Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anglo takeover of inbs

• 19-09-2008 9:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭

If the reported rte takeover of inbs by anglo goes ahead will the inbs shareholders finally recieve their windfall payment which they have been waiting donkeys years for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭homer911

Surely a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

ranger4 wrote: »
    If the reported rte takeover of inbs by anglo goes ahead QUOTE]

Has the takeover been confirmed yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

No offical word on it, and if it happens Anglo will be picking IN up for peanuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭ranger4

dunkamania wrote: »
    No offical word on it, and if it happens Anglo will be picking IN up for peanuts

So if it does go ahead will the inbs customers which have share a/c qualify for the long awaited windfall, I asked this question 2 times on askaboutmoney.com and got a life ban for it, seems the administrator over there doesnt like people to ask questions about their savings on his site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

I don't really see the logic in this; one commercial property lending shop (quoted) takes over an unquoted one

you still have two loan books that are a pile of steaming poo to put it politely

no doubt some of our leading analysts will enlighten me with their press releases later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

yeah but it will be much smaller than what was originally estimated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

another question for the idiots in here , if anglo take over irish nationwide , will those who have savings in irish nationwide simply have thier savings transfered to anglo irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bigboots

Lets face it, they are only a bunch of Bankers. Anything they are doing at the moment is simply an attempt to save their own skins. If you have ever tried to deal with them at a business level you would understand. I'm self employed and love working my 80 to 90 hours a week, I completely understand my business and plan for good as well as bad times. This shower have spent the last 10 years playing golf on the backs of their hard working customers and its all just coming home to roust! So when these bunch of Bankers talk of the global credit crises and what it has done to them, remember, their only a bunch of bankers who know nothing of their own business and if I were you I would put my money in the Post Office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

From what RTE were saying at lunchtime if (big if) the deal were to go through then there would be a payment to the shareholders of INBS (i.e. those with Share accounts). However as the value of INBS has fallen a lot in recent times it will not be the 10-15K previously mentioned or anywhere near it.

Also if Anglo are interested them and there is any sign of a sale then at least one other buyer will come out of the woodwork

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

This is a crazy deal for IN customers. Win - Win for Anglo though as they get access to all them sucker depositors banking on a windfall payout with their 20K plus accounts to shore up their dodgy balance sheet.

Anglo Irish Bank is a 2 trick pony:

- Irish commercial property
    - English commercial property

Take a drive around Ireland and you will see every city, small town, new bypass road and cross road with bundles of empty commercial property / office space for rent & lease with no hope of a tenant or sale.

As regards England they are arguable in a worse position with commercial property oversupply plus all their high street retail giants closing branches and renegotiating their rents downward.

Now they (Anglo Irish Bank) are going to get their greasy paws on all the safe savings in IN. Sort this merger quickly and cook their books before the next AGM showing a healthy balance sheet to placate restless shareholders and credit rating agencies.

The only fools here are the IN depositors who will get pittance for their investment, make no doubt the IN CEO, board and chairman will be well rewarded for their silent compliance.

Only hope here is for the grass roots to get restless and revolt by withdrawing their deposits and venting their anger as loudly as possible in public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Anyone here who believes there is a "windfall" in store for shareholders of a bank when being taken over in the current climate must be living under a rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

I agree a "windfall" unlikely. However this was a lot of depositors motives when banking with IN originally. IN is a small sleepy bank that does not need to rush into a bad deal merger unless we do not have the full picture? And certainly not with Anglo Irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

kenco wrote: »

Also if Anglo are interested them and there is any sign of a sale then at least one other buyer will come out of the woodwork

You are 100% wrong here, there is no competition for buying assets at the moment, look at all the deals done in the last couple of months.

The rational for the deal is a strong deposit base, plus cheaper funding costs due to Anglos relative strength

However this was a lot of depositors motives when banking with IN originally.
    Unfortunately that will count for zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭ranger4

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Unfortunately that will count for zero.

yep, customer getting the **** end of the stick as usual.

ranger4 wrote: »
    yep, customer getting the **** end of the stick as usual.
    Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

bigboots wrote: »
    Lets face it, they are only a bunch of Bankers. Anything they are doing at the moment is simply an attempt to save their own skins. If you have ever tried to deal with them at a business level you would understand. I'm self employed and love working my 80 to 90 hours a week, I completely understand my business and plan for good as well as bad times. This shower have spent the last 10 years playing golf on the backs of their hard working customers and its all just coming home to roust! So when these bunch of Bankers talk of the global credit crises and what it has done to them, remember, their only a bunch of bankers who know nothing of their own business and if I were you I would put my money in the Post Office.

Wow. Can I subscribe to your newsletter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

dunkamania wrote: »
    You are 100% wrong here, there is no competition for buying assets at the moment, look at all the deals done in the last couple of months.

The rational for the deal is a strong deposit base, plus cheaper funding costs due to Anglos relative strength

Maybe, just a thought on my part but wait and see what happens

Advertisement