Avensis, didn't Toyota have a car called Avensis before? I seem to remember...

No, it's gone, never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

There will be no Avensis hatchback, just a saloon and estate. The estate looks like an enlarged version of the Corolla Fielder estate which isnt available here.

• Advertisement

G Luxel wrote: »
    There will be no Avensis hatchback, just a saloon and estate. The estate looks like an enlarged version of the Corolla Fielder estate which isnt available here.
    They did that with the Carina 2 second Generation which was the Corona in Japan and bigger than the Japanese Carina.

On the no hatch issue....that won't go down well across the water...excellent:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

amazing how all the imported 2nd hand avensis models are all hatchbacks. People just want to get from a to b so bodystyle doesnt matter as long as the car goes. Maybe the 2nd hand market isnt as conservative as the New buying market. If the UK market doesnt take to the saloon, maybe they will buy Auris's in droves or maybe the Avensis estate will be a bigger seller than the saloon.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Looks like a Passat to me....

Will they still be removing extras like airbags etc to lower the VRT rate or is that day gone beacause of the new carbon based VRT?

"The car in front (blocking your way) is a toyota!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The current generation Avensis had 9 airbags as standard from the start, as does the new Corolla, Auris and Rav4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I smell a hint of Mazda 6, plus a smidgen of Jetta and Passat in the brew. An improvement on the old one (those hatchbacks are hideous). Still it is a Toyota *spontaneously vomits*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

barryfitz wrote: »
    Sorry Bee dont know what a tilda is but I cant see the Nissan Tiida in this either. :) I think its definetly an improvement.

An improvement on what? The Tiida I presume!

I thought it was awful until I seen this shot of the interior, the fake wood is so obnoxious I won't be able to eat my supper!

Toyota-Avensis_2009_photo_03.jpg

looks to be similar to the wood used in the Land Cruiser V8, which actually looks good in reality

toyota_land_cruiser_v8_interior.jpg

I'd say that's a range-topper and that effect won't be used much in the bread-and-butter models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd say that's a range-topper and that effect won't be used much in the bread-and-butter models.

You can bet your left leg that it'll only be the most expensive models that come with that, after all Toyota Ireland really go and overdo it with the extremely extensive list of standard equipment their cars have don't they:rolleyes:?

I can't wait to see what it looks like with steel wheels and an all black dash, after all that's Toyota are going to do when they bring in the car here, despite the rest of Europe pressing forward with a new and supposedly more upmarket car.

What's the betting that there'll be some sort of detuned diesel as well specially for Ireland:rolleyes:?

E92 wrote: »
    What's the betting that there'll be some sort of detuned diesel as well specially for Ireland:rolleyes:?

You mean just like the Santa Fe:confused::confused: God forbid:eek::eek: An extra second to 60...I might lose a few hours sleep:rolleyes:

Emissions based tax isn't exclusive to Ireland. Even if they keep the current 125bhp engine, it'll be a better entry level than the Passat or Mondeo.

E92, don't be under the illusion that Toyota's European and UK models get everything as standard. there are lower spec models available right through Europe, Irish people seem to buy them more than most countries. Look at BMW ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That interior shot looks very JDM spec to me.

Incidently I noticed a 06 2.0 litre petrol auto model for sale the other day. Nice spec on it but talk about sale proof.

bazz26 wrote: »
    That interior shot looks very JDM spec to me.

The Japanese prefer the steering wheel on the other side ;)

The Japanese prefer the steering wheel on the other side ;)

LOL, must be the air down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

It looks like the Avensis will have a new range of "Valematic" petrol engines.

Originally we were supposed to be getting the "Dual VVT-i" ZR-FE petrol engines, but instead it seems we are going to be upgraded to the more advanced ZR-FAE.

Valvematic is essentially the removal of the throttle butterfly.

You might think that this idea sounds somewhat familiar, and you'd be right, because it is Toyota's equivalent of BMW's Valvetronic, which saw the light of day as recently as 2001.

