Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piek near Dublin

Options
  • 19-09-2008 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

How're lads planning on a trip for pike tomorrow, What's the best spot near Dublin?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Went to Loch Ramor in Virginia, Zilch! All day Sat and all morning Sunday. I didn't even see a fish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Cormdogg wrote: »
    Went to Loch Ramor in Virginia, Zilch! All day Sat and all morning Sunday. I didn't even see a fish!

I caught quite a few Perch there near Virginia last Saturday. I understand from a local that a few good sized pike were hooked early on Saturday. Where exactly were you fishing?

pm sent to you there schwarmi

Reply sent!

Was supposed to be heading to Leitrim on Sat but accom fell through so going to have another attempt at Lough Ramor. Hopefully wont have to sleep in the car again. The cost of boat rental we got from some guy called brady last time was €50 an hour,too steep for my liking so going to go by the shore again.Smaller spinners and hopefully frsh mackerel for bait this time,The roach we had last time had the consistancy of cornflakes and had no oil etc. So wish me luck and once again any tips will be welcome,Schwarmi has pointed me somewhat in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

50 quid an hour!! price is 40 per day in lakes! Use BIG spinners.

Goin to stay in St. Kryans b&b, Ill get out the big spinners so! Think we'll just go from the shore.

Em.. methinks maybe he said 50 quid per day on the phone,Its the language barrier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Cormdogg why not use a diferent deadbait?
    Try joey mackerel small mackerel or perhaps small perch or even trout bought in atackle shop not from a river just for conveinence.
    Roach as bait ae very good but can be very soft the other baits will stay on long after yoru rocah has fell off the hooks good look/

Got a boat on Saturday, €50 for half a day ,Went to the far side of the lake between the islands and the shore,No luck for ages,with silver,copper spoons,wild eye perch and pike,rapalas,tazzie devils.Nothing.Eventually pulled the boat in and fished off the far shore and we got one decent sized pike.Think we had enough after that,our boat was full of the pond weed we'd been dredging in all day. On Sunday we went down to the lake beside the school and we had great craic catching loads of perch.Of course we had been told there were no pike on this side of the lake but a fellah brought in two huge pike both on silver spoons,The second one mustve been 15+ easy. Another fellah got another whopper on a deadbait,it had only been in the water about 3 minutes and then people were catching a few smallish pike.We were too engrossed in our hang overs and perch competition to go after pike again.Great spot dont think Ill bother with the boat next time or the "Icon Night Club"!

• Advertisement

Anyone care to put a weight on that? First fish ever for my friend Dave on the left.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Three to three and a half pounds for the pike.

Good man Cormdogg, was my advice any good to you? :D

Sure was,We went around in circles on the boat,And when we were down at the school the next day saw plenty of big pike taken.We just sat and had a perch-off! A question about live baiting,is it morally wrong or was it banned to stop introducing fish from one area to another? I personally think its cheating, But we gave a little perch to a fellah and he set it out live for pike and got a whopper pike after about 2-3 minutes?Your thoughts? Anyways plenty of pike there,No locals there and all the locals told us there was no pike there.A traveller fellach caught a whopper on a silver spoon,Mustve been about 15lb and it was the second big one he caught,Both times he wouldn't touch the fish and a fellah from the Northside had to dehook it and put it back in the water,What would he have done if noone had been around?

Lough Ramor=Great spot!

I don't know about live baiting from the "morals" point of view, but I always thought it was banned. IIRC, the transfer of Roach from one watercourse to another was also banned around the same time.

I might hit Ramor myself again myself sometime next week during the day if the weather holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

coolwings wrote: »
    Three to three and a half pounds for the pike.

I would barely say it is a pound to be honest.

Advertisement