Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bond Theme Song

Options
  • 19-09-2008 1:26pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭

Anyone heard it yet?
    Jack White and Alicia Keys.
    :eek: Terrible. Just terrible.
    And let me count the ways:
    1. Timing: there are numerous occasions where the guitar riff goes out of time with the drums. It's sloppy throughout.
    2. Melody. It's like a collection of undeveloped half ideas. The vocal harmonies are terrible, particularly in the "chorus". Her melody line pivots around the one note but is dominant in the mix and just sounds like shouting due to it being so melodically flat.
    3. Arrangement. There's no hook, the structure is loose, and it's totally unsuited to the orchestra in the background. All you get is these quick stabs, which don't help melodically and which seem, you guessed it, out of time in places.
    4. Performance. Not good. There's a few times where there vocal pitch issues, one of which is cringe inducing.
    5. Production. The vocals sound like the were recorded in a toilet with a tin roof and mirrors on all the walls. It's woeful.

To me the whole thing just comes off like a sub-par White Stripes tune with an orchestra tacked on, with an R&B singer trying and failing to sing in a rock style.

Movie better be good to sit through this bloody mess at the start.

What I'm really surprised at, is how this got approval?
    How did a producer or director or whoever was in charge not listen to it and say: "God, that's pants."
    ??
    Unbelievable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭danjokill

fitz wrote: »
    Anyone heard it yet?
    Jack White and Alicia Keys.
    :eek: Terrible. Just terrible.
    And let me count the ways:
    1. Timing: there are numerous occasions where the guitar riff goes out of time with the drums. It's sloppy throughout.
    2. Melody. It's like a collection of undeveloped half ideas. The vocal harmonies are terrible, particularly in the "chorus". Her melody line pivots around the one note but is dominant in the mix and just sounds like shouting due to it being so melodically flat.
    3. Arrangement. There's no hook, the structure is loose, and it's totally unsuited to the orchestra in the background. All you get is these quick stabs, which don't help melodically and which seem, you guessed it, out of time in places.
    4. Performance. Not good. There's a few times where there vocal pitch issues, one of which is cringe inducing.
    5. Production. The vocals sound like the were recorded in a toilet with a tin roof and mirrors on all the walls. It's woeful.

To me the whole thing just comes off like a sub-par White Stripes tune with an orchestra tacked on, with an R&B singer trying and failing to sing in a rock style.

Movie better be good to sit through this bloody mess at the start.

What I'm really surprised at, is how this got approval?
    How did a producer or director or whoever was in charge not listen to it and say: "God, that's pants."
    ??
    Unbelievable.

Bit of a "Tony Iommi -Iron Man" guitar sound going on .....

Vocal do sound Tin ....
    Pitch defo drifts in a few spots ....
    Timing is out ......
    However : All of these sloppy issues have been left in for a production taste
    But i don't dislike it ....... But have heard much better bond tunes for sure!!!!

Here it is
    http://www.imeem.com/people/Gnuk1-O/music/PFQVHzx8/alicia_keys_another_way_to_die_feat_jack_white/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭fitz

I understand it's been left in deliberately, but I really feel it doesn't work. It's at odds with the orchestral backing.
    Sloppy sounds sloppier when it's set against something distinctly unsloppy.

Had high hiopes when I heard the very first guitar riff, then it just all goes to weak-ass hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Standard White Stripes noise with a Joanna and a Bird singing, No? ..... oh and a brass band? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭danjokill

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Standard White Stripes noise with a Joanna and a Bird singing, No? ..... oh and a brass band? No?

LOL
    That about sum's it up!!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭fitz

Pretty much.
    I dislike the White Stripes, but like The Racontuers, so hoped this would be more like the later. Unfortunately, it sounds like a bad WS castoff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just heard it on the Guardian website its terrible stuff altogether. Messy "tune", poor vocals.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Yeah.. Just checked this out.

Its a bit busy, isnt it?!

Its an "ok" tune in places I suppose..

Nonetheless - a typical Bond wnak-a-thon.. Hurrah!!

"..Lets just through the kitchen sink in the middle bit for good measure.."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I've been listening a bit to the WS lately. Not into it, I think much of their music is sh1t and samey samey.

UK Radio 1 is on pretty much 24/7 in my house.

They have a much better playlist IMO & you get to hear music on primetime radio that you certainly would not hear over here.

Anyway..

Edith Bowman (:rolleyes:) played this tune today.. was giving it a huge build-up..

Lots of people texted in afterwards.. saying it was brilliant.. how they loved Keys & White and how it was great to have them together on one song etc..

Not one negative.. and Radio 1 would usually be honest & say if some people thought it was sh1t.

So it seems like most of the British public that was listening to R1 today liked it a lot.

Its the 1st time that I heard it on big speakers.

100% - There are parts where they're really out of tune. Mainly Keys I think - but would have to hear it again.

She is definitely taking you on a journey as she climbs the slopes of her range.

Its obvious that the majority of the audience will miss the imperfections..

To be fair to the great unwashed - isnt it amazing to be able to enjoy something w/out analysing it to fcuk? These people still possess that innocence & to be honest I envy them in a way.

However it is a complete load of wnak. The money it must have cost. What a waste.

One texter summed it all up..

"I dont care what it sounds like.. I just cant wait to see Daniel Craig again.."

Cnuts :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

But... but...

I quite liked it... :(

• Advertisement

ICN wrote: »
    UK Radio 1 is on pretty much 24/7 in my house.

BBC 6music, that's what you want! Radio 1 is for kids....No?

BBC 6music, that's what you want! Radio 1 is for kids....No?

Ouch! :pac:

R6 - Its only DAB / Online.. and Sky? Y/N?

I've got an Old Skool Radio & me ex-WWII aerial apparatus up in the attic. I dont gets them fancy R6.

Nah.. In my house we want light, throwaway, meaningless background noise..

I know the Blizzards also fit into that catagory perfectly Paul.. But we do like Radio 1, and the Blizzards are never on it, so thats a bonus! :p

LOL

So Big Kid - I like Radio 1.. What was the topic again? :):):)

Ouch! :pac:

R6 - Its only DAB / Online.. and Sky? Y/N?

I've got an Old Skool Radio & me ex-WWII aerial apparatus up in the attic. I dont gets them fancy R6.

Nah.. In my house we want light, throwaway, meaningless background noise..

I know the Blizzards also fit into that catagory perfectly Paul.. But we do like Radio 1, and the Blizzards are never on it, so thats a bonus! :p

LOL

So Big Kid - I like Radio 1.. What was the topic again? :):):)

Ah, right! I smell what you're steppin' in, ok!:pac:

It was through Radio 1 I discovered 6, actually.

Bowman is ok . She had a good vibe going with that Northy bloke.... but some of the tunes wore me out a bit, yer Kate Nash and Jack Penate etc.

If you like 1 you'll like 6, music's a notch up and better jokes!

I'm not sure the Blizzs will be troubling R1 any time soon ......

To be honest Mate.. I havent heard her on the Radio in a good while.

I dont know if she's been away & just back or what.. I obviously have not been paying attention.

She drives me mad. She is so Fcuking soulless. Every year she's doing T in the park or Reading or something.. Every year with the same bands. Boring.

Groundhog day all over again.

I really hate her.

She is a just clone that they stuck a scottish voicebox into at some point over @ MTV.

AND - Her one dimensioness is revealeled without Colin Murray making all the jokes.. Because.. She has no personality!!

Drives me stone mad. Rant over.

I really hate her.

???

Why bother?

Erm.. for the reasons previously mentioned.

In the shell of a nut - She's just completely soulless. Always stikes me as just going through the motions.

Anyway - I'll meet her in limbo no doubt sometime in the future & we'll have a great laugh about it all :pac:

Erm.. for the reasons previously mentioned.

In the shell of a nut - She's just completely soulless. Always stikes me as just going through the motions.

Anyway - I'll meet her in limbo no doubt sometime in the future & we'll have a great laugh about it all :pac:

It's Radio 1! Wha ya expect?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've heard this "song" and it's rubbish. Way too pop like and forgettable. Why oh why hasn't Goldfrapp done a Bond theme yet?

They'd do a really cool, elegant and polished track that would be memorable instead of this tat.

I heard Edith Bowman is going to be the new Bond ...

It's Radio 1! Wha ya expect?

MMMMMMM.......

Well.. The other presenters do have some redeeming qualities.

Bowman has none.

Oh, wait.. I heard Edith Bowman is going to be the new Bond ... Villan?

A Scottish Lady after 20 Blue WKD's and a game of Whist?

Bond would have definitely met his match me'thinks! :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement