Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boiler - auto air vents

Options
  • 19-09-2008 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

2 quick queries for the plumbing gurus.

I needed to replace the auto air vent in my oil boiler (the vent that takes any air out of the water). There is a screw-down valve at the top, and I'm not sure how this should be set (open, closed, half way?)

Oddly enough after changing it and testing the heating, I heard a whistle in my hot press. The hot water tank had another of these auto air vents and it was whistling. It is now leaking as well, and it seems to be coming out of the valve at the top. Did air in the system from the first install damage the second vent or do these valves have a short lifetime? The boiler system is 8 years old.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Take off the cap of the leaking vent ,wrap some ptfe tape around the thread on the vent and screw the cap back on.
    It should stop leaking then.

Leaking AAR tend to be an indicator of a dirty system, so check system water for any solids in it and flush if necessary, Gary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Thanks guys - how would I best look for solids in the water system? Its under pressure, and theres no convenient windows :)

You need to take a water sample from a convenient place ie a rad valve, drain off or at the boiler, but not the 3 bar discharge valve, in a ideal world the sample will be clear and frothy if there is sentinel inhibitor in it and white wine colour(pee) or peey white wine and frothy if there is fernox inhibitor in it and no black bits or other solids in the water, if you find the water sample is just water or water with solids or a milky tee like colour or black, then flush, have a look at the fernox or sentinel site for better info, Gary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

If it's possible get rid of the automatic air vents ,they actually let air into a heating system.
    Replace them with manual vents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

311 wrote: »
    If it's possible get rid of the automatic air vents ,they actually let air into a heating system.
    Replace them with manual vents.

Yea, Those automatic air vents are deadly - they always leak - sooner or later.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Thanks a million for the input. I dont claim to understand it all, but I have great ammunition for further research! Thanks again.

Advertisement