Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New York, Boston - auto observations.

Options
  • 19-09-2008 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Just back from a spell in New York and Boston. Some observations:

Virtually every E-class/S-class Merc I saw was a 4-matic. Many BMWs were also 'x' models. I didn't think their winters were that harsh and all the RWD domestics seem to fare OK. Needless to say all were at the opposite end of the spectrum from the ‘Paddy-special’ small-engine, low-spec models but I was expecting this. It was the plethora of 4-matic Mercs that really surprised me.

Even in downtown Manhattan the number of Astons, Bentlys, Ferraris etc. was not an a par with the swankier areas of D4. We really are a bunch of noveau riche ****.

The Ford Fusion is a DAMN fine-looking car in the flesh.

Somewhere north of Central Park I spotted a new model Impreza in traffic. It looked impressive with bonnet scoop and big wheels - clearly a performance variant. My jaw dropped however when I noticed it was a SALOON:eek:! I was 100% certain Subaru were sticking to the hatch for the new model. It did not overtly look like a prototype either. Maybe my eyes deceived me or something, it was a quick glimpse moving in the opposite direction.

Spotted a Peugeot 405. AFAIK these were sold in N. America for about 5 minutes in the late 80s so quite a sighting.

Bostonians seem slightly more partial to Euro/Jap cars than New Yorkers where bigger is most definitely better.

Cheers is a huge disappointment...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

pburns wrote: »

For a second there, I thought you were talking about this, and had gone insane. Then I clicked you link and all was right with the world again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Virtually every E-class/S-class Merc I saw was a 4-matic. Many BMWs were also 'x' models. I didn't think their winters were that harsh
    http://images.google.ie/images?hl=en&safe=off&q=boston%20snow%20storm&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

http://images.google.ie/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&q=new+york+snow+storm&btnG=Search+Images

Worse than anything we get here, especially around Dublin.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

one thing i hated about driving in america is the majority of cars brake light flashes as an indicator, really terrible especially in bad weather or when visibility is poor.

you think in the land where you can buy sausages on a skewer wrapped in a pancake and sprinkled with chocolate chips (blurgh) they'd think of having proper indicators.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

kbannon wrote: »
    Searching for the words snow storm and dublin don't necessarily reveal snow storms in dublin!
    http://images.google.com/images?q=dublin%20snow%20storm&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi
    True, but the majority of the ones in the links I gave actually were of Boston and New York (I checked first), plus anyone who keeps an eye on the news reports knows that part of the US gets some pretty severe winters sometimes. I was just using those links as an illustration of that fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I was 100% certain Subaru were sticking to the hatch for the new model.

Just in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Even in downtown Manhattan the number of Astons, Bentlys, Ferraris etc. was not an a par with the swankier areas of D4. We really are a bunch of noveau riche ****.

Manhattan is a nightmare to drive around and especially for parking. There are many multi-millionaires who just go from uptown apartments to jobs downtown in the financial area. They take taxis to work, and hire a driver with something like a Lincoln Town Cars when they need to get around. It's quite a different dynamic to most cities.

I'm sure if you went to places like Beverly Hills, Orange County on the West coast, Monaco etc, you would see a display of cars that would piss on anything you see in D4.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Just back from a spell in New York and Boston. Some observations:
    Did that last summer in 10 days....preferred Boston
    Virtually every E-class/S-class Merc I saw was a 4-matic.
    Most BMW and Merc auto derivitaves are now plain PRND and nothing else....regardless of continent. BMW even have that joystick gearbox that's just DR with a P button on top...not sure where the N falls in.
    Cheers is a huge disappointment...
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Incidentally, a big ass SUV like the Escalade is as much of a status symbol over there - the European "exotica" isn't as big an attraction as it is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

ninty9er wrote: »
    Most BMW and Merc auto derivitaves are now plain PRND and nothing else....regardless of continent. BMW even have that joystick gearbox that's just DR with a P button on top...not sure where the N falls in.

