Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J-Visa for the USA!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Does anyone know if the date of your visa (i.e. day 1 of 365) starts when you receive the visa, or when you step foot in the US?

Probably a sill question, sorry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Date of landing.

There will be a date by which you must arrive by and it runs for 365 days from the date of arrival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Yes and no.

You need to obtain sponsorship papers from the US, that is what USIT charge for. If you can get those papers yourself then you can deal with the embassy yourself.

Without those papers you cannot apply to the embassy for the visa. The embassy does not care if you get those papers yourself.

Thats interesting, ive asked this question here before and was told, (almost insultingly lol) that USIT or a similiar place are the only way to get the papers.

Has anyone know gone about getting them directly or know the process how to do it?

Do you know anyone that did the J1 last year?
    Get a look at the pink sheet of paper with the visa, the company is on there.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Date of landing.

There will be a date by which you must arrive by and it runs for 365 days from the date of arrival.

Thank you.

This "date by which you must arrive by", do you know roughly how long this normally is? For example, is it one month after the date your visa is approved?

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Usually it is one year from date of issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

(But I'm pretty sure you need to arrive in the US within 12 months of graduation anyway).

Cliona99 wrote: »
    (But I'm pretty sure you need to arrive in the US within 12 months of graduation anyway).

Hey Cliona.

Did you see this post of mine?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59554940&postcount=269

Thanks, I didn't see that post. And I don't really know how this stuff works but I'm going to try and do the quotey thing. Bear with me. :confused:

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Yeah, I reckon I'll stay in NY. I have friends there and I reckon I'll love it. My degree/masters is in computer science, so I have to do some sort of computing job. I'd take anything really, as long as it's paid! (I'm genuinely concerned I won't be able to find a paid position, i.e. terrible economy and "internship" visa...)

What about you - what's your qualification? Have you started looking for work yet?!

The only time I've been to New York, embarrassingly, was on a seven hour layover in JFK. Saw nothing but the airport. (Expensive too, $10 for cigarettes!?!) But yeah, friends there is enough motivation for anyone. That's why I'm going to Texas! :)

I'm worried about finding work too. Unpaid internship wouldn't really do it for me. I've a BA in English and Philosophy- in a perfect world I'd get a job teaching English as a foreign language because I did a month long tefl course and planned to go to Spain but then this visa came along and I really really want to go to the States. Recession or no recession. I'm also hoping, (against all evidence to the contrary), that the economy will recover sooner rather than later and that I won't get deported for not being able to find a job.

I have started looking for work already but it's not looking good. I'm hoping that things will have changed by mid-June. If I can't teach English, I'll look for anything and try to relate it to my degree in any way possible. Sorry for waffling on and on. When are you going to apply?

Thanks for the reply Cliona. It wasn't waffle, don't worry. :)

I'm going to apply in mid-June I reckon. As I want to arrive by boat (I've discovered you can also travel on a cargo ship; I think that'd be such an adventure) it makes my travel arrangements a bit more complicated.

I'm thinking I will try to have the visa by the end of July, and then leave Ireland near the end of August. I may delay everything for another month though, i.e. apply for the visa in July and leave Ireland in September.

So I have a few issues -

1. Get the visa close enough to my sailing.
    2. Find a sailing which is guaranteed to leave close to a certain date. (I know I could just go on the QM2 which is a cruise ship, but I think that's about twice the price of a cargo ship, and I sort of like the craziness of going on a cargo ship.)
    3. Find a job!

I'm going to start looking for a job today. I worked in the recruitment industry for a few years so I'm pretty sure I'm just wasting my time - employers aren't too interested in people in foreign countries who won't be arriving for a few months! But I'm going to try anyway.

My tactic is to write a really good cover letter and to contact small IT companies who might be happy to get an experienced, educated software tester on the cheap.

I am a bit worried though. Let's say I can't find a job when I go over. What will happen to me? I reckon I have just about enough savings to survive the year unemployed (I'd have to budget though, but I think I could do it.) I also have a bit of revenue from the websites in my signature, but not enough to live on.

I am concerned about getting deported though. It's called a "travel and work" visa. If I can't find a job, could I argue I am going to travel for the 12 months? Or is there a cut off period where they say enough is enough and kick you out of the country?! So many unknowns!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Cliona. It wasn't waffle, don't worry. :)

I'm going to apply in mid-June I reckon. As I want to arrive by boat (I've discovered you can also travel on a cargo ship; I think that'd be such an adventure) it makes my travel arrangements a bit more complicated.

I'm thinking I will try to have the visa by the end of July, and then leave Ireland near the end of August. I may delay everything for another month though, i.e. apply for the visa in July and leave Ireland in September.

So I have a few issues -

1. Get the visa close enough to my sailing.
    2. Find a sailing which is guaranteed to leave close to a certain date. (I know I could just go on the QM2 which is a cruise ship, but I think that's about twice the price of a cargo ship, and I sort of like the craziness of going on a cargo ship.)
    3. Find a job!

I'm going to start looking for a job today. I worked in the recruitment industry for a few years so I'm pretty sure I'm just wasting my time - employers aren't too interested in people in foreign countries who won't be arriving for a few months! But I'm going to try anyway.

My tactic is to write a really good cover letter and to contact small IT companies who might be happy to get an experienced, educated software tester on the cheap.

I am a bit worried though. Let's say I can't find a job when I go over. What will happen to me? I reckon I have just about enough savings to survive the year unemployed (I'd have to budget though, but I think I could do it.) I also have a bit of revenue from the websites in my signature, but not enough to live on.

I am concerned about getting deported though. It's called a "travel and work" visa. If I can't find a job, could I argue I am going to travel for the 12 months? Or is there a cut off period where they say enough is enough and kick you out of the country?! So many unknowns!
    i would'nt worry about it. theres plenty of people over there who aren't supposed to be!theres even something like 1,000,000 illegal border crossings per day from Mexico

Stainluss, being there illegally might be tempting until you realise that they'll deport you and then bar you for 5-10 years if you get caught. I have friends there who I would hate not to see for ten years. Plus, you can't get a driver's license, your choice of jobs is severely limited, and you can't leave and come back without a whole lot of stress/risk.

Aarrrgh, I think this visa depends on you being employed, (paid or unpaid). And if you can't find a job within a couple of months, they'll kick you out. But then, maybe if you could survive on just your savings you could find an unpaid internship, for a couple of hours a week just to keep the visa people happy. But I don't know. I'm hoping if you actually sign up for this they send you a big book of rules so that it all becomes clear before you leave the country...

As for cargo ships, the plane-phobic friend I mentioned earlier wanted to do that. Turned out to have waiting lists of years because each only carries a couple of passengers. But maybe you'll get lucky or things may have changed since she was going, who knows.

I'm going to apply as soon as my new passport arrives. I'm getting very nervous, but I'll relax once all the forms are filled in and it's out of my hands and just up to the visa people to decide either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Hey all, hope your visa preparations are coming along well. I've decided to hold off for now.... too many restrictions and unknowns for the moment!
    Cliona99 wrote: »
    Aarrrgh, I think this visa depends on you being employed, (paid or unpaid). And if you can't find a job within a couple of months, they'll kick you out. But then, maybe if you could survive on just your savings you could find an unpaid internship, for a couple of hours a week just to keep the visa people happy. But I don't know. I'm hoping if you actually sign up for this they send you a big book of rules so that it all becomes clear before you leave the country...

When I was doing some research I noticed this in the details about the new visa:
    Citizens of Ireland traveling to the United States to participate in the IWT Pilot Program will do so under the Department’s existing Intern category regulations (22 CFR 62.22), and applicable sponsor program rules, with the exception of participant placement.

See here: http://dublin.usembassy.gov/general/twelve-month-intern-work-and-travel-pilot-program.html

If the rules for the new visa are the same as the current intern program (bar having a job before you get there) then unfortunately you have to be working a minimum of 32 hours a week. The rules for the current intern program are here: http://www.thefederalregister.com/d.p/2007-06-19-E7-11703
    (iii) Ensure that training and internship programs provide a balance between the trainees' and interns' learning opportunities and their contributions to the organizations in which they are placed; (iv) Ensure that the training and internship programs are fulltime (minimum of 32 hours a week)

At one point I was hoping to get a 10-15 hour a week internship (paid or unpaid) and then work in a restaurant/bar in the evenings but I don't think that's possible...... :(

Arcee, scary but helpful, so thanks.

My new passport just arrived, and I got a 'certified copy' of my degree during the week. Have everything I need now, (and I just spent an hour doing sums trying to work out if I could definitely afford it, but I think I can!), so I'm going to apply for this visa...wish me luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

Best of luck Cliona!

Has anyone sent their $100 dollars to IIC by registered letter? I sent mine last Monday and they said they haven't got it... but I tracked it online and it said it was delivered :confused::rolleyes::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Thanks Wuggectumondo, did they find your deposit yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Im finishing up my degree in the next few weeks but obviously have no diploma yet... will this affect my chances of getting the visa?

Nope, because current students can apply too. You just need a letter from your college saying that you're a student, (and probably what course you're doing and when you'll graduate and stuff).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

I sent mine last Monday and they said they haven't got it... but I tracked it online and it said it was delivered :confused::rolleyes::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

best ask the post office, mate.
    i think they would have to pay you if it got lost because its registered?

• Advertisement

Anyone else given up on this?

I've been thinking about it a lot, and from talking to my friends in the US, it seems it will be near impossible to get a job.

So realistically I won't find a job there, will use up my savings, and will return jobless to Ireland!

I reckon I will do another masters instead so I have the option to do it again in a year or two...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 grapefruitmoon

It seems to be full of pit-falls alright :-/
    I'm with you AARRRGH. MA in International Relations in Sept (fingers crossed), apply while studying and get the flock out as soon as I finish..!
    California: 2010!
    Things will probably have settled down a little bit by then too.
    So not giving up; putting the idea on hold.
    (Hopefully this won't have soared in popularity by this time next year rendering us unable to get the visa though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DroghedaColeen

Hey,

I went to the States on the J1 visa for a few summers in college, now I'm living in NYC with the new 1 yr J visa. I dont have a job and nobody's bothering me about it. J1 is such a laugh, I read a few funny stories that remind me of my times here. Best country in the world....
    http://www.irishcentral.com/travel/Tales-from-the-dark-side-Life-on-a-J1-visa-.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Hey Coleen, any chance you could explain just how you got your J Visa? And any more details about how strict they are with making sure you have a job related to your degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DroghedaColeen

Sure, it's very easy. You literally go on the embassy website, fill out the forms, pay about $1000 and get USIT to sponsor you. No they arent strict about having a job, they understand you may not get one. Defo do it, before your time runs out! Here's the link http://dublin.usembassy.gov/general/twelve-month-intern-work-and-travel-pilot-program.html

Wow, so all that stuff about having immigration guys checking up on you every month or so to make sure you have a job and that its related to your degree isnt true? Maybe I should apply after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jojo75

Heys guys,

Just doing some research an work and travel insurance and here's an interesting link I found, http://www.migrantproject.ie/documents/New12MonthWorkandTravelVisatoUSA-CMPApril2009.pdf. Top of page 3 compares prices for this new visa, quite a bit of difference in the cost of each company.

On another note if I apply through the Irish Immigration Centre I have to get my own insurance, anyone know of any companies which do work and travel insyrance?

Hey Jojo,

The IIC recommend Gateway Connexions (gatewayconnexions.com). They meet the State Dept's requirements for insurance. Go to the above site, click on 'business or sponsored travel', then choose 'gateway usa'. Enter your details and you should get a quote for about fifty dollars a month. As far as I can figure it's worst case scenario coverage only. Not much use for day to day stuff. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 clarebearstare

Hi everyone

Its been a while since I posted so thought I'd update everyone. Arrived just over a month ago in San Francisco, was really persistent with the job hunt for around 10 days and got lucky with an internship. However, the IIC haven't been hounding me about getting a job so they're pretty laid back probably because they know its tough. Also on the insurance front I got it through blue insurance online, the basic backpacker plan for 200 euro and the IIC checked it over and said it meets the requirements so this'll save you a few hundred on the gateway connections plan!

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Congrats on the internship! Another quick question though; just how much dealings do you have with IIC, do you actually have to check in often, or is it more a case of them signing off once you get there and leaving you to it?

Advertisement