Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local dentists thread <merged>

Options
  • 13-04-2008 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Anyone know of a dentist/orthodontist in Galway city centre that opens on Saturdays or in the evenings during the week? Can't get time off work to keep the daytime weekly appointments.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Smiles are open, they're really good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 crazycatlady

Thank you. I couldn't find their opening hours on their website. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Good shtuff ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ofthebeststuff

Hi there...

I've had an old root-canal tooth break off under the gum, and it's kind of killing me (my way back molar) I'm new in the city without dental insurance and want to find someone ASAP. Money is not a huge issue, but I have no idea how much these things cost in Ireland (I'm Canadian.) Any help?

Thanks so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gannett

here is a list of dentists in galway city. I suggest you ring ones closest to you.

http://www.irelands-directory.com/Galway/Galway/Health%20Care/Dentists.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I'd really recommend the clinic out in Oranmore. Been to a couple of dentists in the city and wasn't too happy with them but was told about this place and i'd have to say i've never had a problem with them. There phone number is (091)795195.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I've only been once since being in Galway but went to Peter Gannon - I found him very good and he came highly recommended. And unlike visiting a dentist in Dublin I didn't have to wait in the waiting room for three hours. He saw me at my appointment time. Go Galway.

Gannon Peter B. A B. Dent Sc
    Unit 3 Rosard Cappagh Road, Galway
    091-596768

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I've been to lots of dentists and I would strongly recommend Dr. McGee in Merchants Road in Galway. He's extremely gentle and does excellent work. It can be hard to get an appointment because he's very popular but if you say you're in pain they will try to fit you in usually.

McGee Dental Surgery
    Unit 2 Laurence HseMerchants rdGalway
    Co. Galway
    Ireland
    He's based right in the city centre too which is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Firstly sorry i know there was a dentist thread quite recently but money'll be a key issue with me so the cheaper the better!

I've quite alot of work to get done I'd imagine (lets put it this way, I should have went 12 months ago :( ) which i imagine is going to be quite expensive. And best case scenario I will be borrowing money to get it done off the 'ol lad (worst case: bank) so it could do with being as light on the pocket as possible.

Also would dentists in Galway be anymore expensive than dentists anywhere? I'm from Athlone so i could more than likely go to one there easy enough (but Galway would suit better)

Thanks for any advice you can give.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 mjtaljaard

I find dentists in the republic to be a disgrace.
    I paid €150 to have a checkup and 1 tooth filled. A week later the filling fell out!
    I decided to go to a dentist in Newry and it only cost me €40 + petrol and the filling is as good as the day he put it in and it is now more than a year later.
    There is no way in hell I will ever go to a dentist here in the republic. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

get a mcard

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you got an Polish friends, perhaps they could recommend someone in their city? Even with flights, if you stay in hostels it should be heaps cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

as mentioned on the previous thread, peter gannon on the cappagh road, found him reasonably priced and punctual, and besided all that i actually fell asleep i was so relaxed and he worked away on a filling. i didnt think something like that would be possible in the dentists but it was years since i was at one and drills and all that have gotten more friendly,look at my curly whites:D

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Firstly sorry i know there was a dentist thread quite recently but money'll be a key issue with me so the cheaper the better!

I've quite alot of work to get done I'd imagine (lets put it this way, I should have went 12 months ago :( ) which i imagine is going to be quite expensive. And best case scenario I will be borrowing money to get it done off the 'ol lad (worst case: bank) so it could do with being as light on the pocket as possible.

Also would dentists in Galway be anymore expensive than dentists anywhere? I'm from Athlone so i could more than likely go to one there easy enough (but Galway would suit better)

Thanks for any advice you can give.

No such thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

JustMary wrote: »
    Have you got an Polish friends, perhaps they could recommend someone in their city? Even with flights, if you stay in hostels it should be heaps cheaper.
    I'll second this. The last time I visited Krakow I met half a dozen Irish people (including two from Galway co-incidentally). All of them were going over for dental procedures. One guy spelt it out quite plainly. He got quoted €4,000 in Galway and €2,000 in Krakow. Even after a short holiday and the costs of flights, accommodation etc. you're still coming out way ahead :).

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

mjtaljaard wrote: »
    I find dentists in the republic to be a disgrace.
    I paid €150 to have a checkup and 1 tooth filled. A week later the filling fell out!
    I decided to go to a dentist in Newry and it only cost me €40 + petrol and the filling is as good as the day he put it in and it is now more than a year later.
    There is no way in hell I will ever go to a dentist here in the republic. :mad:

It's not like they're ripping you off! They have much higher overheads than in the north, higher rent, higher staffing costs, probably higher costs on equipment.

Sorry witnessmenow, no advice for you other than what has already been said, but the north is probably a good bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

If you need to have a lot of work - some dentists will let you set up a payment plan of installments - asta on bridge street used to do that.
    something about PRSI credits being deductable - not sure of details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

what happens if u do go abroad for dental work and its a **** job wheres the comeback
    and i have a friend whose parent is a dentist and its the cost of dental materials that drives up the costs here
    the dentist should as P-SUE-KNOME 1;) above pointed out be giving u the PRSI forms on ur first visit / check up so ur not stung when the reconstruction work starts
    since saturday ive paid out €400 on dental work but she was very professional and due to my neglect of my teeth i cant whinge about it

and for the plug --- dentist jus up past Massimoes place with the cool mirror teeth;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

axiom32 wrote: »
    what happens if u do go abroad for dental work and its a **** job wheres the comeback
    That's a fair point. Like anything really, it's worthwhile doing as much research as you can before committing to something.

With that said, witnessmenow, if you're interested, PM me and I can send you on details of a Krakow-based dentist that some of my Polish friends use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I've heard good reports from people who've gone to Polish and Hungarian dentists too.

There was a survey of dental prices north and south of the border here featured on TV yesterday. I thought the results were shocking .Definitely looks like it's well worth taking a trip north!

Here are the average prices in various Irish counties for common procedures and the then there's a comparisson of average prices for procedures South Vs North:

Republic of Ireland:

1. Galway
    Bridge - €1,200
    Veneers - €600
    Crowns - €600
    Filling - €100

2. Cork
    Bridge - €800 / unit
    Veneer - €800
    Crowns - €700 - €900
    Filling - €70 - €100

3. Dublin
    Bridge - €1000 / unit
    Veneer - €600
    Crown - €1,000
    Filling - €90 - €110

Northern Ireland:

1. Newry:
    Bridge - £290 (per tooth) / €365
    Veneer - £260 / €327
    Crown - £290 / €365
    Filling - £20 - 80 (depends on colour and size) / €25 - €100

2. Banbridge:
    Bridge - £230 - 350 / per unit / €289 - €441
    Veneer - £150 / €189
    Crown - £230- £350 / €289 - €441
    Filling - £45 - £60 / €57 - €76

3. Belfast:
    Bridge - £450 / unit / €567
    Veneer - £450 / €567
    Crown - £450 - £500 / €567 - €630
    Filling - £40+ / €50+

Average Cost South V's North

Procedure South V's North
    Bridge €1000 €365

Veneer €666 361

Crown €800 €480

Filling €95 €62

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What happens in you go to a dentist in Ireland and it's a **** job?

"But my teeth hurt"
    "Ahh, sure, take two asprin and you'll be grand".

I bet the Polish government has never run a publicity campaign telling patients to ask their health-professionals if they've washed their hands recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

discussing this with a mate last night and he told me he had researched the idea of going to Poland for some work. He found out the reason for it being cheaper is that the government subsidises the dentists fees as it leads to a greater number of tourists coming in

95% of austrians and germans use this method he found out

so on that id check with malice for those Krakov dentists have a holiday and be confident the dentist is capable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭balu

95% of austrians and germans use this method he found out

Nah. Mostly all dental stuff is covered by the health insurance in Germany.

But I always hear that Hungarian doctors and dentists are excellent. I could imagine that many polish dentists already raised their prices due to many foreigners coming.

http://www.tibordental.com/price_list.php "Consultation in Ireland - €50" ?

http://www.revahealth.com/dentists/hungary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭louisecm

Hey guys,

Have done a search and taken note of a lot of the dental recommendations but was hoping to get some more. Basically, I'm in dire need of a dentist and realistically have been for about 3 years. I really hate going, have a major issue about it, and therefore have let my teeth get to a stage where I think a lot of work needs to be done.

I need to go to the dentist, to someone who will be nice! I know how stupid I've been to let it go, really don't need to be given out to. Can you recommend a kindly dentist in the city centre?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dr Asta Reddin
    Bridge street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I'd recommend Liam McGee on Merchants Rd. I let my teeth go after a few bad experiences. A friend refered me to Liam and I now go to him twice a year for check ups. Nice Bloke. The same Receptionist there for years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I started using Joe in JME on Middle Street after several people recommended them. They also have a surgery in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

My dentist is Catherine Long, office across from the dáíl bar. Very polite and informative.Not cruel or judgemental about flossing habits. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭claireeney

i just went and same as you let my teeth go unseen for way too long. sitting here this minute with numb jaw, two fillings and lovely shiny teeth. but god.... dont let it go on any longer!!! go now, ring dentist, get those teeth seen.
    i went to Dr Forde on bridge st. who has a stand in dentist at the moment. he's very nice and explains everything honestly. and its not as bad as they say....its worse! (joke).

heres a list to find the nearest to you:

http://www.galway.net/directory/classification-list.jsp?code=service.health.dentist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭louisecm

Thanks guys, I'm afraid it will have to wait til payday (January is one tough month), which is at the end of the week. I will definitely get it sorted soon though, I know I'll feel better once I do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement