Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J-Visa for the USA!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

So drei, there are several things to note with this visa:

1. As long as the job/internship has some relevance to your education and you can write up a good placement plan you will be fine.

2. You don't have to specify to the company that it is an internship visa, you can always say its an exchange 1 year visa which allows you to work in the US in your field (as that is exactly what it is). You're correct, the term 'internship' tends to have people believe that they can pay little to nothing here. At the same time, don't expect to get paid a high rate. When I first started my internship I was paid peanuts, but the money is not the reason I moved here and it shouldn't be for you.

3. The J1 is classed as a non-immigrant visa. This means that people who take this visa (or any other non-immigrant visas) are expected not to stay long term/immigrate. Therefore, if they have reason to believe that you're intentions on this visa are, in the future, to immigrate (whether illegally or legally) they can deny you the visa. Because of this, you should show proof/ties to keep you in Ireland after the J1 visa.

4. Transferring from the J1 visa to the H1B visa is the very same as applying for the H1B visa straight. Make sure, if this happens, that your employer understands the process, there is about 1/2 months preparation required (paperwork, job adverts etc) and about $4000 in fees.

I hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 drei

Thanks lil_lisa, information is very useful and has cleared up a lot of issues i had with applying for this visa.

The one thing holding me back from applying now though is the fact that an employer could use the "internship" nature of this visa to under pay even if a candidate had the necessary skills/experience to operate at a higher level than a typical intern. I know that the usual route people take who are in a similar position to myself is to get an employer to sponsor them straight away (i think this is the HB1 you mentioned).

However, i am in the fortunate position that i am still eligible for the IWT 1 year internship visa and by my reckoning this visa makes me a more attractive candidate for a company as they do not have the hassle of sponsoring someone, there is less red tape involved for them to hire me than others, and this visa makes it easier for me to find a suitable position. On the other hand, if an employer did underpay, i would have not only wasted the cash on paying for the visa (which is non-refundable) but i would have given up my current job which is well paid and i am gaining experience in the right area. I suppose there will always be the risk of leaving a good job but i am just trying to get a real understanidng of what i am getting myself into before i go ahead. Hopefully you can see where i am coming from with this...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Corrimbla

Hi folks,
    I’m going on the 12 month IWT visa with the Irish Immigration Centre and am looking for advice on getting travel/health insurance.
    As the IIC lets you get your own travel insurance I was wondering which company to go through. VHI, backpacker travel insurance.ie or gateway plans? Has anybody taken out one of these policies and if so would you recommend/avoid a certain package/company?confused.gif
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

cant give you much advice accept to say that vhi wont cover you if you are out of the country that long and im not sure any company will give you 'travel' insurance for that you will probably have to go with full blown health insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Corrimbla wrote: »
    As the IIC lets you get your own travel insurance I was wondering which company to go through. VHI, backpacker travel insurance.ie or gateway plans? Has anybody taken out one of these policies and if so would you recommend/avoid a certain package/company?confused.gif

I would recommend paying a little extra to get over and above the minimum coverage, any kind of treatment in the US is going to be expensive (pay special attention to what the excess is on the policies, it could be $500 or more).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Corrimbla

Cheers for the advise people. I went a policy offered by this Irish company https://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/. The IIC in Boston has approved that it fulfils the US State department requirements so Im happy out. I took your advise lonestargirl about the better cover and went for their "premier Plus" policy which is the best one on offer. It still worked out cheap enough at €220 for 13 months cover so that’s grand!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DGM

Alright guys,

I'm filling out the DS-160 form at the moment. Very irritating form to fill out, anyway... I have two questions:

1] Passport book number. As far as I'm aware, we don't have them here in Ireland. An E.U. website [not 100% reliable] said it's the same as the passport number so I have it down as that at the moment. Is that right?

2] Photo. It requires you to upload a photo, but says if you have trouble doing this, or do not own a digital camera, you can buy the photos in a pharmacy instead. All well and good, but on the DS-160 form when I click "next" at this stage [I.e. to skip it] it won't let leave me. Anybody here experience this before?

Also going with the IIC myself for what it's worth. I've found them pretty good so far. Just hope I get the visa approved next week. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

Hi,

Just wondering anyone going to Boston this Summer? Thinking of going but wondering what its like for jobs? Also could anyone tell me how much would I need for 10 weeks approx if I didn't get a job?

Cheers,

SF

• Registered Users Posts: 29 choppermann

superfrank wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering anyone going to Boston this Summer? Thinking of going but wondering what its like for jobs? Also could anyone tell me how much would I need for 10 weeks approx if I didn't get a job?

Cheers,

SF

Head down to cape cod , there is going to be a shortage of service workers this coming season especially on the outer cape.
    Last season was the busiest one in a long time and this season's rentals are ahead of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DGM

Has anyone ever been asked at the Embassy interview to show proof that you have applied for job in the U.S?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 MEJ

DGM wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been asked at the Embassy interview to show proof that you have applied for job in the U.S?

No, the embassy 'interview' is pretty straight forward. They will ask where you're going and why, what you did in college and what type of job you're going to look for. I don't think they even bother to look at your financial statement that you're required to bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ForceOfNature

Hi folks,

I am planning to apply for the 12 month J1 in the coming weeks.

I was initially going to go to new york and apply through USIT.
    I have now become aware of going through the II center in boston, and they can have a job lined up for you - does anyone here have any experience of this??

I would prefer to go to NY but if i was guaranteed a job in boston that would be hard to turn down

Does anyone here know what the job situation is in NY (i am in the IT sector)

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭podgie.

Hello everyone,

I thinking about applying for the 12month visa, I have read all the thread and I have a few questions.

I currently studying accountancy and finance, I want to, go to states for a year or two before taking on my professional accountancy exams after finishing college. I was looking on the USIT website and I noticed that for an accountant, who has started to take their professional exams cannot go to US until they have finished them, even though it the same professional body in both US and Ireland.

Anyway seen I’m not taking my professional exams till I return back to Ireland, am I eligible to go or is this just a requirement by USIT as I could not find any information, on any other visa website's about this but for other professions.

Does each companies have didn't requirements for different professions,

My second question is about getting the second, J1 12 month visa. I read that you have to wait two years before applying in parts of this thread and in other parts that you can do it back to back once you return to Ireland for 90days.

Could someone clear this up for me?

Thank You

Podgie

I'm not sure about the accountancy, but about the two year home rule, it only applies to certain fields of study and where you work (e.g government). You can find more here.

There is no rule set by The US Embassy to say you must stay in Ireland for 90 days between visas. This rule was set up only by USIT (and maybe some other J1 companies). As long as you are still eligible, you can take two J visas back to back. Have a look at this thread for more info on the J1.

Thanks Lisa,

Is there any site or person, I could find out if I need to have sat my professional exams before going,,?

These are the official requirements on the US Embassy website:
    • Be a citizen of Ireland.
    • Be a bona fide post-secondary college/university student (enrolled and participating) or a recent graduate. A recent graduate is defined as an Irish citizen who has graduated from a post-secondary college/university in their home country not more than 12 months prior to the start of their internship beyond graduation. The applicant must provide evidence from his/her post-secondary institution of student status or graduation.
    • Vocational students pursuing studies at a tertiary level accredited academic institution are not eligible for participation unless such vocational study is part of a structured program leading to a degree or other credential recognized as equivalent to Level VI of the Irish Higher Education System.
    • Provide proof of sufficient financial resources, prior to the issuance of a Form DS-2019, to support themselves throughout their exchange visitor program and for their return home.
    • Not be accompanied by spouse or dependents.

It is a bit of grey area. You're not a student anymore, however you're not guaranteed to be graduating. If you're still seen as a student before taking your exams then you should be fine. All you need is a letter from you college stating that you're enrolled on such a course that leads to a degree. Hope this helps.

I be graduated from college with a degree in accoutancy, but after college ya have to sit 2 sets of exams to be qualifed in accountancy but ya can still work as a accountant trainee without them, these exams are not part of college.

If going by requirements listed by embassy I have no problem getting a visa, thanks lisa, I say it just a requirement by USIT,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Porkbomb

Hi Guys, great thread.

My situation is that I have been going out with an American for nearly 5.5 years. She was studying over here for 5 years and when her student visa ran out we were able to get her a de facto visa here based on our relationship. However, she has not been able to get much work here and has now decided to move back to the States in May/June. Washington DC to be exact. I want to keep the relationship going so want to move over also and so am looking at the options available to me. It's all quite complicated and confusing!

I have a Degree in Computer Science and a Post Graduate Diploma in Business. I have been working for over 5 years as a pensions administrator and recently graduated as a Qualified Financial Advisor in November.

The options I am looking and wondering about are as follows:

1) Is there any way to get a visa based on our relationship? From what I know its only if we are married or if we are engaged and get married within 90 days of moving over but just double checking if anyone knows otherwise? Not thinking of getting married just yet!

2) Getting a Company to sponsor me for a H1B before I leave. Is this very difficult. I'm not sure if I have the qualifications where companies are willing to sponsor me? I heard that it would cost the company around $5,000.

3) Do I qualify for the 1 year J1 internship visa considering I recently graduated as a QFA? The course is affiliated with UCD so does this qualify me?

4) I was also looking at the 18 month US Career Training Visa with Go4less. http://www.go4less.ie/usa-work-visa/career-training-visa-cost.asp I think I qualify for this as I have 5 years working experience. Go4less also say that they can place you in a job in the states for an extra cost. I think this may be my best option as I would be guaranteed a job over there. Has anyone done this with Go4less? At the end could I then get sponsored for the H1B visa or could I apply for a green card on this?

5) Another option I heard is to get a 6 month visitors visa from the US Embassy and then apply for jobs when I'm there and try getting a company to sponsor me for the H1B visa and change my status. Supposedly it is considerably easier to get sponsored if you are in the states.

I have also applied for the Diversity lottery but am not too confident of getting that.

Any help/advice on the above or if anyone knows any other ways I could get over would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ForceOfNature

just wondering does anybody here know what the situation is with driving while on the 12 month j1 ?? can you legally obtain a driving license?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Driving licences are issued on a state-by-state basis and they all have their own rules. Here in Texas your legal status must have 6 months or more left on it to get a licence and the licence you get expires upon your status expiry.

• Advertisement

Porkbomb wrote: »
    I have a Degree in Computer Science and a Post Graduate Diploma in Business. I have been working for over 5 years as a pensions administrator and recently graduated as a Qualified Financial Advisor in November.

What did you graduate with? A degree or post degree?
    1) Is there any way to get a visa based on our relationship? From what I know its only if we are married or if we are engaged and get married within 90 days of moving over but just double checking if anyone knows otherwise? Not thinking of getting married just yet!

This is correct, afaik, relationship wise, there are no other options.
    2) Getting a Company to sponsor me for a H1B before I leave. Is this very difficult. I'm not sure if I have the qualifications where companies are willing to sponsor me? I heard that it would cost the company around $5,000.

With the current economic situation, obtaining a H1B visa through a company is almost impossible. A lot of companies just aren't willing to consider it.

I would however look to see if the company you're currently working with have any branches in the US and try go that path.
    3) Do I qualify for the 1 year J1 internship visa considering I recently graduated as a QFA? The course is affiliated with UCD so does this qualify me?

It depends on the type of qualification you've received.
    4) I was also looking at the 18 month US Career Training Visa with Go4less. http://www.go4less.ie/usa-work-visa/career-training-visa-cost.asp I think I qualify for this as I have 5 years working experience. Go4less also say that they can place you in a job in the states for an extra cost. I think this may be my best option as I would be guaranteed a job over there. Has anyone done this with Go4less? At the end could I then get sponsored for the H1B visa or could I apply for a green card on this?

Have a quick look at this thread for some more on the 18 month Training visa. If the company is willing, you can transfer from a J to a H1B visa. However, keep in mind that you will be denied a visa if you show intention to immigrate through a non-immigrant visa (J = non-immigrant visa).
    5) Another option I heard is to get a 6 month visitors visa from the US Embassy and then apply for jobs when I'm there and try getting a company to sponsor me for the H1B visa and change my status. Supposedly it is considerably easier to get sponsored if you are in the states.

The Visa Waiver Program only gives you 90 days. Keep in mind that it is strictly illegal to work whilst on this in the US and, like the J-1, you will be denied it if you show intention to use it as a means for immigration.

Hope this answers some questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 missKawaii

lil_lisa wrote: »
    In most colleges, you finish the college year usually in May, meaning you can go on the year long J-1 straight away in May or June. Graduation usually happens in November (again depending on the college).

So, lets say you go in May or June of 2010, you graduate in November 2010 and come back from your J-1 in May or June 2011. You still have roughly 5/6 months before the 1 year from graduation is up which means you have 5/6 months to take up another one.

Does this make sense?

hi, & apologies if i have missed someone already asking about this but...
    @ lil_lisa, or anyone else in the know:
    can this in fact be done?? 2 iwt 12 month visas back to back, with a short period of hometime in between? i cant imagine the interviewer at the embassy believing that you dont intend to immigrate if you apply to do a second one straight after the first. or maybe you could convince them that you already found a job you want to go back over for? i cant seem to find information regrading the number of times a candidate may get this visa... can anyone shed some light?

missKawaii, from my experience it is possible. I actually overlapped two visas and had a job before going over. I think the fact that you have been on one, came home and are paying for another one and doing everything by the books is a good sign, i.e. if you were intending to illegally immigrate, you would have done it by now.

I'm not sure, however, what it is like going on the IWT and not having a job before going.

missKawaii, from my experience it is possible. I actually overlapped two visas and had a job before going over. I think the fact that you have been on one, came home and are paying for another one and doing everything by the books is a good sign, i.e. if you were intending to illegally immigrate, you would have done it by now..

i emailed usit about this & received the following useful information from them...

There is no cap on the amount of times you can travel to the USA on the 12 Month USA Programme. However, in order to be able to take part in the programme, you must be eligible each time you apply, and you cannot enter the USA until at least 90 days pass between the end of one visa and the start of another.

We judge eligibility by the date that appears on your graduation certificate. This sometimes differs to the date of your actual graduation ceremony, so you would need to see what the date on your graduation cert is. If your 12 month cut off period occurs during your programme, you may not cut your visa short to apply for the programme again.

Furthermore, if you take part on the programme and do not find any work while in the USA, you may not be able to apply for the programme again due to the programme regulations. If you do find a position for at least half of your time in the USA, you may apply for the programme again considering that you would meet all other eligibility requirements.

@ lil_lisa: thanks for your reply! interesting that you managed to back to back your visas, i had never even considered this before. were you resident in ireland for 90 days between the 2? i wonder if it would be possible to be in another country for these 90 days or if it specifically has to be your home country?

also - interesting usit say in order to be considered for another visa, you must have been employed for 6 months or more of the 12 months... i have been in touch the irish international immigrant center & they say that if you do not find work within 90 days of arriving in the states you must return home. @ anyone who has gone with usit or go4less, do they have similar restrictions like this?

This 90 day rule is not required by the government for this visa. It is enforced by the visa companies only, and not all of course. I spent three/four weeks in Ireland between two visas.

AFAIK, sayit don't expect this, but I could be wrong.

oo, that is good to know! out of interest did you go with sayit yeah?
    i actually rang them a couple of months ago & the guy i spoke to said that they've stopped offering the 12 month visa because there was a low success rate of candidates finding work...
    but looking at their website now it seems that they are in fact still offering the programme. & they are by far the most expensive out of the 3 other companies i've been looking at [namely: the iiic, go4less & usit]

Sayit have stopped offering the IWT visa but still offer the training and internship visa. For these, you must have a job before going.

I went with Sayit for my first visa and Intrax for my second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Sayit have stopped offering the IWT visa but still offer the training and internship visa. For these, you must have a job before going.

I went with Sayit for my first visa and Intrax for my second.

Hey, I am planning on doing the 1 year J visa this summer as I am finishing college and I intend to book it through the Boston Irish center. I don't actually need to have some 'career related' job lined up do I? My friends are on this visa (booked through Sayit I think) and did not get jobs until they were there about 6 weeks or so. Their jobs are not career related and they have had no problems.

It depends on which visa you take, although they are all basically the same thing. The IWT visa allows you to travel over without a job prepared while the internship and training visa require a job.

Have a read of this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

It depends on which visa you take, although they are all basically the same thing. The IWT visa allows you to travel over without a job prepared while the internship and training visa require a job.

Have a read of this thread.

Oh ok thanks Lisa I forgot there were actually two different visas for this. So obviously I want to go on the IWT visa as I do not have anything lined up before I go. Is the IWT around the same price & can it be got through the Boston center?

Advertisement