Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco Course

Options
  • 19-09-2008 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi
    i am considering getting into networking and have a few questions?,

what would be the best course to do (not full time),
    i do not have a computer science degree,
    Are the Cisco (cnna) and Microsoft (mcse)qualifications good?
    is it a rewarding career?
    would you get a job with just the mcse or cnna courses or would you need a primary degree before hand?
    Would one recommend it as a career?
    any help would eb appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Professional Qualifications are good to have but if you have the oppertunity try and get your degree first.

Getting a job with just your MCsE/CCNA and no experience would be difficult but not impossible.

As for what course I did my CCNA and CCNP and a few other qualifications at BCT in Dublin and found them very good, very knowledgeable lectureres who acutually work in the field and can give good hands on knowledge.

Rewarding career, can be if you get past the router configuration jobs into network design and management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

There are two Cisco courses to get started. INTRO and ICND. They are each a week long but will cost a pretty penny for the two. The CCNA is one exam and the MSCE is a series of 6 exams.

Getting a degree or an other third level qualification is a good thing as well, especially if you are young.

I have done both the MS route and the Cisco route. I much prefer the networking side of things. The CCNA is a tough exam and the rest are very difficult. However a CCIE would be the top earner if you get it.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Cormic wrote: »
    There are two Cisco courses to get started. INTRO and ICND. They are each a week long but will cost a pretty penny for the two. The CCNA is one exam and the MSCE is a series of 6 exams.
    I'm not sure if you've mixed things up or you did things a while ago, but there is an ICND1 and an ICND2, which are both a week long. If you do ICND1 you get a CCENT, and if you do both you get a CCNA. I think you can do just the one (longer) CCNA exam instead, but if you fail that you get nothing.

I tried to do the CCNA but failed the ICND2 exam (the first exam was piss easy in comparison - got too complacent or something afterwards), so only got CCENT certification. I'm going to do the ICND2 exam again.

I've come across several people in the IT business who haven't gone to college at all but have done certification courses and got experience, e.g. my last manager! You're probably gonna have to start off with crappy helpdesk jobs, but even most college graduates are in the same boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I'm not sure if you've mixed things up or you did things a while ago

It was five years ago when I did the second course so it has probably changed since then.

Advertisement