+1

No 4-matic is just 4 wheel drive not the gearbox AFAIK.
    Also, one thing I noticed over there is that the American spec Toyota Camry is a dman nice car, especially in black with sports kit. If they sold it over here with a 2 litre diesel they'd clean up

• Advertisement

No 4-matic is just 4 wheel drive not the gearbox AFAIK.
    Also, one thing I noticed over there is that the American spec Toyota Camry is a dman nice car, especially in black with sports kit. If they sold it over here with a 2 litre diesel they'd clean up

I had assumed it was something to do with the gearbox, considering non 4matic mercs have a similar layout to old fashioned Jags in the centre console.

+1 on the Camry, the Jap imports just don't cut the mustard. My dad would definitely buy a 4-5 year old one if they came in around the €20k mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Side profile (window and door frame) looks almost identical to the MkIII Mondoe:
    2008_ford_fusion_sport_appearance_package.jpg
    Ford%20Mondeo%20sedan.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Virtually every E-class/S-class Merc I saw was a 4-matic. Many BMWs were also 'x' models. I didn't think their winters were that harsh and all the RWD domestics seem to fare

Somewhere north of Central Park I spotted a new model Impreza in traffic. It looked impressive with bonnet scoop and big wheels - clearly a performance variant.

How does 3ft of snow outside your door sound?
    Snow tyres are necessary in winter. 4WD doesn't make much difference without the correct tyres.

Also, the impreza saloon is US specific, as hatches are not that popular over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I remember when I was in Los Angeles about 4 years ago, I spotted an old Mini Cooper with UK reg. plates! Quite a distance from home I thought!
    Spotted a Peugeot 405. AFAIK these were sold in N. America for about 5 minutes in the late 80s so quite a sighting.

So was the 505. There is quite alot of 505's in California, far more than there is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Definitely a lot more snow in New England that in Ireland. Storms can drop from a couple of inches to 2 foot of snow at a time and by January it's not unusal to have several feet of snow built up in your yard. I swap winter tires onto my cars every year when I hear the forecast call for the first snow.

I test drove a Ford Fusion before. I have to say I wasn't that impressed with it but it did look nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

ninty9er wrote: »
    Did that last summer in 10 days....preferred Boston

+1

4-matic is MB's version of 4WD, not about automatic gears.
    They don't make RHD 4-matics, except maybe the G-Class (I think).

EDIT: sorry got olded! didn't read all the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

I think that here we have to demonstrate our wealth to the widest possible audience so a car is the easiest way to do it - the Yanks have had more experience of wealth and have discovered more ways to express it.

I was in NYC two weeks ago and didn't see any new model Imprezas even though I keep an eye on the local car talent.

I think that maybe the Yanks overcompensate in some areas with 4WD - I've driven in Boston and various parts of New Hampshire in deepest winter and would reckon that Ireland can be more treacherous (not a very scientific example as it was over a couple of weeks) - they had lower humidity/a drier kind of cold that didn't lead to as much surface/black ice so grip wasn't compromised to the same degree. The biggest problem in Ireland to my eyes is that other drivers don't see low surface temperatures as a problem and drive as normal. A bit of snow (not quite as dangerous as heavy frost) sees the whole place grind to a halt as people overcompensate.

As far as US Fords go, I hired a Taurus for that trip and liked it - plasticy inside but not too bad. I like the Five Hundred too - a lot of Passat/Superb in the side view to my eyes though.

BTW I hated Boston - interesting if you're fascinated by the early days of US politics but bored me to tears after a couple of days. If its cosmopolitan with a European influence you're after give me California any day - its got plenty of sunshine to boot!

Pete4779 wrote: »
    4-matic is MB's version of 4WD, not about automatic gears.
    They don't make RHD 4-matics, except maybe the G-Class (I think).

4Matics available in Ireland

C280 4Matic
    C320 CDI 4Matic
    C350 4Matic

E280 4Matic
    E280 CDI 4Matic
    E320 CDI 4Matic
    E350 4Matic
    E500 4Matic

Entire GL range

Entire ML range (with Speedshift in 63 AMG)

R280 CDI 4Matic long
    R320 CDI 4Matic
    R320 CDI 4Matic long
    R350 4Matic
    R350 4Matic long
    R500 4Matic
    R500 4Matic long

S range with the exception of the 420 CDI, 600 and AMG models

CL500 4Matic

It is a transmission issues, though a powertrain transmission issue rather than gear change. However, I would not have known that were it not for this thread.

Advertisement