Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local dentists thread <merged>

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 MrBill

Dr. Seamus O'Toole crowns veneers implants cosmetic smile makeover spa wisdom teeth white teeth comfort stress free environment painless wisdom tooth...

I think his number is 041 345...
    Jesus Christ this thread is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

MrBill, if you have an issue use the report button!

Everyone bear in mind that if a poster here has a low post count it may very well be the dentist themselves trying to bring in the customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

MrBill wrote: »
    Jesus Christ this thread is ridiculous.

We could say the same thing about your attitude. Why post on this thread if you have nothing helpful to say???

I'm not from Galway, I'm living here for quite a long time, but a good dentist is something I've not had much success with finding up here. This thread has been helpful to me, and countless others too I have no doubt.

There are dentists working in this city who are nothing short of chancers, charging too much, and trying to con people into getting extra unnecessary work done. Good work and good materials come at a price, but that price should at least be semi-reasonable, and the work done should be necessary, and not done because the dentist has another ignorant in his/her chair that can be taken advantage of because the average Joe is none the wiser.

You entrust your teeth to a dentist in the hope and expectation that they will carry out good lasting work at a good price. Some dentists do that, and some don't, and this thread helps people to identify who does. Please tell me what the hell is wrong with that:confused:

(And It's pretty obvious on here what posts are blatant plugs and what posts aren't)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 MrBill

(And It's pretty obvious on here what posts are blatant plugs and what posts aren't)

Yes, like half of them. Hence the ridiculousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nikkiplc2001

Hey just back from the dentist today, havent been to a dentist in years, well anyway i got to see the dentist, got an xray and one filling, this cost me €90 just wondering if that is a good price for a dentist?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Made it finally to the dentist yesterday. I went to:

McGee Dental Surgery
    Unit 2 Laurence HseMerchants rdGalway
    Co. Galway
    Ireland

...as recommended in post #5 of this thread. I assumed it was Dr. McGee I had the appointment with but it turned out that it was Dr. Nora Hopkins. Must be a joint practice. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. She was very good and very nice. Saw me right at my appointed time so no hanging around. I just wanted a check-up and clean and luckily I didn't need any further work. €70 which I thought was very reasonable. She did a very thorough job too :) Very helpful assistant also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Maybe a bit OT, but since when are Dentists referred to as Dr?

Years ago (fifteen-twenty) they were plain Mr. or Mrs. Now they seem to like being called Dr. As far as I know they aren't medical doctors and they don't (I think) have PHDs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 finito

Ok I'm finally gonna bite the bullet and go to the dentist. Like a fool I haven't gone in over 10 years and I need plenty of work done ie fillings etc.
    Does anyone know of any dentist that wouldn't be too judgemental since I haven't been for so long?

Ideally I'd like to go and get my teeth cleaned (never had it done) and then be told what work I need done. Thereby setting up a process where I'd go every week/two weeks to get all the work done.

Any recomendations appreciated. If anyone has past experience of this, even better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Dr. Nora Hopkins as I mentioned about 3 posts above this.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

finito wrote: »
    Ok I'm finally gonna bite the bullet and go to the dentist. Like a fool I haven't gone in over 10 years and I need plenty of work done ie fillings etc.
    Does anyone know of any dentist that wouldn't be too judgemental since I haven't been for so long?

Ideally I'd like to go and get my teeth cleaned (never had it done) and then be told what work I need done. Thereby setting up a process where I'd go every week/two weeks to get all the work done.

Any recomendations appreciated. If anyone has past experience of this, even better.

You should go to a dentist called Gannon on the Cappagh Rd in Knocknacarra. Or a Meave O'Tool in Oranmore. Have your PPS number when you book your appointment and they will deduct as much as they can off it. One of the lads that works for me needed to get a tooth removed and he got it done along with a clean and polish for a massive 15e with Meave O'Tool. I go to Peter Gannon coz I'm over that side of the city and he opens late. Again... Not over priced. And very nice too! Oh... I'm not a dentist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

You're right, dentists are qualified as surgeons, therefore, have the right to be called "Mr," as they are physicians as well as surgeons, offering diagnostic skills & therapy! However, in Ireland, by tradition, they use the title "Dr."
    And if they want to be called "Dr," whilst they're pulling out your teeth, I say let them! (lol!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

NMoore wrote: »
    You're right, dentists are qualified as surgeons, therefore, have the right to be called "Mr," as they are physicians as well as surgeons, offering diagnostic skills & therapy! However, in Ireland, by tradition, they use the title "Dr."
    And if they want to be called "Dr," whilst they're pulling out your teeth, I say let them! (lol!)

dentists are not physicians!!

their degree (in this country anyway) is a BDS degree - Bachelor of Dental Surgery, and they are entitled to call themselves Dr, but they certainly are not physicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

as for a good dentist, i went to brendan forde in barna recently

found him very friendly, explained everything and i felt no pain whatsoever (and im a big wuss when it comes to dentists)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

midouri wrote: »
    Hi,

I can highly recommend Dr Mary Colbert.

When I first came to Galway I went to a total scammer who told me I needed approx. 16 fillings. I could smell a rat and asked around because I wanted to change dentist for obvious reasons!!

Someone told me to go to Dr Colbert. She told me that i needed one filling.
    She is lovely and would definitely recommend her.
    She is in Forster Court Dental Surgery 562223!
    She wasn't available one time i went and a gentleman looked after my filling. He was sound aswell.
    Good luck with it!!!!!!!

Completely disagree, she's one of the dentists who have a hygenist aka money spinner on the premises and when you get your teeth cleaned, on the prsi, insists that you should go to the hygenist and that nothing else will do and that you risk losing every tooth in your head if you don't. So you get charged 50 euros extra each time. Complete scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

i made an appointment before christmas and got prsi approved and all that for the free clean. so i saw dentist and he cleaned my teeth or so i thought. when i was done he said i was good to go but would like if i came back as soon as i could to get my teeth cleaned with the hygenist?!?!
    whats the differnce between a dentist and hygenist teeth clean?
    also got stung for an €30 xray, wasnt even given an option to see if i wanted an xray done or not...which i thought was bad form

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

As the title goes.... OH fecked his tooth last night and is pain... He's a college student, so needless to say, funds are low.

Anyone know the cheapest place to get a filling and a cleaning?
    Doesn't matter if its a back-street dentist or the dodgey'ist place in town, just wanna get it sorted!!!

Already got a quote of around 75 for the filling, anywhere that does cheaper than this?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Dont know any dentists in Galway but rather then setting up a new thread on the matter see page 23 of the independent, some guys giving free assesments to get it done over in Budapest.

Weeks holiday and get your teeth done on the last day is my plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Seems a bit of a trek to go for a filling?

Perhaps if I was having my mouth remodeled though :D When you think of the expenses you go to booking flights and a hotel, food etc, does it really work out cheaper in the long run to get teeth done abroad?
    I could see how getting a mouth of veneers would be probably work out cheaper, as they're a couple of grand to get done, but general work like fillings and caps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Got two fillings recently in the Renmore Dental Practice, the dentist is Dr McLoughlin. He's sound and fairly young. They cost me €90 each. Got them cleaned and polished as well for the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Liam McGee in Merchants Road is excellent. No pain policy and very very honest. Gone to him now on several occasions and have brought my 5 year old there. Very nice chap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

dclane wrote: »
    Liam McGee in Merchants Road is excellent. No pain policy and very very honest. Gone to him now on several occasions and have brought my 5 year old there. Very nice chap.

Think the woman wants prices as opposed to the dentist being very nice. And what does very very honest mean???

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Asta Reddin gets my vote. I took the advice of the people on here this week and went to that practice after 8 years of not having seen a dentist and in severe pain. Gentle, reassuring, professional and no lectures! Anyone worrying about who to go to: There's your answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

Anyone been to smiles???? Need a filling and they are having a sale;)
    But would pay extra elsewhere if i found out they were butchers:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jacarey

Hi,

Has anyone got veneers at Eyre Square Dental or Gate Clinic in Galway? Callled into both clinics for a consultation and they both seem pretty good but it's always hard to know with dentists. There's also a big difference in price because the Gate Clinic recommended 6 veneers whereas the dentist in the Eyre Square Dental Clinic said 4 should be enough.

It would be good to hear from someone who has gone veneers at either of those places or anywhere else in Galway. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

So has anyone been to smiles dentist yet? I need to get a crown, was quoted 1050euros by my own dentist, I see smiles do them for around 550e, but it seems too good to be true!
    How can they be so cheap compared to other dentists? If its a scam I'm going to Hungary to get it done....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby_Woo

Anyone know if there are any after hours / late night Dentists around the town?

Just after chipping a tooth (ouwwie!) so hoping I'll be able to get this sorted sometime soonish..

Any ideas guys?

Thanks! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A cousin who works on Healthline told me that the official answer is "If you're in serious pain, contact your GP's afterhours service - they will give you painkillers if they think it's required".

(She then went on to say some snarky things about the health system overall, and the lack of after-hours services in general, dentistry in particular.)

Hopefully Galway's better than the rest of the country ... (or you have a friend who know's a dentist).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ring everyone here
    http://www.irelands-directory.com/Galway/Galway/Health%20Care/Dentists.html

Apparently Frank Cuddy & Associates are open late but best ring first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby_Woo

Thanks for the help guys!

I've actually got an appointment for 9am tomorrow, so it's not too bad, I'm sure I'll survive through the night! :D

For anyone that's interested though... Seeing as I had my mishap just after 5pm, I was hopeful that I'd be able to find some surgery open in Galway/Athenry/Claregalway that would be open til 6/6.30, and there was... however in all instances there was only hygienists and dental nurses available, no actual dentists.

So that be a lesson to ye folks, keep your dental traumas til between the hours of 9-5pm to be on the safe side!

Thanks again guys! Appreciate it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Hey guys do the dentists listed here do braces or do I have to go to an orthodontist for that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement