Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 15 too young for a tattoo

Options
  • 19-09-2008 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

I got a tattoo this year on holiday
    with my mums permission i was legaly allowed to get it
    it was carefully drawn and dessined y me
    but when i showed it to people when i was back home they were disscusted with my mum
    its a smallish shamrock on my shoulder and is quite plain
    what is right in your opinion:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Perhaps you should stop worrying about what other people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

18. 18. 18.

any respectable place will turn you down if you're under age. but considering you were on holidays..... tattoo places abroad are catalysts for under age, poorly made decisions.

IMO, most parents are against tattoos on their children, especially at your age. we're not the ones to judge her parenting but i can tell you i'd never let my child get tattooed until they were of age and had put plenty of thought into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭J Bourke

I got mine in portugal when i was 14. I was SO lucky that it was a nice tattoo (imo).. so just be careful and get a tattoo youl like for the rest of your life.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

too young? .........................yes. will, close it :D

bodys not finished growing. techincly doesnt stop grown til 22 or ther abouts. wait at least 18/19 thats what i did, i was like you in a sense, wanted a design since i was 14 but waited. finished the design with a tatto artist. not so much change it but changed it to fit my body type if ya know what i mean, ive got a V type back, it need to suit it or id look lob sided all the time :D hhaa

wait man. best advace i can give ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Gonna leave this open, as long as it doesn't turn into personal abuse againt the original poster or her parents

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

At 15 you're probably not even 100% sure you like broccoli, so how can you be sure you want to be permanently tattooed ?

Way too young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭tayto909

18 and without your mummys permission. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

iMax wrote: »
    At 15 you're probably not even 100% sure you like broccoli.

I'm 25 and love the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

So what's the tattoo? where is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Honestly? Yes, I think 15 is far too young, and I'll tell you why.

At that age people are far too influenced by their friends when I was about 15 I would of gotten many tattoos that I would of thought were cool, but the real reason behind it would of been because my friends thought they were cool. It's not until you really get out of the whole school thing and you're about 18 and 19 where you're mature enough to start making these types of decisions, I would still wait till 19 to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

At 15 yeah you're probably too young, the types of things you are into change all the time. If I was getting tattooed at 15 I there's a fair chance I could of had a Korn tattoo (dodged a bullet there!) but hey if you really like what you got and it wasnt just a "Ah I'm on holiday sure I'll get a tattoo as a souvenier" kind of thing, thats what really matters. My advice however would be to wait a couple of years for your next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

you would look like a knacker tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

ok x in the city, i asked nicely. Comments of that 'calibre' don't help one bit.

Consider this a warning, next time infraction and a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭xXxhotstuff xXx

i dont think its too young, if you like it and are happy with it who gives a sh*t what anyone else thinks.. one of my friends had 8 tattoos by 16 and nobody thinks anything of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭hattie-f

thanks u lot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I personally think it is, I got one when I was 15, regret it LOT now...alot!!! It means nothing, its just a (stupid) picture...I got it for the sake of getting it, just to say I had a tattoo.

Really friggin stupid. I will hopefully , get it lasered off. If not, a permanent reminder of what a fooking eeijit I was!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what other people think of your tattoo, as long as you like it that's the main thing.

Personally, I think 15 is a bit young to be getting a tattoo. I remember being 16 and begging my mum to let me get a tattoo. I had a design drawn up and everything, but she totally refused. Now, I'm so glad she didn't let me get it cos I know I'd hate it. Much as I wanted it then, it's definitely not what I'd want now. My main worry with someone getting a tattoo so young is that they'd get to 20, hate it, and have to spend a fortune either getting it lasered off or getting a cover-up done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 --pout--

I got some stupid tattoos when i was 14-16 and i regret them now, one i want lasererd off,just a picture out of a book!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭BOHS

I don't think 15 is to young as long as your not just getting your fav band at the time etc.. I got my first tattoo when I was 15 and don't regret it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Given how quickly your tastes and interests change at 15, I'd say it's not a very good idea. I'm glad I didn't get the kind of tattoos I thought were cool at 17 .

THats just me though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

i cringe when i look back at what i wanted for a tattoo back when i was 15. your interests change dramatically in a few years.i'd find it hard to say go for it, because out of friends experiences, they do regret not waiting till they're older.

plus, the kind of place who'll happily tattoo a 15 year old is probably not the kind of place you're going to want a tattoo from in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Sweenox

I think 15 is way too young,I know ya shouldn care wat ppl think of ur tattoos and all dat but wen I look at wat I wanted wen I was 15 Im glad I waited cus its ALOT different to what Im getting now dat Im older.Anyway ya hav it now so jus wait and den get totally covered in em wen ur older haha

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

As already said, ur body hasn't finished developing at 15, therefore ur shape will change, if the tat is small then body shape change hopefully won't effect it too much. Peep thought my Ma was mad letting me get a second and third earing at 9 and 12, she knew i'd do it anyway......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

my sister is 17 and went to bulgaria on holiday and came back with an awful nautical star on her foot,its awful.you should wait until youre 18 imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I think really its up to yourself as long as its not a 6 foot winnie the pooh down your arm.Its not as if you are going to wake up at 18 wise there is still a long way to go.You could get tattooed at 18/19 and by 35 youd hate it.By some peoples reasoning here your not old enough but ypu mightnt be old enough at 18/20/22 you get my reasoning.Im just pointing out everybody i know hates at least one of their tats including me but out of 12 thats not bad odds.And the people who say i wouldnt let my child get a tattoo forget what they were like and probably dont have children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Tannylan

Simple YES

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yep. You'll be a completley different person by 18 and different again by your mid twenties...

Granted, I'm speaking as a blank canvas at 28 but it took the birth of my daughter to make me certain about what I want. Now I've just got to find the artist I want and figure out how to pay for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭hattie-f

i cringe when i look back at what i wanted for a tattoo back when i was 15. your interests change dramatically in a few years.i'd find it hard to say go for it, because out of friends experiences, they do regret not waiting till they're older.

plus, the kind of place who'll happily tattoo a 15 year old is probably not the kind of place you're going to want a tattoo from in years to come.
    The place that i got the tatto was a realy good place with high standards when it came to their art and it was REALY clean

Advertisement