Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use my PS2 Controller on my PC?

Options
  • 19-09-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Probably a n00bish question but here it goes anyway:

If I buy this PS2 Controller USB Adaptor, will I be able to play the following games on my PC using the PS2 Controller?

- GRID
    - Need for Speed
    - Moto GP

I don't have a console anymore (PS2 Disc Player is dead) and I can't affort a PS3 or XboX so that would be the best solution for me!

Thank you for your help! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Hi guys,

Probably a n00bish question but here it goes anyway:

If I buy this PS2 Controller USB Adaptor, will I be able to play the following games on my PC using the PS2 Controller?

- GRID
    - Need for Speed
    - Moto GP

I don't have a console anymore (PS2 Disc Player is dead) and I can't affort a PS3 or XboX so that would be the best solution for me!

Thank you for your help! ;)

I have an adaptor similar to that one and I've never had any trouble getting it to work in any game. I haven't played the games you're asking about but I'd imagine they would be fine with it.
    Don't track me down and clout me on the head with it if it doesn't work, though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I have an adaptor similar to that one and I've never had any trouble getting it to work in any game. I haven't played the games you're asking about but I'd imagine they would be fine with it.
    Don't track me down and clout me on the head with it if it doesn't work, though. :)
    I'll give it a try sure! Did you buy your adaptor online or did you get it in a shop?

Oh and how do you "tell" your PC Game that you want to use the PS2 controller? Does it automatically know or do you have to mess around in the Options menu all the time?

Thanks again! ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Just a warning, newer games which use the "games for windows" branding may NOT work with any controller other than the xbox 360 pad, due to the xbox 360 pad using a newer controller api afaik, if you'll be playing newer games might be no harm trying a xbox 360 pad, most will work ok with the ps2 pad with manual configuration, also if a games giving trouble, give XPadder a go, it basicly emulates mouse & keyboard on the game pad allowing you to use the controller with any game :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I got mine on play.com a few years ago, primarily to play GTA3 and MAME stuff on my pc. It still works, even though I don't use it too often now. It comes with software that makes Windows see the controller as a joystick. Once the game can be played with a joystick, you're away with it. The software that came with mine also allowed you to map keyboard keys onto different buttons on the controller, so theoretically it could be used in any game. I found this harder to set up, but presumably the technology and the software has advanced since I got mine so hopefully it would be easier to work with a newer style of device.

EDIT: I was typing my reply while yoyo was posting his. As I said, I haven't used mine too much in the last while so it may not work with newer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Cheers guys!

I've ordered a cheap USB adaptor from Honk-Kong on eBay. I'll try to figure it out and make it work when I get it! If I can't, I'll dig up this thread and call upon you for help! :D

Thanks again for your help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement