Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking spaghetti for later?

• 19-09-2008 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

With my work hours I'm often in work at dinner time when the canteen is no longer open and I don't like having to prepare and eating dinner when I get home anywhere from 9pm-11pm.

I'm supposed to have bolongese today and I know there's no problem cooking it now and reheating it in a microwave at work but I'm not so sure about the spaghetti. All we have is a microwave and a machine which supplies boiling hot water but no hob or anything to keep the water boiling.

Should I boil it before I leave and store it in a container with olive oil and then microwave it with the bolongese at work or is there a better way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you get fresh (e.g. not dried) spaghetti it will cook in about 3 mins; the water from the machine that supplies boiling hot water may well stay hot enough for long enough to cook this.

If you cook before and then microwave I suspect the sauce will need longer than the pasta so maybe add the pasta half-way through. I don't have a microwave and haven't used one in 15 years but from a long long time ago I seem to recall that it didn't do great things to pasta (rubbery comes to mind.)

Pretty rough situation though, your employers should really be providing food if you have to work so late (I believe there is a legal obligation if you have to stay beyond 8pm.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think the best way to do it is to cook it all now, then mix the pasta well into the sauce and store it all in a tub. That way the pasta won't stick or go hard.
    Pasta shapes such as penne might be better that spaghetti for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

All good information thanks guys. For the next time, where do I get the fresh pasta? I usually shop in Tesco or Dunnes Stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Tesco have an own-brand range that is quite good and reasonably priced, although they made some change recently that upped the cooking times. I'm pretty sure Dunnes have similar although it may be more expensive. Spaghetti is generally one of the quickest-cooking types of pasta you can get.

Note there is generally not a great advantage to fresh pasta other than this quick-cooking, generally for spaghetti or more often fettuccine or pappardelle I would go with a dried one from a good brand like Barilla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think the best way to do it is to cook it all now, then mix the pasta well into the sauce and store it all in a tub. That way the pasta won't stick or go hard.
    Pasta shapes such as penne might be better that spaghetti for this.

The best advice!:)

Barilla or De Cecco are the best dried pastas round these parts.
    Fresh pasta is a bit of a scam IMHO unless you're making ravioli or other filled pasta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dohda

I have often cooked pasta in advance. Not keen on putting it in a microwave though as no matter what you do some of it always seems to go hard. I put the pasta in a large airtight pot and then when I need it at work I pour boiling water over it and let it sit for 2-3 min. This is more than long enough to warm the pasta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I 'wave pasta all the time - as said before, if the pasta is dressed with the sauce it microwaves quite well. I leave it in the tupperware box with the lid on, but not secured - the build up of steam while heating in the microwave usually avoids any hard bits. A good quality pasta is essential - don't want it turning to wallpaper paste in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dohda wrote: »
    I put the pasta in a large airtight pot and then when I need it at work I pour boiling water over it and let it sit for 2-3 min. This is more than long enough to warm the pasta.
    I would recommend this too.

If you insist on microwaving make sure to rinse it and ensure it is all evenly wetted, microwaves go for water, and if one bit is dry it will go all hard. Liquids always do better in the microwave, so if it is mixed with the tomato sauce it will be better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I've often cooked fresh pasta in the microwave at work.
    Boiling water into a bowl, through in some fresh pasta, put a plate on top and nuke for about 2/3 the time they recommend boiling for, then check it, if its not done leave in a bit longer.

Handy for tortelini w/ pesto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭brick tamland

never had it but i seen microwavable pasta pouches in the supermarket. think they were Dolmio or Roma. propably sh1te though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

microwave pouches are very rubbery, i'd avoid them tbh. Either cook your own and keep a bit damp or buy fresh pasta (which would be my preferred option but a bit more espensif)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you want to cook pasta in advance you need to cook as normal in salted water then as soon as the pasta is cooked to your preference (al dente) etc.
    Take it out and plunge it into a cold water bath, then drain.
    This stops the cooking process immediately.
    Then just make the sauce as normal and dress the pasta with it just before you eat the meal.
    The pasta will absorb the sauce and go all soft if you leave it soaking in the sauce.
    I used to do this all the time in commercial kitchens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

CJhaughey wrote: »
    If you want to cook pasta in advance you need to cook as normal in salted water then as soon as the pasta is cooked to your preference (al dente) etc.
    Take it out and plunge it into a cold water bath, then drain.

Do this, then add some olive oil to the spaghetti and mix it through, will help prevent sticking, cooling it way down is essential though.

Advertisement