Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J-Visa for the USA!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Hogie

Lads just so you know the company will have to submit a training plan for you
    once you get a job, then the state department will have to approve it.

So it not just a matter of getting a job, the company has to be flexible as well. 20000 visa, id say 200 will nearly cover it!!!

Im going to keep trying anyhow, I can get a job related to to my field, just not sure will they be prepared for all this other craic, phone call every 60 day, written training plan and im guessing other stuff.

Every time I think "yes that's it" something else comes along and spoils the party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

God, this just gets dumber and dumber!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Hogie wrote: »
    Lads just so you know the company will have to submit a training plan for you
    once you get a job, then the state department will have to approve it.

i assume your talking about the ds7002 form? from the website it is only 2 pages long and the actual training plan is only one page long

here is the link ds7002 info

maybe i dont think its a big deal cause i know my company will just tell me to fill it out myself and they will sign it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Will this be availible again for students in the coming years?(2011,2012 etc.)? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

stainluss wrote: »
    Will this be availible again for students in the coming years?(2011,2012 etc.)? Thanks

Yes, I believe it's a 5 year pilot program but as we've discovered so far, is pretty much identical to the existing intern work and travel program so even if this one is wound up after 5 years, the other one should still be in operation

• Advertisement

Arcee wrote: »
    Yes, I believe it's a 5 year pilot program but as we've discovered so far, is pretty much identical to the existing intern work and travel program so even if this one is wound up after 5 years, the other one should still be in operation

you know 'intern' work... are you paid anything? oh please god tell me you are?:eek:

you know 'intern' work... are you paid anything? oh please god tell me you are?:eek:

Generally in the US internships are done for college credit or a token salary to cover expenses. Having said that, it's entirely up to you to find the internship so if you want to be paid then just apply for paid positions

Generally in the US internships are done for college credit or a token salary to cover expenses. Having said that, it's entirely up to you to find the internship so if you want to be paid then just apply for paid positions

oh ok. i just thought internship by definition might not be paid.. i guess you could always get a cash-in-hand job outside hours.. would irish universities count it for credit?

oh ok. i just thought internship by definition might not be paid.. i guess you could always get a cash-in-hand job outside hours.. would irish universities count it for credit?

Not sure...... if your course has a work experience or co-op semester/year and you can find a suitable postion abroad then it should count. I know a few kids on co-op from a course in UL at the mo and they're gone off to all corners of the earth for 9 months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 clarebearstare

Thanks for the update clarebearstare. Would you mind posting details of you embassy interview when you go for it? Would be interested to see what they ask you/how long it takes etc.

Hi everyone

Just updating you on my progress. Had my interview this morning in the embassy...after a bit of waiting around they called me to the counter and asked me what the purpose of my trip was, what I planned to work as, what I studied in college and had I been to the States before. That was it, they stamped my forms and said my passport and visa will be posted to me in 2-3 working days!

happy days and don't be too worried about the interview, I was freaked out but it was fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

And do what? Are there loads of jobs in the US?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Hi everyone

Just updating you on my progress. Had my interview this morning in the embassy...after a bit of waiting around they called me to the counter and asked me what the purpose of my trip was, what I planned to work as, what I studied in college and had I been to the States before. That was it, they stamped my forms and said my passport and visa will be posted to me in 2-3 working days!

happy days and don't be too worried about the interview, I was freaked out but it was fine!

Thanks for that clarebearstare.

Do you mind saying what you studied and what you told them youd be working at?

Just so id get an idea of how flexible they are, if at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 clarebearstare

I studied Property Economics and I told them I would be looking for something real estate/finance related. They didn't question me any further than that on it!

sakura77 wrote: »
    Ive been following this thread for ages. I've been looking at every possible visa available to the USA. I might as well be an immigration expert.
    I even met the Irish DFA guys (coincidence) at a function.

I believe this visa is kind of bull*. Its not fair. recent graduates from ireland get to 'go to the USA'..yay! and the previously thought freedom and flexibility have turned out to be false. Find an INTERNSHIP?! travel around the USA? have 30 days to find a job? related to your field of study?! who is going to hire someone (say, you've been searching for a month or more) for less than a year (unless its bar work, etc etc) ?! are you kidding me?! These 20,000 irish kids will either a) come crying home, broke b) end up working under the table, contributing further to the US illegal irish 'problem'...the very problem they sought to fix WITH this agreement!

The current economic climate makes this process insanely difficult. Recent grads dont usually have the MEANS to support themselves in the USA for that long.

The 'reciprocal' agreement- is not reciprocal. US citizens can go to Ireland easily enough and find a job (although that is probably very difficult NOW in Ireland, almost more than anywhere else) and do whatever they want.

THe US Dept. of State, as per usual, is not only charging a bucket for visas, but applying unrealistic and stressful conditions to it that, in my opinion, is not a very 'friendly' agreement.

They should just make it a straight-forward working holiday like we have in Japan, Australia, Canada, Ireland etc etc etc.

If anyone hears any more news from the IIC (Ive been in touch with them too) or anyone else- any updates as to conditions (by the way , are people even applying for this right now? please share your experience if so. I personally don't want to sign up yet unless everything is cleared up)

please let us know!

i agree that double standards apply between these two countries.. i belive there are 25000 irish working under the table over there now

LaLucy wrote: »
    And do what? Are there loads of jobs in the US?

You need to have graduated from a recognised third level course within the last 12 months so you need a degree or masters or equivalent. I'm sure some sectors in the US still have jobs for the right candidates. It's up to you if you want to take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dani Adelante

Anyone see this on the news? Dunno if I should wait on this or just go for the current one as there's nothing definite here.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0315/cowenb.html

well ihanded usit 1000euro today it better all work out :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 krc41

So have many people applied for the 12 month visa? There seems to be different information everywhere I look! Are most people booking through Usit / Sayit or the US sponsers like Pan Atlantic or IIC??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

I'm planning on applying through the IIC. Just trying to get the cash together at the moment. Bit nervous because of the state of the jobs market over there but gonna give it a go anyway. This is the first time I've posted here but I've been reading for weeks and it's been a big help. So cheers. :)

usit advised em that even if i have a job sorted before i go i might have to wait 3/4 weeks while it is audited by ciee

this is a bit of a deal breaker for me and i have decided to get a regular j1 and just do 4 months instead of 9 good luck to the others with this one

• Advertisement

I'm still considering getting this visa, but USIT say I have to buy my flights through them. Thing is, I don't want to travel via USIT.

To the people who have applied via the Boston centre, can you arrange whatever travel yourself, or do they force you to travel a certain way or using a certain company?

Thanks

That was one of my reasons for going with the IIC in Boston. Usit will charge you an arm and a leg for flights. And the insurance they sell you might cover things you don't need covered and not cover things you want covered, if that makes sense. But if you want to buy your own insurance Usit will charge a fee to make sure it's suitable. Seems like a racket.

With the IIC, you buy your own flights with whoever you want, and you sort out your own insurance and they'll recommend companies that comply with the State Dept.'s regulations.

Cliona99 wrote: »
    That was one of my reasons for going with the IIC in Boston. Usit will charge you an arm and a leg for flights. And the insurance they sell you might cover things you don't need covered and not cover things you want covered, if that makes sense. But if you want to buy your own insurance Usit will charge a fee to make sure it's suitable. Seems like a racket.

With the IIC, you buy your own flights with whoever you want, and you sort out your own insurance and they'll recommend companies that comply with the State Dept.'s regulations.

Thanks Cliona. Yeah I reckon it'll be the IIC for me.

I'm actually considering getting a cruise to NY (always wanted to do that) so don't want to go on a USIT flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Alan1988

Hi guys, doing the J1 this year. We're going to Miami, Florida. Does anyone have any contacts or advice in regard to jobs and accommodation? Any help would be much appreciated.

Alan1988 wrote: »
    Hi guys, doing the J1 this year. We're going to Miami, Florida. Does anyone have any contacts or advice in regard to jobs and accommodation? Any help would be much appreciated.

i would reccomend craigslist.com for both:D

Are you already in the US btw? Or when are you heading over?

Aarrrgh, I would LOVE to cruise to America, friend of mine is deathly afraid of flying so she combined her honeymoon and her emigration with a cruise from Spain to Texas. Also meant she could bring as much stuff as she wanted. :)

I'm still in Ireland. Hoping to leave on June 18th, (touch wood), if everything goes okay with this visa. Are you planning on staying in NY? What kind of work do you do/degree do you have?

Aarrrgh, I would LOVE to cruise to America, friend of mine is deathly afraid of flying so she combined her honeymoon and her emigration with a cruise from Spain to Texas. Also meant she could bring as much stuff as she wanted. :)

Actually, I'm really happy you posted that, because I was worried the port authorities would be difficult and say I have to arrive by plane or something!

Yeah, I can imagine it's a great way to arrive in the US. Pricey though, nearly 2k! But that includes accomodation and food.

I'm still in Ireland. Hoping to leave on June 18th, (touch wood), if everything goes okay with this visa. Are you planning on staying in NY? What kind of work do you do/degree do you have?

Yeah, I reckon I'll stay in NY. I have friends there and I reckon I'll love it. My degree/masters is in computer science, so I have to do some sort of computing job. I'd take anything really, as long as it's paid! (I'm genuinely concerned I won't be able to find a paid position, i.e. terrible economy and "internship" visa...)

What about you - what's your qualification? Have you started looking for work yet?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Summer Rose

I know its only slightly related but does anyone know if you have to go through USIT to get the new 12 month visa for the US. They're changing 700 euro and im broke. can i deal directly with the embassy instead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

can i deal directly with the embassy instead?
    Yes and no.

You need to obtain sponsorship papers from the US, that is what USIT charge for. If you can get those papers yourself then you can deal with the embassy yourself.

Without those papers you cannot apply to the embassy for the visa. The embassy does not care if you get those papers yourself.

Advertisement