Pity Toyota looks like it is ditching direct injection from the Avensis line up, I hope the AZ-FSE didn't have any reliability problems the way Mitsubishi's GDI did(certainly I've never heard of any reliability issues with direct injection Toyoa petrols)

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73895&st=80&start=80

Judging by my link, it looks like the diesels will carry over unchanged, which is a slight pity as 126 bhp from a 2.0 diesel is seriously weedy looking in this day and age. Not that I'm complaining about the entry level engine offering 126 bhp, far from it in fact, it means that at last the Irish will be getting a decently powerful engine as standard, more I'm disappointed that the 2.0 isn't available in a higher state of tune.

Even 150 bhp from a 2.0 diesel is starting to look a little underpowered these days, when you see the amount of 2.0s that get to and even beyond 170 bhp.

I hope the 2.2 oil burner has improved its fuel consumption, it would be a major handicap if it is as uneconomical as it is in the current Avensis and Lexus IS220d.

A 1.6 NA petrol with 132 bhp is seriously impressive sounding, but I'm not sure I believe that when the 2.0 has only 20 ponies more, and when the 1.8 has only 5 ponies less than the 2.0.

A diesel auto is a very wise addition as well, though I think Toyota are developing a CVT as the auto box, which is a slight worry, then again others say it will be a proper 6 speed auto.

I know all models will have a 6 speed manual box as standard at least.

Since Toyota are trying to push this car as a more upmarket than the last one, will there be a larger petrol than the 2.0 as a sort of halo model?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

E92 wrote: »
    It looks like the Avensis will have a new range of "Valematic" petrol engines.

Originally we were supposed to be getting the "Dual VVT-i" ZR-FE petrol engines, but instead it seems we are going to be upgraded to the more advanced ZR-FAE.

Valvematic is essentially the removal of the throttle butterfly.

You might think that this idea sounds somewhat familiar, and you'd be right, because it is Toyota's equivalent of BMW's Valvetronic, which saw the light of day as recently as 2001.

Pity Toyota looks like it is ditching direct injection from the Avensis line up, I hope the AZ-FSE didn't have any reliability problems the way Mitsubishi's GDI did(certainly I've never heard of any reliability issues with direct injection Toyoa petrols)

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73895&st=80&start=80

Judging by my link, it looks like the diesels will carry over unchanged, which is a slight pity as 126 bhp from a 2.0 diesel is seriously weedy looking in this day and age. Not that I'm complaining about the entry level engine offering 126 bhp, far from it in fact, it means that at last the Irish will be getting a decently powerful engine as standard, more I'm disappointed that the 2.0 isn't available in a higher state of tune.

Even 150 bhp from a 2.0 diesel is starting to look a little underpowered these days, when you see the amount of 2.0s that get to and even beyond 170 bhp.

I hope the 2.2 oil burner has improved its fuel consumption, it would be a major handicap if it is as uneconomical as it is in the current Avensis and Lexus IS220d.

A 1.6 NA petrol with 132 bhp is seriously impressive sounding, but I'm not sure I believe that when the 2.0 has only 20 ponies more, and when the 1.8 has only 5 ponies less than the 2.0.

A diesel auto is a very wise addition as well, though I think Toyota are developing a CVT as the auto box, which is a slight worry, then again others say it will be a proper 6 speed auto.

I know all models will have a 6 speed manual box as standard at least.

Since Toyota are trying to push this car as a more upmarket than the last one, will there be a larger petrol than the 2.0 as a sort of halo model?

132 bhp doesnt sound too bad at all for a naturally aspirated 1.6 but i doubt if it'll be as economical as the 1.4tfsi available in the passat and superb.Ye know 132 bhp is quite a lot for a most basic petrol engine in a family car.Could we be seeing a paddy special, me wonders

And another thing, toyota say they want this to be more upmarket but i'm not sure this is what toyota ireland would want at all...

• Advertisement

There was talk before of a new 1.6 or 1.8 D-4D with 120/130bhp being in the pipe line. Maybe this will appear at some stage later and the old 2.0 D-4D is just a bridge gap until then?

I'd still take the old 2.0 D-4D over the old 1.9 TDI VAG unit any day.

Don't know about no issues. I know there were serious issues with VVTi engines in 1.8 guise around 00-01, a lot of which had to be replaced under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

The current generation Avensis had 9 airbags as standard from the start, as does the new Corolla, Auris and Rav4.

and Yaris

regedit wrote: »
    and Yaris

Yaris only has 5 standard, 9 in Luna and Sol IIRC

Advertisement