Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J-Visa for the USA!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

I think they're gonna be flexible. As much as I respect some comments in this thread, I disagree with some and await further information about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Colmfatcamp

Kanney wrote: »
    I think they're gonna be flexible.

There is absolutely nothing flexible about United States immigration laws these days. By all means apply and hope that you will get in mate, but prepare to be disappointed because there's absolutely nothing to suggest that you will make it in on this visa unless you meet the criteria which was spelled out earlier. I'm sure we'll find out over the course of the next couple of months exactly what the story will be, but ultimately it's not good I think.

This visa is a joke in my opinion. It is good that it offers tradespersons and post-leaving cert students the opportunity to get a taste, but otherwise it might as well be a needless extension of the J1 visa and I will be surprised if it gets the take up of the 20,000 visas per year. I am absolutely gutted as it all sounded so promising from initial reports.

CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

There is absolutely nothing flexible about United States immigration laws these days. By all means apply and hope that you will get in mate, but prepare to be disappointed because there's absolutely nothing to suggest that you will make it in on this visa unless you meet the criteria which was spelled out earlier. I'm sure we'll find out over the course of the next couple of months exactly what the story will be, but ultimately it's not good I think.

This visa is a joke in my opinion. It is good that it offers tradespersons and post-leaving cert students the opportunity to get a taste, but otherwise it might as well be a needless extension of the J1 visa and I will be surprised if it gets the take up of the 20,000 visas per year. I am absolutely gutted as it all sounded so promising from initial reports.

CC

Thats it in a nutshell. Anyone who thinks visa application to the states can be in anyway 'flexible' is deluded...I've written this visa off now aswell. Will still apply just to see what the rejection letter says...Very disappointed to say the least after the initial optimism. Ah well...looks like it'll have to be done the hard way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

A little bit more information here saying there is no age restriction but you have to be enrolled in some sort of post-secondary level course or 'recently' (I presume 12 months) qualified...

http://www.irishabroad.com/news/irish-voice/news/Articles/pilot-visa-deal240908.aspx

U.S.-Irish Agree Pilot Visa Deal
    September 25, 2008

By Debbie McGoldrick

IN an effort to encourage young Irish people to live and work in the U.S. on a temporary basis, the Irish and U.S. governments have reached a deal to initiate a new pilot visa program that will allow for up to 20,000 Irish citizens to legally reside here for a period of one year.

Details about the new program, which is expected to commence early in 2009, will be finalized this week in Washington, D.C. Irish Minister for Foreign Affairs Micheal Martin is scheduled to meet with Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte on Wednesday to review the program’s finer details and procedures. A formal announcement about the new program is expected from both governments in the coming days.

The program will be an expanded version of the current J visa program, which allows for students to work legally in the U.S. for a period of four months. J visas have been popular with Irish students for many years seeking work experience in the U.S. for the summer months.

The new pilot program is exclusive to natives of Ireland. It will last for a period of at least five years, with up to 20,000 visas available for each of the years. If the program is successful it is expected that the State Department will expand it to include natives of other countries.

The program also includes a reciprocal component which will allow 5,000 American citizens to legally reside and work in Ireland each year.

Those applying for a new J visa will have to either be enrolled in a university or vocational course of study, or recently completed a course of study. There is no age restriction for applicants, but because of the educational/vocational requirement it is expected that the majority of visas will be taken by younger Irish citizens.

Visa holders will be allowed to work legally in the U.S. for one year. A prior job offer in the U.S. is not required. The J visa is not renewable, and the holder will be expected to leave the U.S. when the visa expires.

A source told the Irish Voice that the Irish government is pleased to have been selected as the first country to participate in the State Department’s pilot program. The visas will ensure a new flow of legal Irish citizens into the U.S., which had not been happening due to existing U.S. restrictions and the availability of visas for the Irish to other countries such as Australia.

The Irish government, however, insists it has not given up on securing legal status for the undocumented Irish here.

“We have to take up what we can, when we can,” said the source. “That doesn’t mean in any way that we’ve stopped pushing for the undocumented.”

The Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform (ILIR) sees the new program as an important first step towards permanently opening the doors of the U.S. to the Irish, and regularizing the status of the undocumented.

“We welcome the news that up to 20,000 visas a year will be available for Irish to come to America on one year work programs. We are delighted Taoiseach Brian Cowen and the government has followed through on the commitment to sustain and create new links between Ireland and America which are more vital than ever in this global economy,” said ILIR chairman Niall O’Dowd.

“We look forward in the near future to working with the Irish government on resolving the issue of the Irish undocumented and creating a reciprocal work visa exchange program with the United States as other countries have done. The doors to America are open once again to a new generation of Irish.”

A spokeswoman for the State Department told the Irish Voice that a statement about the new program would be issued after it has been finalized.

When they say enrolled, will it count if you have applied to a college via the cao to start study in sept 09?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

That sounds promising. I recently finished a FETAC course in May of this year. I hope that gives me a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

When they say enrolled, will it count if you have applied to a college via the cao to start study in sept 09?

I doubt it (anyone can apply), unless you have been guaranteed a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Im slightly confused sorry if i'm asking a question asked 200 times already but do you need College education?
    And how old is "young" as in "young people", Im 17 and did my LC this year? Does this mean I can apply and if so are my chances good? I hope so as I always wanted to be an actor!!! And this could be my Break-Through!!:D:D

Maybe you'll have to be 18, when do you turn? Because if its not available until next jan feb, maybe you'll have turned. Being an 18 yr old in the states tho.... No Drinking for you :D

Resi12 wrote: »
    Im slightly confused sorry if i'm asking a question asked 200 times already but do you need College education?
    And how old is "young" as in "young people", Im 17 and did my LC this year? Does this mean I can apply and if so are my chances good? I hope so as I always wanted to be an actor!!! And this could be my Break-Through!!:D:D

Details are still relatively sketchy, we are unlikely to find out the exact details until they are ready to start shifting those visas (presumably through USIT and the likes) but it does appear that you must be intending on college eduction or pursuing a trade, and I am sure you'll have to be at least 18.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Maybe you'll have to be 18, when do you turn? Because if its not available until next jan feb, maybe you'll have turned. Being an 18 yr old in the states tho.... No Drinking for you :D

Well im 18 this Feb coming? Is that ok!? I really hope so I despise this country, ok a bit harsh but a break would be so nice now

Details are still relatively sketchy, we are unlikely to find out the exact details until they are ready to start shifting those visas (presumably through USIT and the likes) but it does appear that you must be intending on college eduction or pursuing a trade, and I am sure you'll have to be at least 18.

How will they know if you are intedning on a college education? Just through an interview and you telling them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Resi12 wrote: »
    Well im 18 this Feb coming? Is that ok!? I really hope so I despise this country, ok a bit harsh but a break would be so nice now

IF there is a minimum age of 18, all you'd need to do is apply after your birthday in February and you'll be fine. From the current wording ("expected to commence early in 2009"), it looks like the program will only start in spring next year anyway.
    How will they know if you are intedning on a college education? Just through an interview and you telling them?

It doesn't say those intending on college are eligible in the current press release, only those already enrolled. Specifically, it says "Those applying for a new J visa will have to either be enrolled in a university or vocational course of study, or recently completed a course of study."

If you are correct and those intending to study are eligible (and I really think you are clutching at straws here), I would think you'd need, at the very least, an acceptance/ deferment letter from a third level institution so they know you are definitely going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I finished a Diploma in DBS this year...I hope that counts!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Shelliestar

this visa is rediculous, apart from just helping a bunch of people who have finished their leaving its nothing new. Students can already do a J1 and those who have graduated can already do a 12 or 18 month internship J visa (its on the usit site). So I dont see how limiting it to within 12 months of graduation is gonna widen this net, apart form those with trade qualifications.

I finished college in 07 and technically graduated in Nov last year so they might stretch it but im doubtful. Maybe applying for another course on the CAO this year and deferring it might make me elligable but I guess we'll have to wait and see. There'll probably be more info in the next month and I'd say USIT will hop on it with a nice 'processing' fee.

Martin issues warning on limits of US visa deal

Independent.ie WebSearch By Patricia McDonagh

Friday October 10 2008

FOREIGN Affairs Minister Micheal Martin last night insisted students who take a "year out" from education will be ineligible for a new holiday working scheme with the US.

The scheme promises to allow more than 20,000 Irish citizens to go to the US for year-long working stays. And it also will allow more than 5,000 US citizens to come to Ireland.

Participants will have to hold an Irish or US passport and should be in post-secondary education or have graduated within 12 months to qualify, he said.

However, he stressed that those who have graduated more than 12 months prior to applying for the scheme will not be eligible. Fine Gael's Billy Timmins said he was concerned the programme may be somewhat "exclusive". Those wishing to take a year out after completing their leaving certificate will not be able to apply, he pointed out.

There it is, you need to have left college within 12 months to qualify, from the horses mouth. Looks like you have to have completed at least one year's college post leaving-cert to get it as well. Our hopes shot out of the sky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Martin issues warning on limits of US visa deal

Independent.ie WebSearch By Patricia McDonagh

Friday October 10 2008

FOREIGN Affairs Minister Micheal Martin last night insisted students who take a "year out" from education will be ineligible for a new holiday working scheme with the US.

The scheme promises to allow more than 20,000 Irish citizens to go to the US for year-long working stays. And it also will allow more than 5,000 US citizens to come to Ireland.

Participants will have to hold an Irish or US passport and should be in post-secondary education or have graduated within 12 months to qualify, he said.

However, he stressed that those who have graduated more than 12 months prior to applying for the scheme will not be eligible. Fine Gael's Billy Timmins said he was concerned the programme may be somewhat "exclusive". Those wishing to take a year out after completing their leaving certificate will not be able to apply, he pointed out.

There it is, you need to have left college within 12 months to qualify, from the horses mouth. Looks like you have to have completed at least one year's college post leaving-cert to get it as well. Our hopes shot out of the sky!

I'm still hopeful I will qualify with recently graduating a FETAC course this May gone.

Every statement made it seems like more and more people are cut out though. So I'm hopin he stops makin statements! heh

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭veritable

I just wish the US would make a deal with us paddies. we built their feckin cities for feck sake. why can't we just go over there and live, like Oz? as if we are a risk to their "national security" bullsh1t!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Nothing that new here but they seem to be putting a firm date of November 1st on the start date.

From www.irishabroad.com

Visas to Start in November
    October 15, 2008

By April Drew

MINISTER for Foreign Affairs Micheal Martin told members of the Dail (Parliament) last week that people interested in applying for the new one-year J visas can do so as of November 1.

While outlining details of the 20,000 U.S. visas and 5,000 Irish visas to his colleagues Martin said, “The Agreement will come into effect on November 2008. We would hope to see the first visas issued shortly after that.”

Martin said such a deal is “a very significant and positive development in our migration arrangements.”

Martin, who signed the agreement during his recent visit to Washington, D.C., told the Dail (Irish Parliament) that the announcement of new visas allowing new Irish into the U.S. was “warmly welcomed by community, sporting and business organizations in Ireland and the U.S.”

The U.S. government agreed to make available up to 20,000 visas for Irish citizens each year, which will allow them to work and travel in the U.S. for 12 months, after which time they must return home.

Reciprocally, the Irish government will allow up to 5,000 U.S. citizens to work and travel in Ireland also for a year. Each individual citizen will be free to secure employment upon arrive in each country. It will not be necessary to acquire a job prior to arrival in either country.

To qualify for the visa program, each participant must hold an Irish or U.S. passport. Each applicant must be in either post-secondary education which includes current enrollment in a third level institution or in a course that “could allow a student to go on obtain a degree,” according to a source at the Department of Foreign Affairs, or have graduated within the preceding 12 months.

Martin said the new program will not effect the “highly successful” student work and travel program, currently in existence which permits students from the U.S. and Ireland to work and travel for several months every summer.

“This J-1 program will continue to exist as a separate, more limited program,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭dvega

30 is the cutoff for AUS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TheDude2008

evrybody in ireland that is irish should be allowed to go to the usa we built the country for them sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

evrybody in ireland that is irish should be allowed to go to the usa we built the country for them sure

Says the guy who spends half his time on Boards moaning about immigrants here... :rolleyes:

any more news

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fergal_d

I wasnt in a college, but i was in a private college and did personal training there, will i qualify?

how can I apply?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

I finished College in Sept. 07 but only graduated in Dec 07 so hopefully that'll be a sufficient loophole.
    Pretty sure we can apply from Monday onwards...

I'll be like Charlie opening that Acceptance/PFO letter!

Is this true? I know they did say maybe November time, but didnt think there was a date put on it?

They've hardly said anything about it since the initial press release, but hoping you're right

Any news on this at all?? Seems to have gone very quiet on it. This is something id be more than extremely interested in, but the littel bits of news on it seem to have dried up until they announce something.

Monday, November 03, 2008

20,000 Irish quota in US visa deal

By Niamh Hennessy
    A VISA deal that will allow Irish people to work in the US for up to a year is due to be finalised this week.

The Department of Foreign Affairs said it had expected the deal would be in place sooner but it is waiting for final approval from the US. Minister for Foreign Affairs, Micheál Martin, announced the agreement last month.

The Working Holiday Agreement will allow a minimum of 20,000 Irish citizens who are in, or have recently completed, post secondary education to work and travel in the US for up to 12 months.

“This represents one of the most significant developments in our visa arrangements with the US in almost two decades,” said Mr Martin.

Under the terms of the deal, up to 5,000 US citizens will also be able to work and travel in Ireland on the same basis. The existing summer J1 programme will continue to exist as a separate programme.

“By working and travelling for a relatively lengthy period in each others’ countries, our young people will build important connections which will help maintain our very close ties to the US,” said Mr Martin

Last year 13,000 Irish people availed of visas to Australia and Mr Martin said he hopes that the US programme will be equally successful.

Last week the minister announced that a similar visa deal with Argentina is fully operational.

One hundred Irish citizens, aged 18-30 will be permitted to travel and work in Argentina for up to nine months as part of the programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jdean1

Hi All!

I was online doing research regarding the new Irish Intern Work and Travel program for additional information since the US Department of State's release did not provide a lot of details.

I would like to mention that it is possible to apply for a J-1 Visa (seperate from the Irish IWT) to train for up to 12 or 18 months in the US without having to be a college student or recent graduate within the past 12 months.

To be eligible for this type of visa you would need to have completed a post-secondary academic program, and have at least one year of work experience outside the US related to the field in which you plan to train
    Or
    At least 5 years of related work experience outside the US related to the field in which you plan to train

This program is slightly different from a work and travel program as you would have to be placed at a host property, and train at that property for the duration of your time in the US.

And the majority of the placements are in the following areas:
    Hospitality Management, Sales and Marketing, Business, Equine Research, Information Technology Services, Graphic Design, Engineering, Tour Operations, and Human Resources...

YES, the majority of these positions would be in hotels, pubs/restaurants BUT if you are looking to experience the US this is actually a great way to do it, and can open the door to better opportunities in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement